CCA in ear monitors Impressions Thread
Aug 12, 2021 at 12:23 AM Post #2,792 of 3,770
From what I've seen thus far, the CCA NRA will feature a triple-coil dynamic and a magnetostatic driver, similar to the Shuoer Tape. I can only hope that they use a proper full-range DD and just cross in the magnetostatic driver at around 7kHz so it doesn't end up with the weird treble harmonic spikes of the Tape and Tape Pro. I had really been hoping for them to use a BA for the mids, since their DDs seem optimally suited for the lower register as it is, but we will have to see how they've tuned it and wait for review samples to circulate and brave souls to blind buy them for review.

I am excited to see how CCA will be retuning the AST, given how I am quite fond of the CKX. I'm hoping they don't try to brighten it up too dramatically. Just a more even treble response would do that more than adequately, so I'm hoping they don't go for even more overall treble gain. I also appreciate that their shell design for the C24 appears to be ever so slightly smaller than the AST, so it looks like the guys at CCA may have taken a swing at repackaging the 3D printed sound tube array for it to make it more compact.

Aug 12, 2021 at 6:53 AM Post #2,793 of 3,770
From what I've seen thus far, the CCA NRA will feature a triple-coil dynamic and a magnetostatic driver, similar to the Shuoer Tape. I can only hope that they use a proper full-range DD and just cross in the magnetostatic driver at around 7kHz so it doesn't end up with the weird treble harmonic spikes of the Tape and Tape Pro. I had really been hoping for them to use a BA for the mids, since their DDs seem optimally suited for the lower register as it is, but we will have to see how they've tuned it and wait for review samples to circulate and brave souls to blind buy them for review.

I am excited to see how CCA will be retuning the AST, given how I am quite fond of the CKX. I'm hoping they don't try to brighten it up too dramatically. Just a more even treble response would do that more than adequately, so I'm hoping they don't go for even more overall treble gain. I also appreciate that their shell design for the C24 appears to be ever so slightly smaller than the AST, so it looks like the guys at CCA may have taken a swing at repackaging the 3D printed sound tube array for it to make it more compact.
It sounds similar to the Earbridge driver (used in the tape):
1628765572630.png

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-world-s-first-magneto-static-earphone-hpsd-e70#/

Aug 12, 2021 at 7:19 AM Post #2,794 of 3,770
Aug 12, 2021 at 7:22 AM Post #2,795 of 3,770
Hopefully it's a new revision of it. Based on how the tape graphed, they crossed it over too early and had to put too much current into the magnetostat driver to compensate for it's less than stellar lower treble performance. I'm hoping for a better DD that can be crossed over at a higher frequency.
That driver is also used in these iems:
graph - 2021-08-12T132047.277.png

graph - 2021-08-12T132056.851.png

The gain is different but they definitely share the same peaks...

Aug 12, 2021 at 7:24 AM Post #2,796 of 3,770
That driver is also used in these iems:
graph - 2021-08-12T132047.277.png
graph - 2021-08-12T132056.851.png
The gain is different but they definitely share the same peaks...
The ItsFit Fusion has an odd 1kHz dip, but it's got the more appealing graph to me. The 4kHz and 6.5kHz dips align well with where I'm particularly sensitive. If the NRA comes out with a similar graph in the $60-$70 price point, it will be very attractive. That sub-bass gain looks super appealing.

Aug 12, 2021 at 7:25 AM Post #2,797 of 3,770
The ItsFit Fusion has an odd 1kHz dip, but it's got the more appealing graph to me. The 4kHz and 6.5kHz dips align well with where I'm particularly sensitive. If the NRA comes out with a similar graph in the $60-$70 price point, it will be very attractive. That sub-bass gain looks super appealing.
Didn't someone say it was 23 usd (on the kz thread)? :joy:

Aug 12, 2021 at 7:38 AM Post #2,798 of 3,770
Ok What, I just asked CCA. This will cost 150 RMB and it is a 3 core DD + one electrostatic!!!!!!
Found it. If it does drop at that price and the graphs arent as scary as the Shuoer Tape or especially the Tape Pro it'll be an immediate purchase for me. I loved the air in the original Tape that my friend let me listen to, but $125 is steep for the flaws it had. $25 is just about perfect.

Aug 12, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #2,799 of 3,770
Found it. If it does drop at that price and the graphs arent as scary as the Shuoer Tape or especially the Tape Pro it'll be an immediate purchase for me. I loved the air in the original Tape that my friend let me listen to, but $125 is steep for the flaws it had. $25 is just about perfect.
Damn I thought you mean you found the graph.

Aug 12, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #2,800 of 3,770
Aug 15, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #2,801 of 3,770
CCA NRA vs GK10. Anybody taking bets yet? There's a claim on the latter's thread that it's using a ZSN DD on the bottom end. So ... out of the gate the NRA will have a newer DD design, and be half the price.

@mndless, based on your sig updates it looks like the hype washed right over you and left a mark x-D my GK10 set arrives at the end of the week. If nothing else, I think my wife will like the shape and color. She spends most of her headset time watching netflix where the bass bloat probably works out for being driven straight off a phone at lower volumes.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #2,802 of 3,770
I spent all my listening today with the C12s playing old 70's jazz and movie OST from Japan. This album is on Spotify, too. so many layers and little details and strange noises in the background. There's so much detail in these that they're still one of my favorite pairs and I have not tired of them in any way. I haven't tried the various 16* CCA units because it seemed like the treble had been toned down. I'm hoping the new 24 BA unit leaves a bit of the old KZ sparkle in there and isn't dark like the AST - will be ordering those blind when they're ready. Fire up all those BAs -

And this ...stock up that cocktail bar, comb out the shag rug and invite some friends over because you're gonna have a groovy time. All jokes aside, this is an insanely clean recording.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #2,803 of 3,770
CCA NRA vs GK10. Anybody taking bets yet? There's a claim on the latter's thread that it's using a ZSN DD on the bottom end. So ... out of the gate the NRA will have a newer DD design, and be half the price.

@mndless, based on your sig updates it looks like the hype washed right over you and left a mark x-D my GK10 set arrives at the end of the week. If nothing else, I think my wife will like the shape and color. She spends most of her headset time watching netflix where the bass bloat probably works out for being driven straight off a phone at lower volumes.
I just have to assume I got a lemon with my set of GK10, as they really did just sound too bad for it to have been intentional. And if I wasn't jaded enough about humanity thanks to people's response to my relatively safe commentary about what I heard from them, when I tried to get a return & refund on them, HiFiGo decided to do some shady crap and tried to deny my refund and blame me for not liking them just because of my listening preferences and that they were totally working fine because they made sound. Yeah, bad idea to play hardball when you're on the Amazon Marketplace with it's A-to-Z Guarantee.

Aug 19, 2021 at 6:43 AM Post #2,804 of 3,770
I just have to assume I got a lemon with my set of GK10, as they really did just sound too bad for it to have been intentional. And if I wasn't jaded enough about humanity thanks to people's response to my relatively safe commentary about what I heard from them, when I tried to get a return & refund on them, HiFiGo decided to do some shady crap and tried to deny my refund and blame me for not liking them just because of my listening preferences and that they were totally working fine because they made sound. Yeah, bad idea to play hardball when you're on the Amazon Marketplace with it's A-to-Z Guarantee.

Ouch, that bites. I have worked for Chinese and Singapore electronics firms over the course of my career (including a stint in RMA dept), as well as a short period at the 'zon as one of the middle mgmt pointy-hairs. Hopefully the below doesn't sound preachy or anything, but I know the tug-of-war here pretty well. As a westerner, when dealing with Chinese vendors you must be both persistent and assertive yet friendly in negotiation. It doesn't always work, but ignoring complaints and convincing dissatisfied clients that a problem was their fault is their first step to protecting the bottom line. Know that haggling is a common part of Chinese culture and that they expect it, but as soon as a westerner turns aggressive they will just ghost them in every way possible, and then leverage an example of the anger as the reason he or she was ignored if called upon by some form of authority.

Further more, know that warranties and returns are western concepts that don't have much meaning in China proper. That doesn't mean that Chinese consumers have any more tolerance for buying junk or not being vocal about it when something breaks or is bad, it's just a different communication process for addressing issues. The charming thing to me about Chinese culture is how ruthlessly commercial it can be. There is 6,000 years of continuous history behind their habits. Better luck next time, and indeed using the 'zon to order is the best bet of recovering your cash in the event of problems.

Aug 19, 2021 at 7:00 AM Post #2,805 of 3,770
Ouch, that bites. I have worked for Chinese and Singapore electronics firms over the course of my career (including a stint in RMA dept), as well as a short period at the 'zon as one of the middle mgmt pointy-hairs. Hopefully the below doesn't sound preachy or anything, but I know the tug-of-war here pretty well. As a westerner, when dealing with Chinese vendors you must be both persistent and assertive yet friendly in negotiation. It doesn't always work, but ignoring complaints and convincing dissatisfied clients that a problem was their fault is their first step to protecting the bottom line. Know that haggling is a common part of Chinese culture and that they expect it, but as soon as a westerner turns aggressive they will just ghost them in every way possible, and then leverage an example of the anger as the reason he or she was ignored if called upon by some form of authority.

Further more, know that warranties and returns are western concepts that don't have much meaning in China proper. That doesn't mean that Chinese consumers have any more tolerance for buying junk or not being vocal about it when something breaks or is bad, it's just a different communication process for addressing issues. The charming thing to me about Chinese culture is how ruthlessly commercial it can be. There is 6,000 years of continuous history behind their habits. Better luck next time, and indeed using the 'zon to order is the best bet of recovering your cash in the event of problems.
Yeah, they're going to learn the hard way that Bezos' empire, while painfully frugal in the most capitalist ways behind the scenes, is built on the premise of trying to ensure customer satisfaction. Having a premier club in the form of Prime members makes this even more pronounced. Having been a prime member for the better part of a decade at this point, it's hard for them to refuse me a refund when I go through the proper procedure.

If they aren't going to ensure quality control from their product providers, then they're just going to have to eat the losses when Amazon forces matters on their behalf. Additionally, I understand that companies get really troubled by people abusing the return policies because they're dissatisfied with the tuning, but if you neglect to provide them with the appropriate information to make informed purchasing decisions, then it is only to be expected that this is the inevitable outcome. Graphs and driver breakdowns really should be the bare minimum of due diligence to ensure that customers won't wrongfully abuse your return policy. This is why my ability to sympathize with their plight is tempered drastically by their general lack of care when trying to provide their customers with the information that would be useful for an informed purchase.

It is helpful to have that insight into the southeast Asian business culture like that. I feel like I already knew some of that, but this did help to remind me of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back