Cayin YB04 In-Ear Monitor
Dec 31, 2020 at 9:15 PM Post #151 of 167
Missing mine so much and looking to replace them. Anybody??? PM welcome!

Jan 6, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #152 of 167
Hello everyone, I’m looking forward to buy YB04 at used price. But this IEM is not that much popular on online sites compared to other IEMs. Also, I have read mixed reviews on this pair but I think generally it seems like a good pair regardless. May I know few things of this IEM from user opinions for more information than already existing from reviewers,

1) Is the low mids tone down or pretty balanced with upper mids which make male vocal has more warmth and natural,

2) Does piano strikes and saxaphone or other flutes instruments sound realistic and extended with their harmonics,

3) I read bass sounds rather light or lean despite sporting famously known Sonion woofer? Is this curable with tips and cable rolling?

For reference, I’m currently using Tanchjim Oxygen, Noble Savant, Final Audio Heaven IV, Vision Ears VE3.

Thank you for the help and hope can hear more from fellow audiophiles 🙏

Mar 21, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #154 of 167
Missing mine so much and looking to replace them. Anybody??? PM welcome!

Hello everyone, I’m looking forward to buy YB04 at used price. But this IEM is not that much popular on online sites compared to other IEMs. Also, I have read mixed reviews on this pair but I think generally it seems like a good pair regardless. May I know few things of this IEM from user opinions for more information than already existing from reviewers,

1) Is the low mids tone down or pretty balanced with upper mids which make male vocal has more warmth and natural,

2) Does piano strikes and saxaphone or other flutes instruments sound realistic and extended with their harmonics,

3) I read bass sounds rather light or lean despite sporting famously known Sonion woofer? Is this curable with tips and cable rolling?

For reference, I’m currently using Tanchjim Oxygen, Noble Savant, Final Audio Heaven IV, Vision Ears VE3.

Thank you for the help and hope can hear more from fellow audiophiles 🙏
I'm thinking of letting go of these as I've recently bought myself a VE8.

Mar 21, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #155 of 167
I'm thinking of letting go of these as I've recently bought myself a VE8.
Thanks for the reply but I am no longer in the market. I bought a Volt and am very satisfied!

Mar 22, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #156 of 167
I think many haven’t heard the true performance of YB04 if they stick with stock cable. I hv always been thinking theres something wrong with my set because it doesnt hv the extension down low. I even thought I need a source with higher impedance output than my player (DX200 and Chord Mojo) but its actually the stock cable is in reversed polarity. Or either one is in reversed. It takes a whole lot from YB04 capabilities. I changed their polarity of each channels and it sounded glorious but the angle of wearing is all odd and far from normal since its cable uses qdc connector with earguide. I bought a relatively cheap OCC copper cable with regular 2 pin cable without earguide, and connect them in the right polarity, now it sounds like a baby U12T. Had them compared side by side with my brother’s and we both agree that YB04 is not that far behind from U12T(stock cable). I think for its asking price, its beyond a steal and heavily underrated. But Cayin needs to figure their crucial item inventory more carefully. Giving wrong polarity cable is a grave sin for $500 item. Or maybe, its only my set that is wrong. Otherwise, you get yourself a big winner here. I’m still happy though once I figured everything out.

Edit: now I heard the bass is all normal and they hit like a champ without all the nasty BA timbre. Its a bit the same with U12T bass nature but U12T comes with all the textures and nuances. The overall sound is now more fluid, imaging improved, depth and tall are all in their positions. Its much much better than how I thought it sounds. (Almost wanted to put them on listing sell)

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #158 of 167
Before you let it go, may you go through my previous post and give it a try and compare against VE8? lol I know the price difference is staggering. It would be just for fun. 🙏😅
I pre-ordered my VE8 so it might take weeks before I get them. Bought myself an MEST while I'm waiting. The YB04 prevented me from buying the andromeda. They are tonally accurate imho, listening to jazz and vocals; they are a delight. Even someone like Gregory Porter sounds pretty good for male vocals. Oh and the cayin pairs well with my Aresii cable.

Mar 22, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #159 of 167
Cant wait to hear your feedback soon oh VE8. I have Ares II paired with Cayin as well. Exchanging polarity seems to yield a better result too for Ares II as the stock cable would do. Its weird. Maybe it is the YB04 connecter is the one with reversed polarity. I hope I’m the only one with this issue. Probably a bad batch

Mar 28, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #160 of 167
Before you let it go, may you go through my previous post and give it a try and compare against VE8? lol I know the price difference is staggering. It would be just for fun. 🙏😅

Cayin sounds airier, like a feather-y quality to the mids; ve8 has more weight and texture (though I must say there's a lifelike breathing quality to the latter's mids). Ve8 has a weightier low end, including both bass and subs.

I'm sending my ve8 back to the shop since the left nozzle is broken, so my impressions isn't as 100% fully accurate. The VE8 wins because of this realistic weight and great overall balance, which complements pretty much any genre (and you won't be missing much bass... unless you are a stickler for dd bass texturing)

Mar 29, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #161 of 167
Cayin sounds airier, like a feather-y quality to the mids; ve8 has more weight and texture (though I must say there's a lifelike breathing quality to the latter's mids). Ve8 has a weightier low end, including both bass and subs.

I'm sending my ve8 back to the shop since the left nozzle is broken, so my impressions isn't as 100% fully accurate. The VE8 wins because of this realistic weight and great overall balance, which complements pretty much any genre (and you won't be missing much bass... unless you are a stickler for dd bass texturing)

So sorry to hear about your VE8. Hope you will get it sorted out nicely. I hv VE3 which is said to be tonally the same as VE8 without technical chops. Crinacle said it. And to my ears, their 3 drivers integration are simply superb. Just a minor problem for me is, their timbre has tint of typical BA timbre. I suspect I paired them with a SPC cable that came with my other IEM. Other than that, I can imagine that VE8 being more superior all the way than already great VE3. Is the VE8 a universal or custom set? (Am not too sure if they are strictly for custom order though)

Mar 29, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #162 of 167
So sorry to hear about your VE8. Hope you will get it sorted out nicely. I hv VE3 which is said to be tonally the same as VE8 without technical chops. Crinacle said it. And to my ears, their 3 drivers integration are simply superb. Just a minor problem for me is, their timbre has tint of typical BA timbre. I suspect I paired them with a SPC cable that came with my other IEM. Other than that, I can imagine that VE8 being more superior all the way than already great VE3. Is the VE8 a universal or custom set? (Am not too sure if they are strictly for custom order though)

I recently took advantage of the 18% (don't remember exactly) discount on the VE 8THanniversary deal on the universal. Now they back to over 2k in the price tag. I bought them when they similarly priced to the U12T.

I'm starting to miss the palpability of singers...😫 the texture and weight are that good, throw in some compelling quality to the mids, and it's basically my ideal set.

The sound is very forward compared to the almost laid back don't give a damn yb04

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #163 of 167
I recently took advantage of the 18% (don't remember exactly) discount on the VE 8THanniversary deal on the universal. Now they back to over 2k in the price tag. I bought them when they similarly priced to the U12T.

I'm starting to miss the palpability of singers...😫 the texture and weight are that good, throw in some compelling quality to the mids, and it's basically my ideal set.

The sound is very forward compared to the almost laid back don't give a damn yb04

Just when I thought I hv heard the best IEM, U12T, maybe this one would be even more poisonous. I can see how you’d feel all those technicalities. I think VE8 is probably the hallmark for technicalities and perfect tonal balance for the summit-fi echelon which is really rare. YB04, I just love them for tonal quality they possess with a not bad technicality. For the price, I really really like them. Making the Blessing 2 sounds a bit thinner in bodies and lesser depth quality than YB04. But B2 is not at all a bad IEM. Think, YB04 sits nicely on that spot. VE8 will keep be nirvana or utopia rank for me to reach one day. Hopefully

Mar 29, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #164 of 167
Just when I thought I hv heard the best IEM, U12T, maybe this one would be even more poisonous. I can see how you’d feel all those technicalities. I think VE8 is probably the hallmark for technicalities and perfect tonal balance for the summit-fi echelon which is really rare. YB04, I just love them for tonal quality they possess with a not bad technicality. For the price, I really really like them. Making the Blessing 2 sounds a bit thinner in bodies and lesser depth quality than YB04. But B2 is not at all a bad IEM. Think, YB04 sits nicely on that spot. VE8 will keep be nirvana or utopia rank for me to reach one day. Hopefully

Worth saving up. YB04 is definitely an underrated gem here - imho. I'll still listen to them depending on the mood.
They actually do make a (literal) solid daily beater.

Mar 29, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #165 of 167
Worth saving up. YB04 is definitely an underrated gem here - imho. I'll still listen to them depending on the mood.
They actually do make a (literal) solid daily beater.

Indeed! Ha, I still can’t make myself shy away from your dismissal on getting Andromeda after acquiring YB04? Have you listened to the Andro before getting the YB04?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back