Cayin RU7: 1-Bit Resistor Network Dongle DAC /Amp
Feb 13, 2024 at 6:05 PM Post #1,981 of 2,182
The screen does turn off automatically. Also volume is controlled on the unit instead of your Macbook.
Yes, I am aware that the screen turns off automatically. It works at first after plugging into my Mac or iPhone, then while playing songs the controls just die (not just go to sleep) but you can keep playing music at whatever level you had. You cannot get back the controls until you unplug and replug in the device.

Feb 13, 2024 at 7:41 PM Post #1,982 of 2,182
Perhaps have a look at the denafrips prodducts or the gustard r26?

Hi, I own the RU 7 and use it as the dac in front of the cayin HA-3A and it sounds so pleasing, especially when using my hifiman R10P.
To be clear - it sounds better than my Saber ess9038q2m dac in my 5000€ All-in-one AVM CS2.3 - it's so ridiculous.
So now I wonder if there is a more mature fullsize dac that combines that pretty timbre and smooth trebles with better bass, resolution etc. in the 2k budget range.
Perhaps have a look at the gustard r26 or products by

Feb 13, 2024 at 11:47 PM Post #1,983 of 2,182
CF5825FF-13C7-41CD-815E-666B3A1151A0.jpeg
Got my dongle yesterday. Great with masskobo 475

Feb 14, 2024 at 4:31 AM Post #1,984 of 2,182
Well i got the menu sorted and had a listening session earlier with the dunu alpha 3, dont like the fit of those earbuds. I have it on high gain 256 dsd but the unit does get hot fast. Not sure if that is an isue or not. It sounds really good though.
Will be using this mostly in situations where I am away from my home system but stationary and have to hear some stuff on occasion.
Thinking of pairing it with hifiman arya organic with an aftermarket balanced cable.
Has anyone tried this combo?
Thanks,
Greetings, Anouk,

Feb 14, 2024 at 6:22 AM Post #1,985 of 2,182
I have had some time now to do some relaxed listening on my own and just wow. I havent felt so much pure musical joy since my first audiophone buy back in 2004 orso the headroom desktop amp/dac combo with max modules. Just such real music not digital or anything just the music as it should be. I cant describe it. Even tubes though nice did not give me the same feeling.
I had a nice old record player at primary school perhaps its a bit like that.
Especially with accouustic music just beautiful and totally engaging.
And that with just the dunu alpha 3.
Seriously thinking about buying an r2r desktop system even though I am not sure how much use it would get because it just sounds so beautiful and want to see what something a bit bigger can do.
Did honestly not expect this because I have owned so so so much different gear over the years.
But this just did it for me.

Feb 14, 2024 at 11:16 AM Post #1,988 of 2,182
Hello again,I have a question, this is perhaps comparing apples to oranges but has anyone been able to listen to both the ru7 and the desktop hifiman ef400? Are they much alike soundwise both being r2r or totally different?
Thanks in advance for any info
Greetings, Anouk,
RU7 doesn't have a ladder DAC.

Feb 14, 2024 at 12:51 PM Post #1,989 of 2,182
Hello again,I have a question, this is perhaps comparing apples to oranges but has anyone been able to listen to both the ru7 and the desktop hifiman ef400? Are they much alike soundwise both being r2r or totally different?
Thanks in advance for any info
Greetings, Anouk,
I have both. They are both musical and engaging; but also very different. The EF400 renders micro details better whereas the RU7 is more lush sounding. EF400 is r2r; RU7 is 1-Bit typology.

Feb 14, 2024 at 7:50 PM Post #1,991 of 2,182
Greetings, have you perceived any noise from the ru7 or dap through the 475 ?
Not at listenable volume. Do you mean like electronic noise ? If it’s that this video I made can explain it.

4 4mm Interconnect are not made the same..Fixing the Mass Kobo 475 issue.

Feb 14, 2024 at 8:31 PM Post #1,992 of 2,182
Not at listenable volume. Do you mean like electronic noise ? If it’s that this video I made can explain it.

4 4mm Interconnect are not made the same..Fixing the Mass Kobo 475 issue.

Have you used a balanced cable for your Simgot EA1000's in combination with the RU7? If so which one? I know its not really necessary, but just a curiosity.

Feb 14, 2024 at 8:43 PM Post #1,993 of 2,182
Have you used a balanced cable for your Simgot EA1000's in combination with the RU7? If so which one? I know its not really necessary, but just a curiosity.
I use single ended. I damaged my ea1000 socket sometime back so it’s kinda soldered on now. On the RU7 if I go via single ended, I can hear some low noise once I enter the 3rd bank (80).

Listening volume is 33 for me.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2024 at 10:26 PM Post #1,994 of 2,182
Not advisable.

Both the 3.5mm and 4.4mm ports will be outputting different volumes and if the transducers have different sensitivity/Impedance, that worsens it.

One listener is gonna blow his ears off, the other might not be hearing well due to low volumes.
thanks! does it work with microphone (in mic headphones are plugged in)
irig lav mic. it says it works with apple dongle.
does it have a special soft for windows PC? to use as sound card?
no delay?

Feb 14, 2024 at 11:01 PM Post #1,995 of 2,182
thanks! does it work with microphone (in mic headphones are plugged in)
irig lav mic. it says it works with apple dongle.
does it have a special soft for windows PC? to use as sound card?
no delay?

I don't use mic headphones, hope someone else can advise on this.

For the RU7, it does not need any drivers for Windows 10 and above (hope yours is not a legacy old windows version though).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back