Cayin RU7: 1-Bit Resistor Network Dongle DAC /Amp
Feb 9, 2024 at 5:20 AM Post #1,966 of 2,146
1000014868.jpg1000014779.jpg

My brand new Ru7 has arrived just before the lunar new year, and it fills my heart with joy!

With the all-to-DSD 256 option, I am deeply impressed by its ability to bring forth highly detailed sounds with remarkable levels of separation and layering. Despite being a dongle, it creates a breathtakingly expansive, holographic 3D soundstage. The timbre quality is equally impressive, it sounds natural and lifelike, with big big yet precise imaging and an energetically tuned sound, creating an immersive listening experience. The dynamic range is also respectable.

Overall, this device delivers a very complete sound with minimal compromises for such a small device. I'm very please with my Ru7 purchase far. This impressions are based on my use with the Moondrop Chu. Currently, my IER-M9 and Topping G5 are currently not in my vicinity, but I am excited to pair them with my Ru7!:L3000:
I see you also have an LG V50. Would you say RU7 is much better? I have an LG V40 and a Moodrop Aria.

regards,
Simon

Feb 9, 2024 at 9:45 AM Post #1,967 of 2,146
I see you also have an LG V50. Would you say RU7 is much better? I have an LG V40 and a Moodrop Aria.

regards,
Simon
Oh, I forgot to remove the V50 from my currently owned source list. However, from my memory of the V50 sound, its simply not in the same league of the Ru7.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2024 at 5:41 PM Post #1,968 of 2,146
Has anyone ran into any issues where you get audio from one device but not another? Up until yesterday both my iPad and iPhone with USB-C would provide audio but as of today only my iPhone does.

I can see the iPad recognizes the ru7 as the output shows that but there’s no audio. Has anyone been able to solve this?

Thanks!

Feb 11, 2024 at 1:40 AM Post #1,971 of 2,146
Can it power 2 headphones at the same time (3.5 and 4.4) like mojo does?

Not advisable.

Both the 3.5mm and 4.4mm ports will be outputting different volumes and if the transducers have different sensitivity/Impedance, that worsens it.

One listener is gonna blow his ears off, the other might not be hearing well due to low volumes.

Feb 11, 2024 at 10:09 AM Post #1,972 of 2,146
Any recommendation for an aftermarket USB C cable for RU7?

Feb 12, 2024 at 3:52 PM Post #1,973 of 2,146
Last edited:
Feb 13, 2024 at 11:01 AM Post #1,974 of 2,146
it will remain the same if you're using it in Phone Out mode. Meaning if you were to use it at 64/128/256 and Low/High gain, it will remain the same after you unplug then plug it. However, if you're using it in LO mode, it will revert to PO mode
Thanks for that clear and helpful information. I am not intending to ever use it in lineout mode so i will be good after setting it once and thats great.
Mine arrived after just one week from hifigo with their standard postage option. Really impressed.

Feb 13, 2024 at 11:08 AM Post #1,975 of 2,146
Just got the ddHiFi TC07S cable for my RU7, and it took things to another level. The sound has become fuller and more refined, and the stage has become more expansive as well. I also, don't hear the intermittent popping/static at all. Can't recommend this cable enough!

Feb 13, 2024 at 11:59 AM Post #1,976 of 2,146
Well mine just arrived after just 1 week after ordering from hifigo. With just their standard post option. Really impressed.
I really like the packaging for once i dont need scissors or a knife to ope nthe blister wrap.
Dont think i will be using the case or the magnet thingies but they are a nice touch.
The unit itself is smaller and lighter then I thought it would be although it is fairly long. I really like the feel of the housing that will go nicely with my iphone although that IS in its protective case.

Feb 13, 2024 at 12:19 PM Post #1,977 of 2,146
Just got the ddHiFi TC07S cable for my RU7, and it took things to another level. The sound has become fuller and more refined, and the stage has become more expansive as well. I also, don't hear the intermittent popping/static at all. Can't recommend this cable enough!
Thanks for the sharing. I just bought that cable from linsoul as well )hifigo had shipping costs and linsoul did not'. I guess it will take a while to get here with Chinese new year but till then the default cable will do. Interesting to find out if I will be able to hear any differences when it gets here.
With some dongledacs in the past i had volume drop outs but that was before I had the iphone 15 so fingers crossed

Feb 13, 2024 at 3:21 PM Post #1,978 of 2,146
I just purchased an RU7 and noticed that the display will not turn back on during the playing of a song - cannot adjust volume either. Assuming this is defective? I am using their USB-C cable to both my iPhone and Macbook pro and Balanced headphone cable.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2024 at 5:15 PM Post #1,979 of 2,146
Hi, I own the RU 7 and use it as the dac in front of the cayin HA-3A and it sounds so pleasing, especially when using my hifiman R10P.
To be clear - it sounds better than my Saber ess9038q2m dac in my 5000€ All-in-one AVM CS2.3 - it's so ridiculous.
So now I wonder if there is a more mature fullsize dac that combines that pretty timbre and smooth trebles with better bass, resolution etc. in the 2k budget range.

Feb 13, 2024 at 6:03 PM Post #1,980 of 2,146
I just purchased an RU7 and noticed that the display will not turn back on during the playing of a song - cannot adjust volume either. Assuming this is defective? I am using their USB-C cable to both my iPhone and Macbook pro and Balanced headphone cable.
The screen does turn off automatically. Also volume is controlled on the unit instead of your Macbook.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back