Cayin RU7: 1-Bit Resistor Network Dongle DAC /Amp
Jul 18, 2023 at 1:54 AM Post #1,366 of 2,216
IMG_8689.jpeg

With this setup I get ultimate sound from RU7, don’t know is it some extra power from this apple adapter, but to my ear sound became even better. That also might be to that lighting to usb c charging cable, on my other charger with stock apple cable I don’t get the same efficiency.
Sound wise it’s deeper, wider and better bass.

Jul 18, 2023 at 6:53 PM Post #1,367 of 2,216
Is there any advantage to upscale the audio resolution to 32bit before feeding the signal to RU7?

Neutron Player offers this option and I'm trying it for the first time right now.

Jul 19, 2023 at 12:26 AM Post #1,368 of 2,216
Is there any advantage to upscale the audio resolution to 32bit before feeding the signal to RU7?

Neutron Player offers this option and I'm trying it for the first time right now.
Its affects max dnr, which doesn't increase dnr of the track, not resolution.

Jul 19, 2023 at 1:21 AM Post #1,369 of 2,216
Did iFi Gryphon offer a 4.4 line out connection? When you said the ifi Gryphon at max output which I think is close to 6V, I check the iFi product page and read the following information:

That sounds like a phone output to me. If you are using a phone output as line out to C9, yes, it will overdrive the circuit but the problem is very different from connecting a 6V Line Out to C9. The problem with the phone out connection is excessive current in the incoming signal. I definitely won't recommend using the LO input mode with C9 in this situation, the Pre-amp input mode is the way to go.
Yes the Gryphon offers a 4.4 (and 3.5) line out on the bottom of the device. Which also work as line in when used in that mode. The LO doesn’t bypass the volume which is why it’s a variable voltage line out - but thankfully the c9 has the pre-amp mode so volume only needs to be adjusted on the gryphon.

Jul 19, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #1,370 of 2,216
Does OG or 2020 Andromeda hiss on RU7? Unfortunately they did hiss on RU6.

A-ha found it:

Been listening to my RU7 for a few hours and it’s been very enjoyable.

Going to withhold from waxing poetic until I get more time in but the cliff notes so far is that it feels spacious and relaxed compared to my other sources in a nice way.

Only element that’s a miss so far is that it’s noise floor hasn’t been ideal with my Andromedas but I sorta knew that coming in through the measurements.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2023 at 11:17 PM Post #1,373 of 2,216
Apple Music with iTunes 24bit/96kHz audio setup ->
Cayin USB Audio Drivers CT ->
Type-C output of LG GRAM 17 Laptop ->

ddHiFi TC09S USB Cable (C-to-C, 50cm) ->

Cayin RU7 ->
- All to DSD256 "encoding"
- PO Low gain 50/100 or PO High gain 40/100
- 4.4mm Balanced output

ddHiFi BC150B Headphone Upgrade Cable (4.4mm to dual 3.5mm, 150cm) -> or
Apos Flow Headphone Cable (4.4mm to dual 3.5mm, 150cm) ->

Verum Audio Verum One Headphone (8ohms & 96dB/mW sensitivity)

---

Pretty rich, natural & balanced sound with nice image & resolution for hours listening of good system synergy.

Attachments

• IMG_4605A.jpg
    IMG_4605A.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4626A.jpg
    IMG_4626A.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 20, 2023 at 2:39 AM Post #1,374 of 2,216
Jul 20, 2023 at 7:18 PM Post #1,375 of 2,216
Has anyone tried the Cayin RU-7 with iPhone 11 or newer, and a good OTG Lightning-USB-C cable?

Is there any stutter / music cutting out when driving past vol: 50-60, high gain, DSD128/256?

I am thinking of: iPhone 11 Max Pro > ddHiFi MFi09S (OTG cable with with separate audio and power) > Cayin RU-7. I also have use it with QuadLock wireless charging, do I need the ddHiFi charging/USB-C adapter?

Jul 20, 2023 at 9:55 PM Post #1,376 of 2,216
Has anyone tried the Cayin RU-7 with iPhone 11 or newer, and a good OTG Lightning-USB-C cable?

Is there any stutter / music cutting out when driving past vol: 50-60, high gain, DSD128/256?

I am thinking of: iPhone 11 Max Pro > ddHiFi MFi09S (OTG cable with with separate audio and power) > Cayin RU-7. I also have use it with QuadLock wireless charging, do I need the ddHiFi charging/USB-C adapter?
Unless I'm misunderstanding, isn't the MFi09S just a USB-c to lightning cable? Similar to the MFi07S but with "better insulation" ?
The TC28i Pro is an adapter with 2 USB-c ports, one for the dac and the other for an external power supply.

I'm going to try my iphone 14 pro max with the apple camera adapter and a shanling usb c to lightning cable to see if any stuttering, over the weekend.

Jul 20, 2023 at 10:49 PM Post #1,377 of 2,216
Unless I'm misunderstanding, isn't the MFi09S just a USB-c to lightning cable? Similar to the MFi07S but with "better insulation" ?
The TC28i Pro is an adapter with 2 USB-c ports, one for the dac and the other for an external power supply.

I'm going to try my iphone 14 pro max with the apple camera adapter and a shanling usb c to lightning cable to see if any stuttering, over the weekend.
Hi,

Yes you are correct. MFi09S and MFi07S are both OTG Lightning/USB-C cable from ddHiFi with separate insulation for audio and power (not that I ever hear any difference), but it just looks good and its OTG, which is important for some particular DACs like Fiio Q5s Tc, etc.

I am currently using iPhone 11 Pro max with the Cayin RU-6 and ddHiFi MFi09S cable. I am getting stuttering at high gain, volume 55-65 dB, especially when the bass kicks in. I have asked around with iPhone users getting the stutter, while some do not. I just saw Sajid Amit's review and he recommended Cayin RU-7 with the iPad or Android phones that do not have current limitation. His stuttered with Cayin RU-7.

You are also correct with the TC28i Pro. It allows simultaneous charging of the phone (not the DAC) while connecting to the DAC with the other USB-C/USB-C cable. I am using wireless charging, which does the same thing as the TC28i Pro, but I have yet to try wireless charging + Cayin RU-6 to see if there is stuttering.

At this moment, since I have owned the Cayin RU-6 and also iFi xDSD Gryphon, I am in between Cayin RU-7 or Luxury & Precision W4, which seems to be more efficient, equally as powerful, and its digital sound may compliment the RU-6 analog sound better.

Please share your finding. Thank you.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2023 at 12:09 AM Post #1,378 of 2,216
Just a little shoutout to my new iem - Hi-Fri Aphex,
The sound is great match for RU7! It’s airy, very very musical and easy to listen, i would say there’s no competition at this price range (60$) and it’s so good, that I haven’t listened to my Anole V14, today after hard working day.
IMG_9301.jpeg

Jul 21, 2023 at 5:48 AM Post #1,379 of 2,216

I recently go an MFi07S, and also have the Cayin CS-L2C (both are USB C to Lightning), so I gave them a try at volumes that I normally do not use, as a test.
Phone: Iphone 14 Pro Max / IEM: Sony IER-M9 / RU7: Gain-H, DSD256 / Music: Gary Moore - That's Why I play the Blues ,
- CS-L2C - Dropouts at DSD256 at lower volumes, way before reaching 50-60. Drop back to DSD128, below 50 volume (35 - 40?) works
- MFi07S - DSD256 can push volume to 67. No disturbance of the sound. I suspect that if the dongle is not ventilated well, higher heat during sustained operation will probably degrade from this level.
- The above is a short test, pushing it harder than normal. At normal listening levels (35-45) while walking, I have used with MFi07S/DSD256 for 1+ hours, no problems.
- Playing at lower DSD128 or lower should be no problem, even at higher volumes.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #1,380 of 2,216
Finally got to try the ru7
Similar experience as above
iPhone 14 pro max

Apple camera adapter: lots of stuttering, even at dsd64 low gain, volume at 45. Also tried with external battery pack attached same time. Made no difference.

Shanling usb c to Lightning: stuttering above 47, dsd 64, low gain

Cayin l2c: best results, stuttering above 50 low gain dsd128

My iems are empire ears Zeus.

So a little disappointed couldn’t get the ru7 to work nicely. I will try to get my hands on the tc28i pro and give it another try.

The ru7 had a much more refined sound compared to the ru6 , which was also worse with the stuttering compared to ru7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back