Cayin RU7: 1-Bit Resistor Network Dongle DAC /Amp
Jul 12, 2023 at 8:02 PM Post #1,337 of 2,133
Anyone have the RU7 and the Shanling UA5 and/or the new Moondrop Moonriver 2 TI dongle? I wonder how they compare
I have both the RU7 and the Shanling UA5. I haven’t used the UA5 in quite some time, but I will dust it off and do a comparison and share my observations!

Jul 12, 2023 at 10:59 PM Post #1,338 of 2,133
Mac OS wont switch the sample rate automatically. Download Lossless Switcher. Works ok - just a small gap when it has to change the sample rate.
Hi,

I saw you post on the Watercooler with a bunch of DAPs, let me ask you something: How would say the RU7 compares to the SR35 and the Hiby R6 Pro II in terms of sound quality ?

Jul 13, 2023 at 1:25 AM Post #1,339 of 2,133
Hi,

I saw you post on the Watercooler with a bunch of DAPs, let me ask you something: How would say the RU7 compares to the SR35 and the Hiby R6 Pro II in terms of sound quality ?
HI, just had a quick listen for you with the Ru7 and SR35. (R6ProII i just heard in store). Just 1 track, Robert Plant "Hey Joe".

Bass : Ru7 isnt as clean as SR35. Its less definition/more muddled.
Vocals : Ru7 vocals more forward
Treble : Sr35 seems to have a touch more extention / air
Soundstage : Ru7 is very narrow compared to SR35
Imaging : soundstage being so narrow its hard to discern. But SR35 is well defined.
Transients : Sr35 has a bigger sense of drama / tension (better decay?) and attacks with a bit more punch.
Separation / Layering. Ru7 gets muddled when passages get complex. All the drum rolls on the track are better defined on SR35.

Adding A&K PA10 amp onto the Ru7 makes the Ru7 have much more control on bass with better definition, blacker background so a bit more details, wider soundstage, imaging is good, also better transients (but same amount of punch) - overall between Ru7/PA10 & SR35 not much in it honestly. Both enjoyable.

The Hiby from memory - i liked the mids and highs better than SR35, they had a bit more lushness, but bass, bass control, handling complex passages, instrument separation/layering I thought was better on SR35. The Hiby also benefits a lot from an amp which then makes it better in my view than SR35, but I wanted a walk around device and i was perfectly happy with SR35 on its own.

Hope it helps !

Jul 13, 2023 at 6:09 AM Post #1,341 of 2,133
We must emphasize once again that this is a shared line out only, it is inferior to an unamplified dedicated line out for sure. In addition, since RU7 does not have an MCU built in, we can't implement a protection mechanism to reset the line out back to phone out whenever you unplug your 3.5mm/4.4mm connection, so please be reminded SERIOUSLY that you must switch the output back to a phone out immediately when you disconnect the line out cable from RU7. While the 1.2V/2.4V output level is not terribly high, it can still be alarming if you are using very high-sensitive IEM.
Hi @Andykong - I've just been using the RU7 with lineout on my desktop system but I'm finding that the RU7 does revert to phone-out every time the PC is shut down and it loses signal. This seems like it is opposite of what you've said here - was this feature changed? or something weird going on with my unit?
It's a bit frustrating, I'm hoping to configure it so I don't have to fiddle with it anytime I turn my computer back on.

*edit - I misread and thought it was supposed to keep line-out after unplugging the usb, but you clearly said 3.5/4.4.

I've also found that unplugging/plugging the RU7 back in, windows appears to revert to default drivers despite having installed the Cayin drivers.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2023 at 7:08 AM Post #1,342 of 2,133
Hi @Andykong - I've just been using the RU7 with lineout on my desktop system but I'm finding that the RU7 does revert to phone-out every time the PC is shut down and it loses signal. This seems like it is opposite of what you've said here - was this feature changed? or something weird going on with my unit?
It's a bit frustrating, I'm hoping to configure it so I don't have to fiddle with it anytime I turn my computer back on.

*edit - I've also found that unplugging/plugging the RU7 back in, windows appears to revert to default drivers despite having installed the Cayin drivers.
I believe Andy is referring to unplugging the 3.5 or 4.4 jack does not reset the setting which is why he is warning people about it.

I myself find the reversion to PO on reset useful as I change the source device from my pc to my dap on a regular basis and this has likely saved me from absentmindedly blasting my eardrums.

However for your use it does seem slightly annoying.

Jul 13, 2023 at 7:31 AM Post #1,343 of 2,133
I believe Andy is referring to unplugging the 3.5 or 4.4 jack does not reset the setting which is why he is warning people about it.

I myself find the reversion to PO on reset useful as I change the source device from my pc to my dap on a regular basis and this has likely saved me from absentmindedly blasting my eardrums.

However for your use it does seem slightly annoying.
You're right, I totally missed that about the 3.5/4.4.
After some more fiddling I may have found a solution in my use-case by using a powered usb hub instead of an on-board usb. Initial tests it seems to be keeping my LO settings after a restart. Gotta mess with it more later.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2023 at 8:23 AM Post #1,344 of 2,133
@giuca70 : RU7 line out and iHA6 line in via RCA or XLR?
I have also an iHA6 and the RU7 incomming. :)

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2023 at 11:42 AM Post #1,345 of 2,133
I the reverse... I already have the RU7 and I'm waiting for the iHA6... lol

Jul 13, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #1,346 of 2,133
Anyone have the RU7 and the Shanling UA5 and/or the new Moondrop Moonriver 2 TI dongle? I wonder how they compare
So I did a brief set of experiments (source iPad and S22 Ultra with Tidal and YouTube, IEMs - Truthear Hexa as a lean / neutral IEM and the Truthear Red as a more V shaped IEM).

I am terrible at describing sound, and even at detecting differences in sound (my ears are decades older than most here)… Very briefly, the UA5 has a warmer, full bodied, signature. The RU7 is leaner or maybe better described as “cleaner”. I also detect a bit more treble extension for the RU7, and the RU7 also seems to have a deeper reach into the sub bass.

I hadn’t used the UA5 in quite a while and this brief set of tests have reignited my interest in including it in my rotation.

Jul 13, 2023 at 12:46 PM Post #1,347 of 2,133
For now in SE, but I would to try 3 step:

1) balanced via 4,4 to dual XLR 3pin IN
2) with preamp in SE between RU7 and iHA-6
3) with balancer for SPL modded by me for headphone amp, with all parameter regolable (fase, vol, etc.)

I think all 3 mode is different.
The 3° is my personal preference, can try this ....

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #1,349 of 2,133
For now in SE, but I would to try 3 step:

1) balanced via 4,4 to dual XLR 3pin IN
2) with preamp in SE between RU7 and iHA-6
3) with balancer for SPL modded by me for headphone amp, with all parameter regolable (fase, vol, etc.)

I think all 3 mode is different.
The 3° is my personal preference, can try this ....

Now I can listen step 2.

My 2 cents:

The RU7 output is 1.2 volts to contain background hiss, good. Andy thanks for this explanations.

Preamp Cavalli Liquid Spark with jfet elevate to over 2 Volt rms in pre out. Good.
This step is more important and necessary.

iHA-6 performs its task very well, with absolute black without background hiss and with great reserve of dynamics.
For me the point of arrival, after years of research towards a powerful amplifier, rich in sound, extremely refined.
Monoprice AMT sounds great, very extended, great soundstage and driver control.

Finally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back