Cayin RU7: 1-Bit Resistor Network Dongle DAC /Amp
Jul 3, 2023 at 8:32 AM Post #1,276 of 2,133
I think we need to trace all the way back to the explanation of All-to-DSD features of N7 (HERE).
Someone asked for a "user-choosable "Auto conversion" feature " in RU7, and this is my response. I stated clearly that "there isn't any feedback-based (or IF-THEN-ELSE condition) that will analyze the content and act accordingly" in RU7 because we assume your mobile phone is responsible for all the brain work.

So @ClieOS is correct to state that all incoming digital audio signals, without exception, will go through the All-to-DSD conversion which is a hardware-based solution.
Andy I'd love to know how a native DSD file is converted to another DSD format on-the-fly without first converting it to PCM. I didn't think this was technically possible, but I could be very wrong and happy to learn how it's done.

Jul 3, 2023 at 8:36 AM Post #1,277 of 2,133
Please correct me if I'm wrong as I don't have much technical knowledge but does the RU7's automatic conversion of all input music to DSD64/128/256 mean that there is no sound quality difference of the same track whether it be streamed either from Tidal MQA or Qobuz Hi-res or Apple Lossless, will it sound the same in any case? (apart from the user selected 64/128/256 option)
Not Andy but I would say that the conversion to DSD will still rely on what is being converted. I’m not here to argue the differences between the streaming services you’ve mentioned but one would assume that if you filter poor files through the RU7 it will not magically make them better.

Like filtering hand sanitiser through a colander won’t give you top shelf vodka

Jul 3, 2023 at 8:47 AM Post #1,278 of 2,133
Not Andy but I would say that the conversion to DSD will still rely on what is being converted. I’m not here to argue the differences between the streaming services you’ve mentioned but one would assume that if you filter poor files through the RU7 it will not magically make them better.

Like filtering hand sanitiser through a colander won’t give you top shelf vodka
Yes logically I would agree with you, but isn't DSD a uniform sound and so RU7 conversion to DSD, which as I understand is an upscaling process, whether it is from a lossy or non Hi-res music file or a Hi-Res or MQA one, would in the end produce the same sound quality?

Jul 4, 2023 at 12:38 AM Post #1,280 of 2,133
Yes logically I would agree with you, but isn't DSD a uniform sound and so RU7 conversion to DSD, which as I understand is an upscaling process, whether it is from a lossy or non Hi-res music file or a Hi-Res or MQA one, would in the end produce the same sound quality?
Disclaiming any *actual* knowledge of this stuff but my understanding that that the process to convert PCM to DSD would involve, 1) Upsampling and 2) Noise shaping. I am not sure what you mean by "uniform sound" but I had been going on the presumption that a more hi-res PCM file which inevitably provides greater amounts of information and would require less 'interpolation' by the upsampling process. For example a 24 bit/88.2Khz PCM file has been referred to as having 'roughly' the same 'resolution' as a DSD64 file which would in my mind, mean that it is more well suited to the Cayin RU7's conversion process versus the upsampling and noise shaping process having to fill in more gaps with a lossy file.

I would appreciate if someone far more learned than myself would be able to chime in on this point. I don't really have a concern with it but it would be neat to learn!

Jul 4, 2023 at 1:10 AM Post #1,281 of 2,133
RU7 + 7hz Timeless is wonderful. Excellent synergy. Super enjoyable listen. 👌

Not surprising since I loved it with RU6 as well.
This is it. The RU6 and RU7 provide some of the best synergies, yet simultaneously provide different listening experiences by comparison.

Jul 4, 2023 at 5:10 AM Post #1,282 of 2,133
Here are some of my key thoughts on the Cayin RU7 vs iFi GO Bar vs iFi GOld Bar.

I'll be posting the ménage-à-shootout with proper categories and big beautiful pics at a later date.

All three dongles were purchased by me. The testing was delayed a few days as the RU7 I initially received presented a rattle from the 3.5mm port. While I do not know that this would have affected the sound (as I tested using the 4.4mm port), Cayin requested I contact the seller for a replacement, I assume in the interest of fairness. I thought that was a reasonable ask- all guns should be firing for a shootout, as it were.

All listening was done with a FiR RN6.

I used the same USB cable with both dongles, just for the tinfoil hat crowd who think that matters (I kid, I kid... tinfoil hats cause all sorts of interference.)

Anyway...

-The RU7 produces a wonderfully warm, organic, and clear listen. Highlights are the staging, detail retrieval and an amazingly natural bass timbre.

-The GO Bar (properly configured) produces a wonderfully warm, organic, and clear listen. Highlights are the staging, detail retrieval, and amazingly cohesive-yet-mariana-trench-deep sub-bass.

-Considering the different technologies at play, I was surprised at how similar the RU7 and standard GO Bar can sound. I say "can", because the GO Bar has many more potential sound signatures than the RU7.

-I largely concur with Ichos's wonderfully written review... the RU7 and standard GO Bar share many similar strengths, particularly when the iFi is configured for a fight with the Cayin, and it is indeed a very tough call to make between the two.

-Tough call or not, I'd probably lean towards the RU7 over the standard GO Bar, by just the slimmest of margins. That bass timbre. Mmmmm, mama.

-The GOld Bar is another story. It takes everything the GO bar threw at the RU7, and adds one of the cleanest, inkiest, dead-silent backgrounds I've ever heard in a DAC... dongle, desktop, or otherwise. This injects more breathing room... retaining that lovely warm organic listen while also making for better overall clarity, an airiness in the upper mids and highs, a more natural timbre in the bass and lower-mids, and another level of cohesion and (perceived) depth to the sub-bass.

More to come.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2023 at 8:30 AM Post #1,284 of 2,133
Deleted O/T

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2023 at 7:55 AM Post #1,287 of 2,133
did somebody try any of the following iems with RU7? Dunu SA6 mk2, KZ PR2, Zetian Wu Heyday, Letshuor S12 Pro, Simphonium Helios? thx

Of those in the list, I only have the S12 Pro with me.

The RU7 synergizes nicely with the S12 Pro. As the RU7 is warmish and smooth, it nicely rounds off the treble of the S12 Pro, which treble-sensitive people may find an issue with. Additionally, the RU7 improves the soundstage of the S12 Pro, which isn't very expansive in the first place.

Jul 5, 2023 at 8:04 AM Post #1,288 of 2,133
did somebody try any of the following iems with RU7? Dunu SA6 mk2, KZ PR2, Zetian Wu Heyday, Letshuor S12 Pro, Simphonium Helios? thx
SA6 mk2 with RU7 can be nice if you like a very laid-back, warm listen, I guess, though admittedly not for me (I like bright & highly-resolving, which is a listening experience that this combination is not gonna give you). Helios is awesome with the RU7 because the warmth from DSD64 mode sorta reduces the impression of "BA bass timbre"

Haven't tried any of the other* IEMs you mentioned.

Jul 5, 2023 at 8:15 AM Post #1,289 of 2,133
Finished burning in my RU7, what a great sound, congratulations Cayin on such an achievement! I'm playing from iPad mini 6th gen. to RU7 to Oriolus BA300S which gives an added improvement to all aspects of sound quality. I've read numerous positive references on this thread on pairing the RU7 with Cayin's C9 but none on the WA8, I would really appreciate some feedback on this if anybody has the opportunity to try it and give their impressions, thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0453.jpeg
    IMG_0453.jpeg
    6.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0452.jpeg
    IMG_0452.jpeg
    6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0455.jpeg
    IMG_0455.jpeg
    6.3 MB · Views: 0
Jul 5, 2023 at 8:55 AM Post #1,290 of 2,133
Of those in the list, I only have the S12 Pro with me.

The RU7 synergizes nicely with the S12 Pro. As the RU7 is warmish and smooth, it nicely rounds off the treble of the S12 Pro, which treble-sensitive people may find an issue with. Additionally, the RU7 improves the soundstage of the S12 Pro, which isn't very expansive in the first place.
thx for the detailed response 😎
is the width and depth of the ru7+s12pro good enough? 😊
would you prefer the s12pro over the zetian wu paired with the ru7?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back