Cayin RU7: 1-Bit Resistor Network Dongle DAC /Amp
Jun 29, 2023 at 11:43 PM Post #1,231 of 2,216
This sound interesting, can you show me a picture of your setup? :pray:

IMG-4203.jpg

My setup:

USB splitter cable from Taobao: data from laptop through Cayin USB Audio Driver, and power from Zendure X6 power bank.

Jun 30, 2023 at 1:19 AM Post #1,232 of 2,216
with Pi4 Picoreplayer source, using RU7 with iFi iPurifier3 and separate high quality battery or linear power supply connected with y splitter cable for example like this https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/dc-p...e-for-external-usb-a-power-supply-p-8389.html or with usb data and power y splitter cables
elevates sound quality quite close to desktop level 😎

RU7 (dsd128) in line out mode connected to Nitsch Piety (high gain) is a wonderful pairing IMHO 😊
Tried it through Pi4 and Volumio and I like the performance too.

I'm getting a wonderful wide, 3D soundstage with the RU7 overall, regardless of how I'm connecting it. A rich soundstage considering how wide I hear it.

Jun 30, 2023 at 6:30 AM Post #1,234 of 2,216
My RU7 arrived today. Initial thoughts are that this will complement my RU6 nicely.

Jun 30, 2023 at 8:53 AM Post #1,235 of 2,216
a80a312b-54a6-42dd-b84b-7882963c5edf.jpeg

The past 2 days have been spent using the Cayin RU7 with the Rikubuds Alter Rider 3 (a DIY earbud from @RikudouGoku ).

Superb synergy. The Alter Rider 3 is a technical neutral earbud with neutral bass (though bass quality is superb). The warm musical signature of the RU7 complements the signature nicely by adding some heft to the bass and thickens the tone. The RU7 also increases the soundstage and imaging properties of the Alter Rider 3 (which is already good for a earbud), so the soundstage now is really holographic.

While listening to one song, I heard a sound from behind me, thinking it was someone/something. LOL turns out it was the huge soundstage propagating some notes behind the shoulder!

Jul 1, 2023 at 12:37 PM Post #1,238 of 2,216
Has been discussed a few times before, RU7 will ALWAYS resample any incoming audio stream because it doesn't have the space inside to implement selective pass-through circuit.
I went looking for this in the thread and the only thing from Andy I could find was this:

if you are listening to anything that is NOT 1-bit, regardless of whether the material is stored in your local TF card or you are streaming via your subscribed service, it must be converted to DSD

This implies to me that there is no actual conversion of a source DSD stream. It may not bypass the audio bridge but I couldn’t find anything about the audio bridge resampling a native DSD input if the output mode matches it. Did I miss it? This is a long thread so that is highly likely. 🙂 Thanks again.

Jul 1, 2023 at 2:42 PM Post #1,239 of 2,216
I’ve found the RU-7 and Softears Twilight to have a very good synergy. I got the RU-7 mostly as a simple DAC to pair with the Cayin c9. And it does that very well via the LO mode (even if it’s not a traditional LO). But the Twilight doesn’t seem to really need the c9.

Compared to @baskingshark (who is smart and good reviewer) I haven’t found the RU-7 to push enough current to drive the ie600 or e5000 to my liking but I’m an outlier in this area. I haven’t found anything below the 1W of the ifi Gryphon to power the ie600 to my tastes. And the Gryphon doesn’t even push the e5000 enough for me, so take that into consideration.

My source is generally an M2 iPad Pro via a Caldigit thunderbolt 4 cable. I always run high gain and I’ve found the DSD128 to be my preferred setting. I’ve ordered both the ddhifi L2C and C2C to be my main dongle cables though I don’t expect much difference from the T4 cable as it’s beefy and rated to handle powering a laptop while also sending like 8K video. I’ve had all the other reported problems with lightning otg cables so hoping the ddhifi simplifies that.

Jul 1, 2023 at 3:46 PM Post #1,240 of 2,216
Jul 1, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #1,242 of 2,216
I’ve found the RU-7 and Softears Twilight to have a very good synergy. I got the RU-7 mostly as a simple DAC to pair with the Cayin c9. And it does that very well via the LO mode (even if it’s not a traditional LO). But the Twilight doesn’t seem to really need the c9.

Compared to @baskingshark (who is smart and good reviewer) I haven’t found the RU-7 to push enough current to drive the ie600 or e5000 to my liking but I’m an outlier in this area. I haven’t found anything below the 1W of the ifi Gryphon to power the ie600 to my tastes. And the Gryphon doesn’t even push the e5000 enough for me, so take that into consideration.

My source is generally an M2 iPad Pro via a Caldigit thunderbolt 4 cable. I always run high gain and I’ve found the DSD128 to be my preferred setting. I’ve ordered both the ddhifi L2C and C2C to be my main dongle cables though I don’t expect much difference from the T4 cable as it’s beefy and rated to handle powering a laptop while also sending like 8K video. I’ve had all the other reported problems with lightning otg cables so hoping the ddhifi simplifies that.
No less than 1w to power the ie600....please dont take this has a joke or a personal offense,but have you checked out your audition latelly?

Jul 1, 2023 at 7:51 PM Post #1,244 of 2,216
No less than 1w to power the ie600....please dont take this has a joke or a personal offense,but have you checked out your audition latelly?
You mean my hearing? It’s not about volume but dynamics. The ie600 lacks definition with less power, especially in the low end. With less power it doesn’t sound like a $700 dollar iem but something closer to what you get for like $200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back