Cayin RU7: 1-Bit Resistor Network Dongle DAC /Amp
Jun 14, 2023 at 8:54 PM Post #1,021 of 2,148
Soo,
as I understand R2R the value for PCM is in having a 1 to 1 between resistor and each sample bit for D-A conversion, gives a unique character to the sound.
However if you are converting all PCM to DSD before doing D-A conversion you don't have that, its a 1 bit only conversion.
Not a bad idea as DSD up conversion eliminates some recalcitrant digital artifacts if not already done in your player.

got it

RU6 = PCM based for final DA conversion
RU7 = DSD based for final DA conversion

So very different DACs
If one uses HQP DSD upsampling, what DSD rate is needed to avoid secondary up-sampling by the RU7?

If I understand it correctly, there shouldn't be a secondary DSD up-sampling by RU7 in the scenario you described because you will be feeding digital audio input with DSD format already that will pass through the DAC. But if you are feeding it with PCM data, it will be up-sampled depending on 64/128/256 option you selected.

Jun 14, 2023 at 9:09 PM Post #1,022 of 2,148
If I understand it correctly, there shouldn't be a secondary DSD up-sampling by RU7 in the scenario you described because you will be feeding digital audio input with DSD format already that will pass through the DAC. But if you are feeding it with PCM data, it will be up-sampled depending on 64/128/256 option you selected.
Actually there will always be a DSD resampling in RU7 regardless of whether incoming data is DSD or PCM. As explained by @Andykong in previous posts, the limited space as an USB dongle forced them to make certain design choice and one of them is that they can only implement an hardware all-time-DSD-resampling as selective DSD passthrough circuit is too complex to fit inside.

Jun 14, 2023 at 9:22 PM Post #1,023 of 2,148
Been listening to my RU7 for a few hours and it’s been very enjoyable.

Going to withhold from waxing poetic until I get more time in but the cliff notes so far is that it feels spacious and relaxed compared to my other sources in a nice way.

Only element that’s a miss so far is that it’s noise floor hasn’t been ideal with my Andromedas but I sorta knew that coming in through the measurements.
How much hiss when using Andro with RU7? As I remember, RU7 does not have specs about the noise floor, I am using A12t and it does hiss with Mojo2 (2.7 uV noise floor), but does not hiss with DC04pro (0.9 uV noise floor).

Jun 14, 2023 at 9:51 PM Post #1,024 of 2,148
Actually there will always be a DSD resampling in RU7 regardless of whether incoming data is DSD or PCM. As explained by @Andykong in previous posts, the limited space as an USB dongle forced them to make certain design choice and one of them is that they can only implement an hardware all-time-DSD-resampling as selective DSD passthrough circuit is too complex to fit inside.

Gotcha! I guess I was thinking of N7.

Jun 14, 2023 at 10:09 PM Post #1,025 of 2,148
How much hiss when using Andro with RU7? As I remember, RU7 does not have specs about the noise floor, I am using A12t and it does hiss with Mojo2 (2.7 uV noise floor), but does not hiss with DC04pro (0.9 uV noise floor).
By my very rudimentary calculations based on supplier provided information that I have no clue as being accurate:
1686794899514.png

The RU7 does not look too hot on in terms of noise floor. However, the reality is where my Andromedas show no noise with the DC04Pro unless played at hearing-loss levels (0.85 uV) and some noise with my Hiby R5 Saber (2.61 uV on BAL) the RU7 is maybe 5% noisier (if I had to put a number to it in my subjective opinion) than the Hiby?

I find that it is only distracting when I'm basically in critical listening environments (i.e in a quiet room doing nothing but listening to music) with sparsely produced tracks with some silences but not too bad in other environments (i.e. on my commute) and listening to very busy pop productions.

With all that being said, I suppose it depends on how sensitive to these things you are. Note being, that the above calculations are based on Balanced outputs, so your mileage may vary

Attachments

• 1686794877883.png
    1686794877883.png
    55.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 14, 2023 at 10:43 PM Post #1,026 of 2,148
By my very rudimentary calculations based on supplier provided information that I have no clue as being accurate:
1686794899514.png
The RU7 does not look too hot on in terms of noise floor. However, the reality is where my Andromedas show no noise with the DC04Pro unless played at hearing-loss levels (0.85 uV) and some noise with my Hiby R5 Saber (2.61 uV on BAL) the RU7 is maybe 5% noisier (if I had to put a number to it in my subjective opinion) than the Hiby?

I find that it is only distracting when I'm basically in critical listening environments (i.e in a quiet room doing nothing but listening to music) with sparsely produced tracks with some silences but not too bad in other environments (i.e. on my commute) and listening to very busy pop productions.

With all that being said, I suppose it depends on how sensitive to these things you are. Note being, that the above calculations are based on Balanced outputs, so your mileage may vary

The actual measured SNR of SG1 is around 77dB with output power around 5mW or so, just show you that you can't trust some manufacturer published spec.

Jun 14, 2023 at 10:59 PM Post #1,027 of 2,148
As an example, Chord dacs internally resample all PCM inputs to 706/768k. So to avoid 2x up-sampling artifacts you need to not up- sample when feeding a Chord dac or to up-sample to 706/768 in order to bypass Chord internal up/ sampling. The same principle should be adhered to with external DSD up-sampling, up- sample to a rate where the dac wont apply its own up-sampling algorithm

Jun 14, 2023 at 11:04 PM Post #1,028 of 2,148
The actual measured SNR of SG1 is around 77dB with output power around 5mW or so, just show you that you can't trust some manufacturer published spec.
Oh yes most certainly. I basically wanted to do the math with the information provided by the manufacturer and without measurements widely available to give me a good baseline of where to look for low noise sources.

I should caveat the calculations that I presented as being:
- reliant on manufacturer spec sheets;
- is not reflective of output at certain volumes, resistances etc.;
- at the mercy of whatever testing methodology the manufacturer used.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2023 at 1:13 AM Post #1,029 of 2,148
Hello everyone, 3 days ago I received Cayin RU7 I was listening to it during that time, but today I realized that connected to my android device and with the USB Player Pro application playing in Bit-Perfect at the beginning of any song there is an approximate clipping of 1 second. Does this happen to anyone else?

my files are mostly 16B-44KHz, RU7 set to DSD64 and powering Etymotic ER4XR.

Jun 15, 2023 at 1:56 AM Post #1,030 of 2,148
Hi, I upgraded to iOS 16.5 and tried to use FiiO LT-LT3 Lightning to USB C cable on RU7. RU7 screen turns on when connected to the iPad but there is no sound coming out. Does any of you encountered the same problem?

Any of you upgraded to iOS 16.5 and is able to use other lightning to usb c adapter? If yes, please let me know which adapter are you using. Thanks.

Jun 15, 2023 at 2:30 AM Post #1,031 of 2,148
Hello everyone, 3 days ago I received Cayin RU7 I was listening to it during that time, but today I realized that connected to my android device and with the USB Player Pro application playing in Bit-Perfect at the beginning of any song there is an approximate clipping of 1 second. Does this happen to anyone else?

my files are mostly 16B-44KHz, RU7 set to DSD64 and powering Etymotic ER4XR.
I can't talk about clipping, but more about no sound on the first seconds of the first track of an album... it's like if the RU7 turns on the amplifier right after the song starts... but having the gapeless active it it does only on the first track. Clipping doesn't do that though.

Jun 15, 2023 at 3:58 AM Post #1,033 of 2,148
I can't talk about clipping, but more about no sound on the first seconds of the first track of an album... it's like if the RU7 turns on the amplifier right after the song starts... but having the gapeless active it it does only on the first track. Clipping doesn't do that though.
Exactly, that's what happened when I listened to the first song on the album, the first second of the song without sound and then everything normal, but when I change the song the silence returns. It has never happened to me with other dac dongles like Lotoo paw s2, Ztella or M15. Still, it doesn't bother me at all, as it makes up for the excellent sound quality.

Jun 15, 2023 at 4:13 AM Post #1,034 of 2,148
Fantastic ru7 for flight today ...

Exactly, that's what happened when I listened to the first song on the album, the first second of the song without sound and then everything normal, but when I change the song the silence returns. It has never happened to me with other dac dongles like Lotoo paw s2, Ztella or M15. Still, it doesn't bother me at all, as it makes up for the excellent sound quality.
Well nothings perfect ..

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2023 at 4:15 AM Post #1,035 of 2,148
In my opinion it is related to its internal technology... it is as if it aligned itself before emitting sound, perhaps it is related to DSD decoding, but only those who know it best can tell us here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back