Cayin RU7: 1-Bit Resistor Network Dongle DAC /Amp
Jun 13, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #977 of 2,182
Do the RU7 work on Linux?

My Ru7 works well with my Main-PC (connected to a USB-3.0 port), running Manjaro Linux.

Jun 13, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #979 of 2,182
According to DongleMadness the W4 seems to be quite behind the RU7...

Jun 13, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #981 of 2,182
I ended up getting a matched pair of cables - DD ddHiFi MFi07S Nyx Series Silver (C to Lightning, and C to C) those are a week or 2 off, RU7 comes tomorrow.

Jun 13, 2023 at 7:03 PM Post #982 of 2,182
RU7 delivered but I'm not at home, perhaps a common sad story for head-fi folk. Looking forward to playing around with it tonight!

Jun 13, 2023 at 7:39 PM Post #983 of 2,182
I received my RU6 this afternoon and let it burn in for a few hours.

The setup I have assembled to test the DAC is insane. Source => Audioquest Jitterbug FMJ => ddHiFi TC09S cable => RU6 => Loxjie-p20 with iFi Audio Silent Power => Focal Elex with Dekoni perforated sheepskin pads.

The sound quality is just incredible! YouTube sounds like something you should pay for

Jun 13, 2023 at 8:22 PM Post #984 of 2,182
According to DongleMadness the W4 seems to be quite behind the RU7...

Always find my opinion quite different from his, and not just limited to RU7 or W4.

Jun 13, 2023 at 8:31 PM Post #985 of 2,182
Have had them for maybe a week, they are impressive. RU7 > iFi go blu (BT mode) easily.
I’ve only sampled lightning connect and the RU7 manages to max that connection, sound basically breaks when going 256DSD, sometimes even at 128DSD. 64DSD should be default probably. Vocals sound crisp and great. Music is just right there, exactly how you want it. Sound quality is up there right next to my Sony WM2A DSD mode. They do eat as much juice as the limited lightning port allows, keep that in mind along with just running on any battery, if you are hardwired in, you should be good to go 👍 Also,! I have 2 Lightning-USBc cables, one of them is basically unusable, I have a ddhifi higher grade cable coming next week, but yeah maybe go with Cayins adapter if you can.

Jun 13, 2023 at 8:39 PM Post #986 of 2,182
Have had them for maybe a week, they are impressive. RU7 > iFi go blu (BT mode) easily.
I’ve only sampled lightning connect and the RU7 manages to max that connection, sound basically breaks when going 256DSD, sometimes even at 128DSD. 64DSD should be default probably. Vocals sound crisp and great. Music is just right there, exactly how you want it. Sound quality is up there right next to my Sony WM2A DSD mode. They do eat as much juice as the limited lightning port allows, keep that in mind along with just running on any battery, if you are hardwired in, you should be good to go 👍 Also,! I have 2 Lightning-USBc cables, one of them is basically unusable, I have a ddhifi higher grade cable coming next week, but yeah maybe go with Cayins adapter if you can.
Supposedly someone a few pages back had the ddhifi lightning cable too and were able to use higher DSD than their other cable, if that's the case then that's a win

Jun 14, 2023 at 12:42 AM Post #987 of 2,182
These are completely different circuit designs that can deliver more power and significantly improved current capacity, and high-current amplifiers are warmer in general.
PXL_20230614_041130779.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

Can confirm RU7 sounds good with my modified Grados on high gain, DSD256. Also sounds great with high efficiency planars. :)
I prefer to listen with external power bank. Sounds better to my ears and doesn't drain phone's battery as much.

Jun 14, 2023 at 1:27 AM Post #989 of 2,182
Everything is right. if you really want to invest money somewhere, it's better to buy a portable amplifier instead of a DAP. for example Cayin C9 :beyersmile:
for example, I do not hear the difference between a DAP for 500$ and for 2000$ in general, all this is relative... it is better to invest as much as possible in an amplifier, then it will be impossible not to hear the difference. DAP is more about convenience and not about sound... it is the amplifier that is the most important link, there is still little room in the DAP for full implementation.
On top of that consider the physical restraints of a DAP, you have to fit EVERYTHING (DAC, amp, chips, misc.) in a portable shell with an integrated display. There are a lot of factors in play but getting a DAP and expecting good price/performance is kind of ridiculous in the higher end. You are better off spending 500 dollars on an amp + dongle vs a $500 DAP. The dongle + external amp is great for those trying to extract the best sound without spending a ludicrous amount of money. Playing with several different dongles can also provide you a good variety of sounds.

Personally I never thought a dongle could match a desktop setup, but here I am with the RU7. Because of it I am selling all my delta-sigma gear, if anyone is interested in the following do send a PM!

SMSL SU-8 V2 DAC
RME ADI-2 DAC FS
Is topping g5 portable amp a good pair with RU7?
This is a complete waste of money as its a DAC/amp combo, focus on getting a dedicated portable amp for the RU7 :wink: ifi xCAN is quite powerful, provides 1W of power and can be had for pretty cheap on adorama. Recently bought the dac/amp combo (xDSD) for only 169 brand new.
Wander what I am doing here .... :sweat_smile:
I should have encouraged users, reviewers, and potential buyers to rave about the RU7, but right now I am spending a lot of resources cooling down positive opinions, I am not doing my job properly. :ksc75smile:
Can we get some info on future products? I'd love to hear more about a discrete desktop 1-Bit DAC in the future! There is definitely a gap in the market, high end 1-Bit DACs start at 3k+.

Jun 14, 2023 at 2:57 AM Post #990 of 2,182
On top of that consider the physical restraints of a DAP, you have to fit EVERYTHING (DAC, amp, chips, misc.) in a portable shell with an integrated display. There are a lot of factors in play but getting a DAP and expecting good price/performance is kind of ridiculous in the higher end. You are better off spending 500 dollars on an amp + dongle vs a $500 DAP. The dongle + external amp is great for those trying to extract the best sound without spending a ludicrous amount of money. Playing with several different dongles can also provide you a good variety of sounds.

Personally I never thought a dongle could match a desktop setup, but here I am with the RU7. Because of it I am selling all my delta-sigma gear, if anyone is interested in the following do send a PM!

SMSL SU-8 V2 DAC
RME ADI-2 DAC FS
I'm not surprised. I got rid of SMSL SU 9 + HO 200
RU7 is more interesting for me. acoustics can be connected via a 4.4mm to XLR cable, it is not difficult for me to switch the cable manually if I want to plug in headphones.
Since the money is left, I'll probably take an L&P W4 for another signature, I need to think about whether I need it now, because RU7 won't get bored soon. having two new keys at once is also bad, it will not allow me to enjoy them normally as I will want to switch back and forth)))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back