Cayin RU7: 1-Bit Resistor Network Dongle DAC /Amp
Jun 12, 2023 at 9:16 PM Post #931 of 2,179
I'd say there is still a point to getting it but if you're concerned about those elements I would potentially recommend the KA5 with its little LED screen allowing you to make adjustments on the dongle itself.

The DC04Pro with an iPhone (as I understand) defaults to the first filter, eco mode off and turbo on. The filters change sound somewhat but whether it is material enough to warrant not purchasing it is another thing.

I use a DC04Pro and the only setting that I play around with is the gain settings.
Thanks, shame there's no hold down the volume button to change gain settings for Iphone, I would've at least wanted that.

Jun 12, 2023 at 10:49 PM Post #932 of 2,179
Sorry, guys, but do you also get RU7 very hot during use? It's normal? The RU6 did not reach these temperatures...

It gets a bit warm especially on high gain/4.4mm, but not scalding. It isn't unexpected really, you draw big power from a tiny
dongle, some heat will inevitably be generated.

Could you tell me what do you think of the RU7 compared to the Hiby R6 Pro II ?

I had the R6 Pro II on a tour for 10 days, and I don't have it with me now, so this is based on aural memory (YMMV, take it with a pinch of salt). It is an apples to oranges comparison to compare a dongle that is 1/4 the price of a more expensive DAP, but FWIW:

R6 Pro II has a thinner note weight and is a bit more analytical. It is a bit more fatiguing too. Micro details and imaging are a bit better on the R6 Pro II. Cayin RU7 has superior timbre, note weight and soundstage, and is much smoother.

R6 Pro II has inferior driving power, which for a DAP at that price range is a bit of a bummer. My main beef with the R6 Pro II is the abysmal battery life of about 5 hours on 4.4mm class A amplification, which is a deal breaker for me.

My 2 cents, some of these modern day dongles like the M15 and RU7 can hit about the same sound quality of a midpriced DAP nowadays, for a fraction of the price. No doubt dongles may have their own issues like battery drain or memory limits (especially if tons of lossless files are used) when paired with smartphones, so YMMV. Different strokes for different folks.

Jun 13, 2023 at 12:20 AM Post #933 of 2,179
Sorry, but I'm not 100% sure that I understood. When you say "The sound is more technical, more detailed, the sound is smoother" are you talking about the RU6? So looks like it is better than RU7?
Hello. Yes, that's right, I described my impressions of the sound of RU7. In 256 mode, its sound is similar to stationary systems.

Jun 13, 2023 at 1:35 AM Post #934 of 2,179
Could we please stop trying to compare Dongles against Digital Audio Players (DAP) ?

Dongles dont have the same room like DAPs (similarly DAPs are not having room as desktop systems) to accomodate higher fidelity amplification circuits. Also, not every DAP is built the same way. If you like to carry your phone around more and not carry another brick like item, then go with dongles. If you like to have a dedicated device to listen to music without anything hanging off your phone USB-C, go with DAP. If you have money, you can buy both. :)
I'm not comparing because I know a dongle never be a DAP ( not sure it will be totally true in the future) but as I have the R6 pro II and jsmiller too, it gives me an idea how the RU7 sound. I don't have the possibilty to hear it before buying.

Your comment is agressiv without any reason...

Jun 13, 2023 at 2:35 AM Post #935 of 2,179
It gets a bit warm especially on high gain/4.4mm, but not scalding. It isn't unexpected really, you draw big power from a tiny
dongle, some heat will inevitably be generated.

Excuse me, but you talk about when the RU7 is connected to the PC or to the phone... to me with the phone it's acceptable but with the PC it increases a lot and I don't know if it's normal... maybe you could help me understand @Andykorg on this. .. among other things there is a lot of difference with the RU6 always from PC.

Jun 13, 2023 at 2:37 AM Post #936 of 2,179
I'm not comparing because I know a dongle never be a DAP ( not sure it will be totally true in the future) but as I have the R6 pro II and jsmiller too, it gives me an idea how the RU7 sound. I don't have the possibilty to hear it before buying.

Your comment is agressiv without any reason...
In my opinion you can easily buy the RU7... the only problem is that after doing so, you will have an irrepressible desire to sell the dap. lol
Then, only now I noticed in your signature that you already have the RU6... just think that the RU7 is more technical, more powerful and more versatile than the RU6. If you already think RU6 is better than R6 (which I suspect) you can tell yourself the answer. :wink:

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2023 at 3:13 AM Post #937 of 2,179
@YanaMJ
If you really want a dispassionate opinion... I'd start thinking about selling the dap, but not to buy a dongle, rather (from the signature) what you really need is a good iem... it's useless to fill up with dac/dap and not have no level iem.
Already a Penon 10th anniversary could be an IEM that can make you earn a lot... really a lot. :wink:

Jun 13, 2023 at 3:27 AM Post #938 of 2,179
@YanaMJ
If you really want a dispassionate opinion... I'd start thinking about selling the dap, but not to buy a dongle, rather (from the signature) what you really need is a good iem... it's useless to fill up with dac/dap and not have no level iem.
Already a Penon 10th anniversary could be an IEM that can make you earn a lot... really a lot. :wink:
Thanks for your advise but don't worry about my headphones and iems 😉 I'm not a big fan of Iems I prefer headphones for long listening session so I have what I'm looking for.

Jun 13, 2023 at 4:02 AM Post #939 of 2,179
Connecting a Jewel to a RU6/RU7/M15... gives a much better result than connecting a 250 euro iem to a 5k dap... trust me :wink:
Yes, same with V14, RU7 really opens them
Up. Impossible to any other mid tier daps.
I’d say I’m currently in between - dx320x with Amp12 exn-s with AD opamps and RU7, ru7 wins in terms that I can take it with me, or simply plug and play Qobuz. But if I want some extra spice, and more power then I take 320x

Jun 13, 2023 at 4:05 AM Post #941 of 2,179
@YanaMJ
While your comment wasn’t directed at me, I will say the expression that comes to mind here is… “to each their own”. I have a few “dongles” - RU7, W2, S1, S9, BTR5, BTR7, Topping G5 (though that stretches the definition of dongle) just to name a very few. I wouldn’t sell my R6 Pro II because of any of these. But that is just me.

I would agree in general, though, that investing in the best transducers possible (as measured by the individual’s preferences and use case) is wise.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2023 at 4:30 AM Post #942 of 2,179
While your comment wasn’t directed at me, I will say the expression that comes to mind here is… “to each their own”. I have a few “dongles” - RU7, W2, S1, S9, BTR5, BTR7, Topping G5 (though that stretches the definition of dongle) just to name a very few. I wouldn’t sell my R6 Pro II because of any of these. But that is just me.

I would agree in general, though, that investing in the best transducers possible (as measured by the individual’s preferences and use case) is wise.
Mine was a gamble... I gave an answer to a question that hadn't been asked to me, but since lately I've realized that spending money on excellent dap/dac without having first spent on excellent transducers (iem/headphones) makes no sense I wanted to share my belated "discovery". lol
However I agree with you with the most appropriate expression is to "each their own".

Jun 13, 2023 at 4:43 AM Post #943 of 2,179
Mine was a gamble... I gave an answer to a question that hadn't been asked to me, but since lately I've realized that spending money on excellent dap/dac without having first spent on excellent transducers (iem/headphones) makes no sense I wanted to share my belated "discovery". lol
However I agree with you with the most appropriate expression is to "each their own".
But my question was not about iems 😉 even if I agree with you DAP or dongles are nothing with at least good transducers. I have what I need regarding headphones. I'm not looking for advice about headphones or iems, just want to have an idea how this RU7 sound before eventually buying it 😉

Jun 13, 2023 at 5:10 AM Post #944 of 2,179
But my question was not about iems 😉 even if I agree with you DAP or dongles are nothing with at least good transducers. I have what I need regarding headphones. I'm not looking for advice about headphones or iems, just want to have an idea how this RU7 sound before eventually buying it 😉
There are two possible answers to your question...
The first is yes, the RU7 sounds very good.
The second is no, because the RU7 doesn't play... but it does play.
Think of a car... is my Twingo better with Pirelli tires or Michelin tyres? A Ferrari is better than a Twingo even if you just take the tires off... and in audiophile the cost of the tires is equal to the cost of the car. Can I ask you two questions? Have you ever heard some iems that sound really good? Do you think they are inferior to headphones? I don't want to convince you of anything (I have no reason) but I just wanted to make you consider that an increase of 5%/7% more or less by changing dap/dac is not comparable to an increase of 300%/500% by changing transducers. And don't think you have to spend who knows what amount of money to get it. That's all. Excuse me if I'm direct... but that's how I am. :wink:

Jun 13, 2023 at 5:21 AM Post #945 of 2,179
There are two possible answers to your question...
The first is yes, the RU7 sounds very good.
The second is no, because the RU7 doesn't play... but it does play.
Think of a car... is my Twingo better with Pirelli tires or Michelin tyres? A Ferrari is better than a Twingo even if you just take the tires off... and in audiophile the cost of the tires is equal to the cost of the car. Can I ask you two questions? Have you ever heard some iems that sound really good? Do you think they are inferior to headphones? I don't want to convince you of anything (I have no reason) but I just wanted to make you consider that an increase of 5%/7% more or less by changing dap/dac is not comparable to an increase of 300%/500% by changing transducers. And don't think you have to spend who knows what amount of money to get it. That's all. Excuse me if I'm direct... but that's how I am. :wink:
I think you don't really understand my question nor my needs but that's ok and this is not what we will discuss here. Maybe you think I'm too stupid I don't know ... Because you speak to me as if I understand nothing at all at DAP's DACs, iems, headphones...

Yes I have ever heard iems that sound really good and no I don't consider they are inferior to headphones. I know what excellent Iems can offer. Just a matter of taste like almost everyhting in this hobby ( not only taste for me but don't want to speak about personnal issues here).

I'm not new in this hobby and I know what I want and what I'm looking for. Thanks.

My question has already be answered by others members and I thank them.

I'd like to apologize towards other members to have asked such a "stupid" question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back