Cayin RU7: 1-Bit Resistor Network Dongle DAC /Amp
Jun 9, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #826 of 2,224
Haha Andy... :)
Totally aware of the burn-in time and also the first 10 minutes of operation (power on) and i never pass judgment before burn-in time.
But actually all the THANKs is to our dealer here, it was his idea for the parts and im just glad it works great!

Hail to the N7 king! (Ok ok RU7 too)

Lack of burnin time is also why I have been cautious with my comments. Two things that impressed at time zero was soundstage size and vocal integrity. There is no colouring of vocals on my etymotic er4sr; er4xr ads a bit more body but RU7 still pulls off fairly accurate vocals.

Jun 9, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #827 of 2,224
Cayin made the right decision in leaving it to the user to select whatever DSD settings is preferable. Fair warning is provided that iPhones will have hiccups at DSD256 due to power limitations; but I use DSD256 anyway because that’s my choice :relaxed:.

Just curious, which headphones and at what gain and volume level setting do you hear this? Thanks!

Jun 9, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #829 of 2,224
Cayin made the right decision in leaving it to the user to select whatever DSD settings is preferable. Fair warning is provided that iPhones will have hiccups at DSD256 due to power limitations; but I use DSD256 anyway because that’s my choice :relaxed:.
Maybe the

Apple Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter​

would help on this. Apple states that it is useful for power hungry devices like a disk drive or camera...

Jun 9, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #830 of 2,224
To those who have compared the RU6 with the RU7, I wanted to ask how much of the musicality of the RU6 can be found in the RU7 (DSD64) and how much more detail does the new dongle present compared to the RU6? Does the RU7's features place it somewhere between an R2R and a DS, or is it closer to one of the two? Thank you.
I find RU7 less "musical" because of its more-than-slightly increased detail and technical performance, leading to a detracting experience from the music itself, to a more forced focus on technical things in the sound. This is my opinion using a clean, neutral IEM(Performer 5), that isn't overly bright/sharp.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #831 of 2,224
What would you explain? It is normal, here and elsewhere for threads to drift off-topic. They usually drift back on-topic again, but NO thread unless it is extremely niche or very quiet, always stays on-topic. Often the off-topic chat leads to very useful discussions relevant to the main thread topic. I say unless it becomes overly distractive or denigrates into fighting and mean-spirited conversation that it be left to organically develop.

Not to mention, with a device such as this where the USB cable could be an area where people get "encouraged" to waste money on unnecessary things, such as anything other than a decently made USB cable that can be bought for $20, probably even for less, it makes such related discussions relevant. Now those who have a stake in such products probably don't want the discussions public as their goods sell best when not examined very closely, and certainly never discussed using an evidenced based approach.

The RU-7 sounds like it is a great product. I am enjoying reading about it very much and if I hadn't gone Bluetooth years ago for all my portable headphone needs, I probably would seriously consider it. I may even get one yet.

You nailed it! On top of that I find the off-topic discussions to be the best in the hobby. It's great to be able to talk to like-minded individuals about our passions! As for the RU7, it provides such a unique sound, I think you should still get it :wink:

Jun 9, 2023 at 4:36 PM Post #832 of 2,224
To those who have compared the RU6 with the RU7, I wanted to ask how much of the musicality of the RU6 can be found in the RU7 (DSD64) and how much more detail does the new dongle present compared to the RU6? Does the RU7's features place it somewhere between an R2R and a DS, or is it closer to one of the two? Thank you.
I have both the RU6 and the RU7. Both sound lush and have that organic analogue sound. The micro details are more refined and prevalent on the RU7 (not that the RU6 lacks in details but the RU7 definitely has more clarity in this department). Imaging and instrument separation is slightly better and this works to produce wider, more expansive soundstage. As touched on above, the RU6 does not lack in any of these departments, it's just that the RU7 dials these aspects of sound quality up a notch whilst simultaneously maintaining the rich analogue sound. Both pair well with the vast majority of IEMs and headphones. Warming time is really necessary to gain the optimal listening experience. But be careful, the RU6 and especially the RU7 are very addictive once optimal listening is experienced. You won't want to stop listening. Never quite had that addiction with any other dongle. At least this is my experience with both the RU6 and 7

Jun 9, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #833 of 2,224
I have both the RU6 and the RU7. Both sound lush and have that organic analogue sound. The micro details are more refined and prevalent on the RU7 (not that the RU6 lacks in details but the RU7 definitely has more clarity in this department). Imaging and instrument separation is slightly better and this works to produce wider, more expansive soundstage. As touched on above, the RU6 does not lack in any of these departments, it's just that the RU7 dials these aspects of sound quality up a notch whilst simultaneously maintaining the rich analogue sound. Both pair well with the vast majority of IEMs and headphones. Warming time is really necessary to gain the optimal listening experience. But be careful, the RU6 and especially the RU7 are very addictive once optimal listening is experienced. You won't want to stop listening. Never quite had that addiction with any other dongle. At least this is my experience with both the RU6 and 7
Well said. Bravo!

Jun 9, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #834 of 2,224
RU7 is insanely addicting, I can't stop using it! I honestly never thought a dongle could ever compete with desktop setups but here we are, the RU7 has a larger soundstage than my RME+THX and is a lot more organic (no surprise there). The RU7 is revolutionary for being the only portable 1-bit DAC and packs a lot of power too!

Speaking of warm up time, have you timed the RU7? I know the RU6 can take some time to settle in.
IMG_2714.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2023 at 8:52 PM Post #835 of 2,224
Anyways, now am 1.5 weeks with the RU7, and so far I haven't found any stuttering, but I mainly use FLAC/WAV files, no mp3s.

The RU7 really pairs well with the Sennheiser HD650 (high gain, 4.4mm). Great lush vocals.

RU7_10.jpeg

I find RU7 less "musical" because of its more-than-slightly increased detail and technical performance, leading to a detracting experience from the music itself, to a more forced focus on technical things in the sound. This is my opinion using a clean, neutral IEM(Performer 5), that isn't overly bright/sharp.

The AFUL Performer 5 isn't a neutral IEM, it is quite coloured with a big subwoofer like sub-bass. Yep, find it a bit thicker in note weight and on the warmer side of the equation tonally, yeah so it isn't that bright/sharp sounding.

AFUL_Performer_5_Graph-1100x542.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2023 at 9:45 PM Post #837 of 2,224
There IS such thing as temperature/thermal equilibrium which DOES makes an impact on discrete, particularly r2r, style topologies.

Measured performance and perhaps experienced listening will slightly change depending on the thermal state of the system. But this should not be permanent nor significant otherwise there is an engineering failure.
QFT, my Auralic Vega DAC does not even switch into higher precision FEMTO clock mode until 1 hour of run in. All SS amps I have owned also show subpar performance until fully warmed up. But just like you said it's not a permanent effect, just a cycle that happens on every cold startup that has nothing to do with the dreaded "burn in".

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2023 at 10:00 PM Post #838 of 2,224
QFT, my Auralic Vega DAC does not even switch into higher precision FEMTO clock mode until 1 hour of run in. All SS amps I have owned also show subpar performance until fully warmed up. But just like you said it's not a permanent effect, just a cycle that happens on every cold startup that has nothing to do with the dreaded "burn in".
If they are class A, then I am not at all surprised about having to wait that long. Being much smaller designs, the RU6/7 don't take nearly as long to "warm up" as their desktop counterparts.
Is the RU7 larger than the Questyle M15?
Google is your friend,
Cayin RU7 66x24x12mm
Questyle M15 61.8x27.2x12mm
So the RU7 is slightly longer but not as wide.

Jun 9, 2023 at 10:01 PM Post #839 of 2,224
If they are class A, then I am not at all surprised about having to wait that long. Being much smaller designs, the RU6/7 don't take nearly as long to "warm up" as their desktop counterparts.

Google is your friend,
Cayin RU7 66x24x12mm
Questyle M15 61.8x27.2x12mm
So the RU7 is slightly longer but not as wide.
Didn’t think to look for some reason. Thanks for the info.

Jun 9, 2023 at 10:02 PM Post #840 of 2,224
Didn’t think to look for some reason. Thanks for the info.
No problem! Whichever one you go with, you will be very happy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back