Cayin RU7: 1-Bit Resistor Network Dongle DAC /Amp
May 28, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #406 of 2,224
I’m interested in the W4EX. I don’t see anything wrong in putting this vs RU7 for comparison. As noted in the link the price difference is very close between them - 30$

Both bring their own breakthroughs - One designed it’s own dac chip and uses extremely low power + brings incredible record breaking desktop level measurements (dynamic range/thd) and the other has its own discrete circuitry for 1 bit etc

If we are looking at lower consumption and lower output the Ibasso DC04pro, Fiio KA5 etc are the price point benchmarks for the W4EX, not the RU7.

May 28, 2023 at 4:06 PM Post #407 of 2,224
Short impressions:
In comparison with RU6, GoBar Gold, - this one is better. It is organic, black background, it’s not sparkly, has good depth and very good bass and mids, need to test with pos 3,4 on Anole turned on.
Ru6 was congested - never heard anything good in it, sold happily. Gold bar is too heavy. Only desktop use
And definitely it’s 10 steps above Qudelix 5k.
Hi, How would you compare gold bar and ru7 in terms of sound quality and signature? Is it worth to get a gold bar alongside ru7? Thanks in advance.

May 28, 2023 at 4:11 PM Post #408 of 2,224
Hi, How would you compare gold bar and ru7 in terms of sound quality and signature? Is it worth to get a gold bar alongside ru7? Thanks in advance.
Hi, I didn’t really like gold bar, frankly - sounded a little artificial while ru7 sounds extremely natural (at least to me and on my gear)
Spatial effect of ru7 is very organic, it’s not exaggerated but it feels grand.
I’m listening to RU7 now and I can’t find any reason to buy gold bar for my preferences.

May 28, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #409 of 2,224
Hi, I didn’t really like gold bar, frankly - sounded a little artificial while ru7 sounds extremely natural (at least to me and on my gear)
I’m listening to RU7 now and I can’t find any reason to buy gold bar for my preferences.
Thanks a lot... you just saved me 500€ :)

May 28, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #411 of 2,224
That moment when ESTs kick in
IMG_3137.jpeg

May 28, 2023 at 5:47 PM Post #412 of 2,224
New gear always sounds better until excitement wears off.

May 28, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #413 of 2,224
New gear always sounds better until excitement wears off.
Not always... for example, RU6 cannot get bored because it is unique. but personally, I didn't have enough low frequencies compared to any delta sigma.
Nevertheless, he is special and it is always nice to listen to him again. it is obvious that RU7 is also unique, having no analogues.
Personally, I regretted that I sold RU6. I won't make such a mistake with RU7.

Last edited:
May 28, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #414 of 2,224
When somebody is about to hyperventilate over excitement, these "impressions" are just noise with no value for others.
I'd expect next post will be comparison to Chord Dave or <insert gear of your choice> and it will be not as natural and refined as RU7 with mandatory disclaimer (to me, my ears, and with my gear).
Has anyone compared it to similarly priced W2, there was a post in the other thread rating RU7 below W4 which is only slight improvement over W2?

Last edited:
May 28, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #415 of 2,224
In my opinion no dap/dac/dongle is perfect and it goes equally well for everything... what matters a lot is the synergy with the iems, our personal tastes and the type of music we listen to. A RU6 can be special if listening with transparent IEMs and without pumped frequencies (Blessing 2, Mest MKII, Jewel) and listening to music very much based on voices or single instruments or soft and warm jazz, but at the same time it can give much less satisfaction if it is listened to with an IEM like IERZ-1R (bass pumped) listening to music full of instruments, layered on top of each other like very hard progressive rock. The synergy concerns a bit of everything... dac/iem/music/ourselves. In this world there is no one dress for all seasons... if you really want to aim high.

May 28, 2023 at 8:55 PM Post #416 of 2,224
When somebody is about to hyperventilate over excitement, these "impressions" are just noise with no value for others.
I'd expect next post will be comparison to Chord Dave or <insert gear of your choice> and it will be not as natural and refined as RU7 with mandatory disclaimer (to me, my ears, and with my gear).
Has anyone compared it to similarly priced W2, there was a post in the other thread rating RU7 below W4 which is only slight improvement over W2?

RU7 owner is hyperventilating but W4 owner is the authority on declaring the W4 a better Dongle?

May 29, 2023 at 5:37 AM Post #417 of 2,224
I received the RU7, very impressed!
With Anole V14 - it’s nothing I’ve heard them like before - different sense of space, details are clear, but no vivid and all around you, when listening.pics attached
No, I think I have pointed out ⬆️ that it sounds organic
Nothing is making any fatigue. Also, probably I need to put it like this:
I’ve listened to RU7 for the past 12 hours almost all the time. I don’t feel fatigue except for the tips I used on Mest (Fiio ones)absolutely no fatigue. No ear ringing. It’s extremely comfortable sounding, no harshness.
I must’ve added it in bold print. Sorry about that.
It’s a different sound signature- no plastic feeling, no fatigue. It does not sound like DS chip dacs. It’s natural.
Thank you very much for your impression and continuous update, glad you like your RU7. I hope you'll like it even more after say 50 hours of usage.

Will someone who dislikes RU6 enjoy RU7? This is a question we have in mind when we working on RU7, we didn't deliberately make the RU7 different from RU6, but we definitely want to widen our Dongle DAC client base when we introduce a new model. Your response has answered our question, and that's a very positive and happy answer.

Thank you. :beerchug:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 29, 2023 at 6:41 AM Post #418 of 2,224
Well, fyi this is not watercooler thread, and I “hyperventilate” as you put it, because I have next to me laying DX320X that I do not use last days at all, I am definitely sure that smth like RS8 or sp3000 is better. Go ahead and buy endgame gear if your pockets are full of money, but for us, working folk, that are not spending thousands on sources everyday, this RU7 is going to be go to gear that will replace multiple heavy daps.

May 29, 2023 at 6:52 AM Post #419 of 2,224
Thank you very much for your impression and continuous update, glad you like your RU7. I hope you'll like it even more after say 50 hours of usage.

Will someone who dislikes RU6 enjoy RU7? This is a question we have in mind when we working on RU7, we didn't deliberately make the RU7 different from RU6, but we definitely want to widen our Dongle DAC client base when we introduce a new model. Your response has answered our question, and that's a very positive and happy answer.

Thank you. :beerchug:
Thank You for that experience- please send those good words to the team that did that!
I’d say it’s my real musical enjoyment that i haven’t experienced for some time..
I’m sure good word will follow this little dac/amp and people will enjoy musical experience with it.
Separately I want to say about how good and sturdy the connectors lock on usbC. It’s a very small but important detail.

May 29, 2023 at 6:55 AM Post #420 of 2,224
In my opinion no dap/dac/dongle is perfect and it goes equally well for everything... what matters a lot is the synergy with the iems, our personal tastes and the type of music we listen to. A RU6 can be special if listening with transparent IEMs and without pumped frequencies (Blessing 2, Mest MKII, Jewel) and listening to music very much based on voices or single instruments or soft and warm jazz, but at the same time it can give much less satisfaction if it is listened to with an IEM like IERZ-1R (bass pumped) listening to music full of instruments, layered on top of each other like very hard progressive rock. The synergy concerns a bit of everything... dac/iem/music/ourselves. In this world there is no one dress for all seasons... if you really want to aim high.
I thoroughly enjoyed specifically complex genre, metal of all kinds, classical, orchestra, instrumental- with Anole V14 it sounds very much how it should - all instruments are very well separated, music is pronounced and well presented, didn’t notice any interference among frequencies or mushing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back