Cayin RU7: 1-Bit Resistor Network Dongle DAC /Amp
May 26, 2023 at 6:29 AM Post #331 of 2,224
May 26, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #333 of 2,224
It is strange to observe the fact, that RU7 is not yet available for sale in China, where it is produced, but it is already available in the USA... the manufacturer should be ashamed.
I hoped that it would be available earlier on JD or Aliexpress, or the start of sales should be the same in all countries, even if it's pre-orders .

Last edited:
May 26, 2023 at 4:03 PM Post #334 of 2,224
May 26, 2023 at 6:11 PM Post #335 of 2,224
It is strange to observe the fact, that RU7 is not yet available for sale in China, where it is produced, but it is already available in the USA... the manufacturer should be ashamed.
I hoped that it would be available earlier on JD or Aliexpress, or the start of sales should be the same in all countries, even if it's pre-orders .
I contacted Cayin and the RU7 will be on sale tomorrow on their shop in Aliexpress :wink:

May 26, 2023 at 7:25 PM Post #337 of 2,224
I have asked GPT-4 to tell me what a 1bit DAC was and it showed me this incredible video:

In a previous message, I was wrong when I compared RU7 to Schiit Modi multibit. 1bit DACs are DSD DACs whereas R2R and multibit DACs are PCM DACs by design.

I really like the sound of R2R but I can't wait to listen to my DSD collection for the first time through a real discrete pure DSD DAC.

May 26, 2023 at 10:13 PM Post #338 of 2,224

We have announced the official date of available on 18th May, and that will be 29th May 2021.

From what we can observe, Cayin honor this announcement. It just so happened that when we coordinate the worldwide launch date, we need to send the product to our international dealers up-front. We don't OWN the logistic system, we have suffered from chaotic logistic delays for 3 years, now when the system falls back to the regular schedule and some dealers received their delivery the weekend before the official launch date, the manufacturer should be ashamed because of this? Are you serious?

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 27, 2023 at 3:38 AM Post #339 of 2,224
Indeed. A reseller breaking an embargo risks alienating the manufacturer and losing the ability to sell products from them again. All just to be first.
Check the measurements on a certain other forum which show the failure of triangle wave recreating amongst other significant failures.
Triangle waves don't exist in music. The test is invalid.

May 27, 2023 at 3:52 AM Post #341 of 2,224
Indeed. A reseller breaking an embargo risks alienating the manufacturer and losing the ability to sell products from them again. All just to be first.

Bob Moog might have something to say about triangle waves not existing in music. Putting aside triangles, just see all the other tests it failed so badly on beyond 90% of all other dacs and dongles on market. Nevertheless it’s a nice concept to fit r2r in such a small space just that not enough other stuff was done (like linearity compensation and better resistors) to ensure the r2r circuit had a fighting chance.

* ps I’m not re opening irrelevant conversations here, I’m just responding when quoted

1685173896331.png

Last edited:
May 27, 2023 at 5:19 AM Post #342 of 2,224
Just bought in Cayin store in Aliexpress... hope all is well...
Has anyone already arrived? First impressions?

Last edited:
May 27, 2023 at 5:29 AM Post #343 of 2,224
Interested to hear how RU7 fares against the new L&P W4 - both are very new dongles so it’s rare to find someone who has both, but both offer something unique not done before on a dongle

May 27, 2023 at 7:10 AM Post #344 of 2,224
Interested to hear how RU7 fares against the new L&P W4 - both are very new dongles so it’s rare to find someone who has both, but both offer something unique not done before on a dongle
I have just googled the L&P W4. A dongle with 134db of dynamic range and S/PDIF output is an interesting proposition.

But as I have said RU7 is the perfect DAC for me, because to my ears DSD sounds consistently better any more analog than any other digital format.

My end goal in the audiophile hobby is to get one of these turntables that rip vinyls to DSD. These are up there with native DSD recordings in the summit-fi domain.

May 27, 2023 at 11:37 AM Post #345 of 2,224

One of those dongles is priced for comparison with DAP’s.

The true engineering feat is an innovative design that hits a sensible price point.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back