Cayin RU7: 1-Bit Resistor Network Dongle DAC /Amp
May 22, 2023 at 6:14 AM Post #256 of 2,225
@Celio
The fact that Qualcomm chip is limited to max 96kHz is not exactly a great selling point to explain to your customers when they are paying you hundreds of dollars for an supposedly very advanced USB dongle just so PEQ can be implemented in the USB dongle where it can also be much easily done via app.

Sure if sky is the limit then you can implement whatever you want on a USB dongle, but it doesn't mean others will find it to make as much commercial sense as you do.
On a somewhat unrelated note, I'm glad to see you are still active here. When I first started this hobby, your review as well as @Skylab, @average_joe and a few others really got me going. Thank you both for all you have done

It is just so crazy to think how much things have changed. I wouldn't even dare to think RU7 would have been possible in my lifetime!

May 22, 2023 at 6:15 AM Post #257 of 2,225
Even Genelec/Neumann admit to downsampling to 48khz on their $$$$ over engineered technical marvel DSP monitors used to produce large quantities of audiophile music in top studios nowadays - anyhow this is a different discussion.
To my knowledge my 8315A uses internally 96kHz.

May 22, 2023 at 6:22 AM Post #258 of 2,225
What are these audible artefacts? Do you have an example were this audible? I would like to know if I can hear such things also or if I am deef to such artifacts. :)
Thank you!
To my ears it's treble sounds a bit hazy/dirty/low res - like something's not right. Because of the dongle's inherent warmish tuning it may not be so obvious on first listen, but comparing it to high resolution high specced sources (like say RME ADI 2), it's easy to discern what a clean proper treble sounds like. Even dongles like Q5K has a more honest "clean" treble.

Check the measurements on a certain other forum which show the failure of triangle wave recreating amongst other significant failures. I'm not a measurebator but this was terrible. I will admit that the sound of the RU6 can still be enjoyed, much like a tape deck or old vinyl, but this being a digital source it's a bad excuse..

To my knowledge my 8315A uses internally 96kHz.
partly correct: 24bit/96kHz for the tweeter and 24bit/48kHz for mid speaker and bass. Even so, 96khz is more than what anyone should need.

May 22, 2023 at 6:27 AM Post #259 of 2,225
I disagree
...agree to disagree then. But if it is as easy and as profitable to do it, I am sure it won't be long before you get your wish granted.

. .

It is just so crazy to think how much things have changed. I wouldn't even dare to think RU7 would have been possible in my lifetime!
Indeed. Don't think the others quit headphone/music though, just that reviewing audio gear or even just posting in forum might be too commercial and fancy these days for us old timers.

Last edited:
May 22, 2023 at 6:28 AM Post #260 of 2,225
To my ears it's treble sounds a bit hazy/dirty/low res - like something's not right. Because of the dongle's inherent warmish tuning it may not be so obvious on first listen, but comparing it to high resolution high specced sources (like say RME ADI 2), it's easy to discern what a clean proper treble sounds like. Even dongles like Q5K has a more honest "clean" treble.

Check the measurements on a certain other forum which show the failure of triangle wave recreating amongst other significant failures. I'm not a measurebator but this was terrible. I will admit that the sound of the RU6 can still be enjoyed, much like a tape deck or old vinyl, but this being a digital source it's a bad excuse..

partly correct: 24bit/96kHz for the tweeter and 24bit/48kHz for mid speaker and bass. Even so, 96khz is more than what anyone should need.
I think you're on the wrong forum.

You need to understand that RU7 exist because RU6 was well received and most people posting here like it a lot. We knew from the start that it would not measure well compared to Delta sigma DACs. But to our ears, it undeniably sounds better.

If you happen to hear measurements, I'm sure some bats have a forum somewhere where they share their experience.

May 22, 2023 at 6:30 AM Post #261 of 2,225
Would it be feasible for Cayin to use the same bluetooth controller chip for their dongles? Even if they turn off say the bluetooth functionality and only use it as a 96khz usb controller (as eq also works over usb).. I assume it's relatively cost effective considering Qudelix dongle is only 100$.
Yes, we can do that, if we give up the discrete DAC design, or reduce the phone output from 400mW to 50mW, if we want to survive within the power limiter of modern mobile phones.

You can't solve all the problems by offering more money.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 22, 2023 at 6:42 AM Post #262 of 2,225
Yes, we can do that, if we give up the discrete DAC design, or reduce the phone output from 400mW to 50mW, if we want to survive within the power limiter of modern mobile phones.

You can't solve all the problems by offering more money.
The 400mw power is another matter that Cayin missed the target with - a 400mw on a dongle is practically useless, who will utilise this power - someone with HD800S or LCD4? 99% of those users don't use these in trains or mobile places but at home with proper desktop setups. Even if one does decide to use this dongle with one of these power hungry headphones, there'll be a serious lack of dynamics and drive even if they go loud, there simply isn't enough current/voltage swing to control their drivers from a dongle - headroom is a different matter altogether. imo it's a waste of resources and shows me Cayin are trying to impress with numbers like the phone megapixel game in the past.. others are moving onto less mw but class A amplification for example which can drive difficult loads with more headroom.

As for IEMs, well there are no IEMs that require more than 100mw of power, 400mw will just create noise issues with sensitive BAs like Andromeda/Softears etc.

I'm sure a low powered dsp chip + something like 150mw might have been feasible..

May 22, 2023 at 6:45 AM Post #263 of 2,225
If Roon will someday offer DSP via there Roon ARC app, I will not care anymore about DSP functionallity in a dongle. :wink:
I know Roon users are also only a niche market, but what I want to say is, that I see DSP more on the software side rather then on the hardware side.
You already can use UAPP and Neutron (and may be other apps).

Edit: There is also "mobile use" at home where a higher output power is welcomed with an overear headphone. :wink: I never use my RU6 on the go. On the go I always use my phone and my TWS, nothing more, ever.

Last edited:
May 22, 2023 at 6:48 AM Post #264 of 2,225
If Roon will someday offer DSP via there Roon ARC app, I will not care anymore about DSP functionallity in a dongle. :wink:
I know Roon users are also only a niche market, but what I want to say is, that I see DSP more on the software side rather then on the hardware side.
You already can use UAPP and Neutron (and may be other apps).
Can't use UAPP on IOS, and Neutron doesn't allow for Qobuz/Apple music integration.

Roon arc DSP will be sweet, but Roon is super expensive just to use for that if one has no need for it's other features.

May 22, 2023 at 7:07 AM Post #265 of 2,225
I ordered one,
I have c9 n3pro and ru6
All are good
That's why I also bought without hearing and without checking...
Cayin knows how to do good things. Period.
I also like the miniaturization of technologies that were previously only in large and expensive equipment.

May 22, 2023 at 7:09 AM Post #266 of 2,225
I ordered one,
I have c9 n3pro and ru6
All are good
That's why I also bought without hearing and without checking...
Cayin knows how to do good things. Period.
I also like the miniaturization of technologies that were previously only in large and expensive equipment.
How long have you had the n3pro for? The volume control on mine stopped working after few months (mostly sitting in a drawer), I tried some pressurised air to clean it but it's completely kaput.. had similar issue with Fiio M11 Pro, but my Hiby RS6 volume control is fine (knocks wood)

Last edited:
May 22, 2023 at 7:15 AM Post #267 of 2,225
Can we just stop arguing like this? Please remember this is a forum and everyone is entitled to their opinion, and every brand can develop their own strategy. There won't be one product that makes everyone happy, from $50 to $5000 dollars.

Cayin is happy to stay in a niche market, being a tube amplifier manufacturer, we have gone through a lot of debate regarding measurement and listening experience. We know Solid State amplifier measures much better than our tube amplifier, we didn't disagree on that. On the other hand, please give us the space and freedom to design and build what we are good at. You don't necessarily like it, but please don't trash it because you don't appreciate this niche market.
Ignore them if you can, RU7 is truly a ground-breaking product, never down before in its format.

May 22, 2023 at 7:16 AM Post #268 of 2,225
How long have you had the n3pro for? The volume control on mine stopped working after few months (mostly sitting in a drawer), I tried some pressurised air to clean it but it's completely kaput.. had similar issue with Fiio M11 Pro, but my Hiby RS6 volume control is fine (knocks wood)
Quite a long time, maybe a year, I don't remember exactly,
I have no problems and even though I have much more expensive equipment I often go back to it.

May 22, 2023 at 7:45 AM Post #269 of 2,225
May 22, 2023 at 7:49 AM Post #270 of 2,225
You can stream Qobuz and Tidal through Neutron Player if you use an app called mconnect player.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.conversdigitalpaid

You can add all the DSP and EQ that you like on your source device.

I use mconnect with Mojo 2/Poly (Mojo2 has it's own EQ dsp).

Are you suggesting I stream DLNA from mconnect to Neutron Player followed by usb dongle, all on one phone? Will this work if I don't have wifi (say I want to use the dongle on a train out of my iphone)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back