Cayin RU7: 1-Bit Resistor Network Dongle DAC /Amp
Sep 6, 2023 at 6:01 PM Post #1,591 of 2,176
This is shaping up to be one of my fav little gadgets ever. Really nice synergy with the Stellia and Nightowl.
You should try the lineout function. Going from 3.5mm lineout to RCA on a Topping L50 amp made my Clear MG sound way better. More power would probably do the same for your Stellia and Nightowl.

Sep 6, 2023 at 7:45 PM Post #1,593 of 2,176
What's the best way to connect the RU7 to a headphone amp? Should I buy a 4.4 to RCA cable or a 3.5 to RCA? What about a 4.4 to dual xlr?
Only 4.4 to dual XLR offers a balanced connection to the amp, if that's what you want.
3.5 to RCA offers a single ended connection.
4.4 to RCA is just confusing and shouldn't exist in my opinion

Sep 6, 2023 at 7:57 PM Post #1,594 of 2,176
What's the best way to connect the RU7 to a headphone amp? Should I buy a 4.4 to RCA cable or a 3.5 to RCA? What about a 4.4 to dual xlr?
Btw, I couldn't tell much of a difference with IEMs when using the RU7 lineout to an amp. I think the internal RU7 amp is good enough for my IEMs.
It only made a difference when I used the RU7+amp with headphones.

Only 4.4 to dual XLR offers a balanced connection to the amp, if that's what you want.
3.5 to RCA offers a single ended connection.
4.4 to RCA is just confusing and shouldn't exist in my opinion

^ this.

Sep 6, 2023 at 10:06 PM Post #1,595 of 2,176
Banter and a photo:
The RU7 dongle paired with Vision Ears EXT has shown me small packages can deliver an exceptional and grandiose experience.
I use IPhone 13mini + Neutron|RU7 on the go, or ROON|MacOS|RU7|VE EXT when docked. I prefer the latter to dealing with IP13|RU7.
The Green Leather IEM Case does a great job at protecting my investment. The color scheme is fun & groovy. All components, in photo, fit into the case :ksc75smile:

Portability is critical in my case since I move for work constantly. Finally, I have a two channel powerhouse that I look forward to setting up and using.
The RU7 has made this possible.
Thankfully this discussion helped me to troubleshoot some issues :heart_eyes:

end

Attachments

• Portable goodness.png
    Portable goodness.png
    5.7 MB · Views: 0
Sep 7, 2023 at 7:16 AM Post #1,596 of 2,176
hi, I received a ru7 from AliExpress (bought from Italy, with customs of around 20 euros)
cayin was a super professional and honest seller, like few others, a few days after taking and giving a discount, and they offered to refund me the difference, I really appreciated it since not everyone does it!
having seen my previous posts in which I ask for comparison with ru6, now I can have my say, personally without too many technicalities or a thousand explanations, I consider ru6 fuller and with more voices Next, ru7 more neutral, more precise and less tiring! I'm running DSD 128, but it will take days of testing and burn-in to confirm this
(sorry for the translation errors, I use Google Translate)

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2023 at 9:48 AM Post #1,597 of 2,176
salve, ho ricevuto un ru7 da AliExpress (comprato dall'Italia, con dogana di circa 20 euro)
Cayin è stato un venditore super professionale e onesto, come pochi altri, pochi giorni dopo averlo preso e fatto uno sconto, e mi hanno offerto per rimborsarmi la differenza, l'ho apprezzato molto visto che non tutti lo fanno!
avendo visto i miei post precedenti in cui chiedevo confronti con ru6, ora posso dire la mia, personalmente senza troppi tecnicismi o mille spiegazioni, considero ru6 più pieno e con più voci Avanti, ru7 più neutro, più preciso e meno faticoso ! Utilizzo DSD 128, ma ci vorranno giorni di test e rodaggio per confermarlo
(scusate per gli errori di traduzione, utilizzo google traduttore)
Перекладіть, будь-ласка, на англійську. Дякую.

Sep 9, 2023 at 3:18 AM Post #1,598 of 2,176
Some amps like the ifi XCAN have a 4.4 balanced input. I connect the RU7 with a 4.4 to 4.4 cable when using my harder to drive headphones.

Sep 9, 2023 at 6:19 AM Post #1,600 of 2,176
Solution to an issue I was having with the RU7, just in case any others encounter similar:

Originally when using the RU7 on my PC (Windows 11) I was finding it was skipping or missing the first half second or so of songs. It would do this if I skipped tracks or if it played straight through an album, didn't matter. Even something like the windows audio test noise (that three-note sound to test left/right channel) would be cut off. I initially accepted it as a quirk of the DSD upscaling and put it off as a minor irritation (easier as the RU7 is a secondary DAC for me). Recently however I am considering getting another standalone amp that will be my primary listening source and planned to use the RU7 as a DAC for it for the time being, and I wanted to see if I could solve this skipping issue.

I started experimenting: I use Deezer as my music player and experienced the skipping whether in the app or browser, Youtube music also skipped, but if I tried spotify in browser there was no skip and it worked flawlessly. It also worked flawlessly through Deezer on my Android phone. I tried multiple USB ports, no change, checked all my USB drivers and they seemed fine and power management was set to keep USB powered on. I then decided to reinstall the Cayin RU7 driver I had originally installed (downloaded from the Cayin site) to see if that solved it. First it uninstalled and restarted, I decided to test the playback before re-installing it and all of a sudden it's playing flawlessly with zero skips. Deezer plays fine in all instances, even the little windows audio test chime is fully audible.

So I'm relieved it was actually such a simple fix. I'm not sure what's up with the RU7 official Windows driver and why it was affecting certain playback in this way, but hopefully this is helpful to anyone else who may have run into this as well.

TLDR: If RU7 is skipping or missing the first half-second or so of sound/music through Windows, try uninstalling the official drivers.

Sep 9, 2023 at 7:36 AM Post #1,601 of 2,176
Hey guys, the original lightning cable has already given up… where can I find a good quality (resistent) one aside from the very expensive ddHiFi one ?cheers!

Sep 9, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #1,603 of 2,176
Hey guys, the original lightning cable has already given up… where can I find a good quality (resistent) one aside from the very expensive ddHiFi one ?cheers!
I've had the Hidizs LT02 for two years, fairly regular use, still going strong. It works with RU7. When I try to use the Fiio LT1 or LT3 the RU7's screen lights up, and my iPod touch 7 says "Cayin RI7 Playback", but I get no sound.

Sep 9, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #1,604 of 2,176
Can anyone who has the RU6 and RU7 compare the RU6 against RU7's DSD64 mode?

I am enjoying the RU7 but wonder if I am missing anything that the RU6 provides. If the RU7's DSD64 sounds like the RU6 then I wouldn't need to wonder.

Sep 9, 2023 at 5:50 PM Post #1,605 of 2,176

Users who are viewing this thread

Back