Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
May 26, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #3,496 of 3,665
What's even more exciting is the fact that RU7 has an on-board chip tasked with reclocking and de-jittering duties. On paper, RU7 is a dream device. It does everything I could have asked for.
The RU6 is a dream device too, if you can provide a perfect USB source. This R2R sound is right my preference so I would say that I prefer upgrading my equipment surrounding the RU6.

Now the great question is: will the Jitterbug work with USB mics? This could improve PC microphones a lot.

May 26, 2023 at 9:11 AM Post #3,497 of 3,665
The RU6 is a dream device too, if you can provide a perfect USB source. This R2R sound is right my preference so I would say that I prefer upgrading my equipment surrounding the RU6.

Now the great question is: will the Jitterbug work with USB mics? This could improve PC microphones a lot.
To my understanding, the sonic difference between R2R and 1bit DACs is rather minuscule.

Many reviewers have compared the RU6 with the Schiit Modi multibit and totally assimilate R2R and 1bit DACs sound.

As for using the jitterbug with a USB recorder, thanks for the idea, I will surely try that next time I record some music.

Last edited:
May 26, 2023 at 12:10 PM Post #3,498 of 3,665
When you said "will not work", I assume you can't get the RU6 to function correctly? No sound output at all?
Please be reminded that you need a Lighting to USB-C cable that can deliver 5V in order to use RU6 as USB DAC for your iPhone or iPad (HERE). Most charging/data Lighting to USB cabless are rated at 3.3V only, so they aren't fit the job.
No RU6 power on at all using the Lightning to USB-C cable that came with my FiiO KA3.

BTW…. I am listening to my LCD-XC (2019) and RU6 (out of iPad Pro). I am not sure if you would classify these phones as hard to drive, but at 35 db on the volume, I am enjoying my bass heavy test tracks :)

May 26, 2023 at 2:21 PM Post #3,499 of 3,665
I think you need a camera connection kit with lightning iOS devices. Don‘t ask me why a straight lightning to USB-C adapter do not work.

May 26, 2023 at 4:09 PM Post #3,501 of 3,665
I use Cayin usb c to lightning cable (cca 20 usd) work perfectly, but I also use other OTG “audio” (“no name” 10-15 usd) usb c to lightning cables purchased from Aliexpress and they also work well with RU6.
As from my experience with all dacs I have non of them working with standard charging cables provided with phones. I think after all those years of experience with dacs it is not a topic anymore.
The only thing should be a topic is there any audible difference between 15 usd cable and 40 usd cable and if you ask me, little if any.
There could be differences in shielding against interferences (network, Bluetooth, wi-fi etc..) not in SQ or data transfer as such.

May 26, 2023 at 10:55 PM Post #3,502 of 3,665
No RU6 power on at all using the Lightning to USB-C cable that came with my FiiO KA3.

BTW…. I am listening to my LCD-XC (2019) and RU6 (out of iPad Pro). I am not sure if you would classify these phones as hard to drive, but at 35 db on the volume, I am enjoying my bass heavy test tracks :)

Can't comment on the Lightning to USB-C cable from Fiio, but please check out your RU6 with iPhone again when you can get hold of a Lightning to USB adapter cable that is capable of 5V instead of 3.3V.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 30, 2023 at 6:42 AM Post #3,503 of 3,665
For those interested I started the comparison between the W1, DC04PRO, M15, RU6 and RU7. It's actually not a real comparison but my impressions of these dongles and the various positive aspects you can expect from using them. I opened a special thread so as not to congest this and others relating to individual dongles. As I have availability, I will insert the comments relating to the dongles that have not yet arrived.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-dongle-war-w1-dc04pro-m15-ru6-ru7.968388/#post-17581852

May 31, 2023 at 2:35 AM Post #3,504 of 3,665
To my understanding, the sonic difference between R2R and 1bit DACs is rather minuscule.
They are quite a bit different, at least when it comes to the lower end of the range, which we are in.

May 31, 2023 at 9:12 AM Post #3,505 of 3,665
Another great match, which I highly recommend, with fantastic synergy for the RU6 is the one that comes out with the Etymotic ER4SR. Since it wants iems as neutral as possible, I thought... which is the most transparent and natural iem I have? Looking well in the iem drawer, the ER4SR came out, simply the most natural iem that exists in the world and still today unmatched for its reference sound. I was expecting a certain synergy, but I didn't imagine what I would hear after a while... a deep and powerful bass (for which they have always been criticized because they are extremely flat) like I had never heard on the Etys. Only the RU6 could make me look for the ER4SRs after all this time... but not because they sound bad... it's just having to get used to inserting them again, let's say, not really natural... lol
If you want to really hear the RU6's voice you have to use a stethoscope, and I did. Great!!!

Jun 1, 2023 at 12:43 PM Post #3,506 of 3,665
For those of you, who have the Jitterbug FMJ, does it have some play when you pull the usb A...sorry I don't know how to describe this...

Jun 1, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #3,507 of 3,665
For those of you, who have the Jitterbug FMJ, does it have some play when you pull the usb A...sorry I don't know how to describe this...
No, it doesn't. But honestly, I only use the jitterbug with my RU6 in my desktop setup

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2023 at 3:05 AM Post #3,508 of 3,665
I received a pre-owned cayin ru6 today.
When I change the volume using the hardware buttons on the RU6, there is a hiccup in the audio..... It goes silent for half a second or so.... Does it happens on every unit?

Jun 2, 2023 at 3:12 AM Post #3,510 of 3,665
I received a pre-owned cayin ru6 today.
When I change the volume using the hardware buttons on the RU6, there is a hiccup in the audio..... It goes silent for half a second or so.... Does it happens on every unit?
Yes. Go to the first page of this thread and all is explained there.

Resistor Array volume control is not a new technology, it has been around for a very long time. They are very high-quality volume control designs, extremely transparent when implemented correctly and you can find them in a lot of high-end preamps and integrated amplifiers. Each segment of the resistor array can only provide ~10 steps of volume control, this is not enough in real-life applications, so you need to "hop" to another set of resistor arrays for another 10 steps, and so on, and so on.

We don't recall anyone using resistor array volume control in a Dongle DAC, probably not even in portable DAP. There is no way we expected this outcome when we started the RU6 project back in early February 2021 (when we completed R01 R&D). We completed the RU6 circuit design in a very fast track but we stuck at the volume control issue for 3 months trying different solutions and going nowhere. Using Resistor Array Volume Control is our final trump card. It is an out-of-proportion implementation for Dongle DAC and that is another month to finalize the current 9-segment resistor array design.

Our main hesitation with resistor array volume control is not about technical difficulties or budget considerations. The Resistor Array volume control involves switching relays when you hop from one segment to another. The relay will produce a very mild pop sound with speakers and is inaudible when you are 2 or 3 meters away from the speaker. Unfortunately, the pop noise will become very annoying to sensitive IEM users. For this reason, we need to mute the output for a short moment when a relay kicks in. This will introduce a small delay (around 40ms) in volume adjustment, definitely a setback from a user experience point of view. For dedicated audiophiles who put audio performance, this is a small price to pay to implement an R-2R resistor ladder network in a dongle DAC. but we can understand some users might consider this as a deal breaker, that's why we explained this in detail upfront.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back