Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Apr 28, 2023 at 1:40 AM Post #3,376 of 3,686
+1 .. Highly recommend UAPP with RU6 especially in bit perfect mode. It truly unleashes all it analog goodness.. have used poweramp and hiby with this but nothing makes it sound dynamic or fun as UAPP
UAPP sounds really good. But I prefer Neutron Player for the real time PCM to DSD upsampling. I know RU6 does not do native DSD, but it still sounds better with DSD in my opinion.

Apr 28, 2023 at 3:28 AM Post #3,378 of 3,686
Does anyone know if there's a chance the RU6 will ever work with Tidal bit perfect exclusive mode on Android? This is the app I use for listening, so I was disappointed to find that it doesn't seem to be compatible with the RU6.

As other RU6 users have explained, the Tidal app didn't support RU6 for Exclusive USB mode, but there are other options to use Tidal streaming service in Exclusive USB mode with RU6. Someone has suggested USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP), with its built-in gateway to Tidal, you can playback your local and streaming content in one App, UAPP will recognize RU6 and pop up USB Exclusive mode when you plug in RU6. The other option is to download the Tidal plugin for HiBy Music Player, this will serve similar purpose functionally, and since HiBy Music Player is freeware, so this option won't cause you anything, but you need to install the Tidal plugin, enable "USB Audio Performance Mode" and lock the USB Audio volume in USB output setting of your HiBy Music Player App.

1682666894659.png

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 28, 2023 at 10:04 AM Post #3,379 of 3,686
+1 .. Highly recommend UAPP with RU6 especially in bit perfect mode. It truly unleashes all it analog goodness.. have used poweramp and hiby with this but nothing makes it sound dynamic or fun as UAPP
And for Apple music, NePlayer is a must.
Very best app for streaming AM

Apr 28, 2023 at 10:24 AM Post #3,380 of 3,686
As other RU6 users have explained, the Tidal app didn't support RU6 for Exclusive USB mode, but there are other options to use Tidal streaming service in Exclusive USB mode with RU6. Someone has suggested USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP), with its built-in gateway to Tidal, you can playback your local and streaming content in one App, UAPP will recognize RU6 and pop up USB Exclusive mode when you plug in RU6. The other option is to download the Tidal plugin for HiBy Music Player, this will serve similar purpose functionally, and since HiBy Music Player is freeware, so this option won't cause you anything, but you need to install the Tidal plugin, enable "USB Audio Performance Mode" and lock the USB Audio volume in USB output setting of your HiBy Music Player App.

That is true. I have uapp and Tidal works fine with it. With Hiby, not so much. It takes controla of the dongle (its exclusive mode) but then doesn't do bit perfect playback. Either way, these apps don't allow access to offline/ downloaded content on Tidal. I mainly use usb dongles on the go and don't do much streaming in this instance. Realising ru6 doesn't work with Tidal was a huge disapointment for me. Anyone want to buy one?

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2023 at 4:03 PM Post #3,381 of 3,686
Realising ru6 doesn't work with Tidal was a huge disapointment for me. Anyone want to buy one?
IPad Pro > Tidal app > RU6

Playing a “master” track on Tidal, it looks like I am getting the first MQA unfold, as the RU6 shows 96Khz sampling. Sounds just fine to me.

Apr 29, 2023 at 12:27 AM Post #3,383 of 3,686
I'm an android user. Maybe that means the problem is an issue with Tidal android app.
It’s actually Tidal itself. The Ru6 sounds great with Qobuz - this is one of many reasons I quit Tidal. Sure there is more data download involved, but there is nothing to unpack. I stream Qobuz in the office/home and buy my albums for offline use (at a discount btw) - ymmv and all that.

Apr 29, 2023 at 8:38 AM Post #3,384 of 3,686
It’s actually Tidal itself. The Ru6 sounds great with Qobuz - this is one of many reasons I quit Tidal. Sure there is more data download involved, but there is nothing to unpack. I stream Qobuz in the office/home and buy my albums for offline use (at a discount btw) - ymmv and all that.
I'd like to buy albums for offline use but i listen lo lots of genres and different artists...I just don't have the money to do that. I usually only make the effort to buy albums from local and smaller bands that really can use the support. And i go to a lot of concerts and live gigs.

Apr 29, 2023 at 10:10 AM Post #3,385 of 3,686
I'd like to buy albums for offline use but i listen lo lots of genres and different artists...I just don't have the money to do that. I usually only make the effort to buy albums from local and smaller bands that really can use the support. And i go to a lot of concerts and live gigs.
I’ve got quite a collection of local bands from my college years! But I think I t’s also a contributing factor to the occasional ringing in my ears!

Apr 29, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #3,386 of 3,686
Actually Qobuz on android phone still be resample to 48khz.
If you want playing bit perfect, listen Qobuz via UAPP.
It will show 44.1 on Ru6 for a standard CD track, while 48 shown if play by Qobuz app

Apr 29, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #3,387 of 3,686
In case you've not know yet:

RU6 seems to have a bug that cause unstably make a hand shake with device need to connect to.
Earlier days I thought it relate the cable and the phone.
Now after many cable and using days, I am sure those were not all of reasons. Ru6 is one of reason.

It clips, pop when use a certain good cable as the one come in box with B&O headphone.
(I have no idea for this matter other than use another brand cable).

It can not power on randomly for any cable.
To make a connection, I plug ru6 to a 5V DC source, ru6 will power on, 100% all the times.
After it ON, I unplug and now plug it to phone.
It will ON 100%

May 4, 2023 at 9:54 AM Post #3,389 of 3,686
I found, thrown in a drawer, an old Jitterbug Audioquest that I used with the Dragonfly red (with no noticeable difference), do you think it might make sense to connect it to RU6? Do any of you still use it? How should the audio improve in your opinion? Thank you.

May 5, 2023 at 3:12 AM Post #3,390 of 3,686
I found, thrown in a drawer, an old Jitterbug Audioquest that I used with the Dragonfly red (with no noticeable difference), do you think it might make sense to connect it to RU6? Do any of you still use it? How should the audio improve in your opinion? Thank you.
Try it and let us know what you think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back