Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Apr 18, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #3,347 of 3,685
Sorry if this has been asked before reading through the whole thread now because i want to try the r2r sound. I understand that it is recommended, i use an iphone, to max th eiphones volume and then do volume control on the ru6. With another dacamp that i used in the past this caused the iphone to stop playing audio if i did it this way. Hos is that with the ru6?
And is a lightning to usbc cable include dor do you need to buy one separately?
Thanks
Greetings, Anouk.

Apr 18, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #3,348 of 3,685
Sorry if this has been asked before reading through the whole thread now because i want to try the r2r sound. I understand that it is recommended, i use an iphone, to max th eiphones volume and then do volume control on the ru6. With another dacamp that i used in the past this caused the iphone to stop playing audio if i did it this way. Hos is that with the ru6?
Thanks
Greetings, Anouk.
There’s a lighting cable available for an extra $20 from Cayin. I bought some generic Amazon ones to have more options but they didn’t work.
As far as volume, the ru6 bypasses and ignores any volume settings on the phone. It’s all controlled on the unit itself

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2023 at 3:28 AM Post #3,350 of 3,685
Thanks
Greetings, Anouk.
The ru6 bypasses iPhone volume.

Cable isn’t included. I recommend OEaudio or DDhifi otg cables or you can use an adapter ( lightning to usb C [F] meenova pro recommend ) with the stock type C cable

Apr 19, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #3,351 of 3,685
Hi again, sorry slowly going through this massive thread. I have owned the dragonfly red for many years. I still like it but i want something with volume control and want to try r2r.
Can anyone compare size of dragonfly red: • 12mm (h) x 19mm (w) x 62mm (l)
with ru6? I am pretty sure its heavier since i read that ru6 is 28g. I cant find weight of dragonfly anywhere but it certainly feels heavier then that.
thanks in advance
Greetings, Anouk

Apr 19, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #3,352 of 3,685
Thanks for the replies and sorry for my stupid question, really interested and although I am reading through the whole thread its taking some time.
In the past I had the earman sparrow or eagle i forgot, the one with balanced outputs and i guess it had problems because it did not have its own volume controls. I used it balanced with the meze 99 classics and if i had volume on iphone over 70 percent orso audio really started freaking out. I thought the amp was drawing too much powe rfrom the phone but good to know tha tI hopefully wont have this problems with the ru6.
Thanks again
Greetings, Anouk,

Apr 19, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #3,353 of 3,685
Is there a consensus on another short USB C cable? And is the stock C cable available anywhere?

Late to the party.

Apr 19, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #3,354 of 3,685
controls. I used it balanced with the meze 99 classics and if i had volume on iphone over 70 percent orso audio really started freaking out. I thought the amp was drawing too much powe rfrom the phone but good to know tha tI hopefully wont have this problems with the ru6.,
You almost certainly will. 4.4mm started clipping in the 60s for me. 3.5mm is good for much more volume. On iDevices I would recommend against the 4.4 unless you plan to keep pretty low listening levels.

Apr 19, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #3,355 of 3,685
You almost certainly will. 4.4mm started clipping in the 60s for me. 3.5mm is good for much more volume. On iDevices I would recommend against the 4.4 unless you plan to keep pretty low listening levels.
While I do get clipping at that level on my iPhone it’s already loud enough for me before that. I don’t think you’ll need more for most iems.

Apr 19, 2023 at 5:44 PM Post #3,356 of 3,685
While I do get clipping at that level on my iPhone it’s already loud enough for me before that. I don’t think you’ll need more for most iems.
Yeah, that’s different for everyone.

Apr 20, 2023 at 1:12 AM Post #3,357 of 3,685
Is there a consensus on another short USB C cable? And is the stock C cable available anywhere?

Late to the party.
I use one from GUCraftsman cable which you get on Amazon. I get no RFI with iPad Pro, one plus 8T or Samsung S23. Also try ddhifi cables as alternate as well

Apr 20, 2023 at 1:16 AM Post #3,358 of 3,685
Thanks for the replies and sorry for my stupid question, really interested and although I am reading through the whole thread its taking some time.
In the past I had the earman sparrow or eagle i forgot, the one with balanced outputs and i guess it had problems because it did not have its own volume controls. I used it balanced with the meze 99 classics and if i had volume on iphone over 70 percent orso audio really started freaking out. I thought the amp was drawing too much powe rfrom the phone but good to know tha tI hopefully wont have this problems with the ru6.
Thanks again
Greetings, Anouk,
Don’t have iPhone but on my iPad Pro 2020 you don’t get any volume control on iPad when connected to RU6 using usb C. you need to use dac vol control and I can barely go above 32 on RU6 before it is too loud . Same setting on both balanced and unbalanced. As you may know RU6 has no true balanced out

Apr 20, 2023 at 7:23 AM Post #3,359 of 3,685
Thanks for the replies. I am planning to use ru6 with iems and unbalanced so might not be as much trouble as before.
I didnt get clipping the audio just stopped working if i put it at an apparently too high volume with my iphone se 2020.
Another question, can you control the gain and filter settings with the cayin app or just on the unit itself? Both is completely fine just would like to know if you can use the app as well.
thanks again for the quick and helpful replies
Greetings, Anouk,

Apr 20, 2023 at 1:04 PM Post #3,360 of 3,685
Thanks for the replies. I am planning to use ru6 with iems and unbalanced so might not be as much trouble as before.
I didnt get clipping the audio just stopped working if i put it at an apparently too high volume with my iphone se 2020.
Another question, can you control the gain and filter settings with the cayin app or just on the unit itself? Both is completely fine just would like to know if you can use the app as well.
thanks again for the quick and helpful replies
Greetings, Anouk,
It is R2R dac no app or firmware, but you get high and low gain on device. Also you have a oversampling mode but I think it more HW based than SW( I may be wrong so don’t quote me).

Btw if you get a chance read the detailed pinned post by Cayin. It should be on page 1. It explains all of this in greater detail

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back