Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Apr 3, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #2,341 of 3,686
For me the most meaningful setting that I use often is OS and NOS modes. My preference is NOS as it sounds the most analogue. Of course OS mode does offer more clarify but it just doesn't sound as musical.
I prefer OS. Different strokes... and different settings in 2 seconds. :)

Apr 3, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #2,342 of 3,686
Hi folks,

Tried to searching but didnt find any info, but does the RU6 has a Line Out mode to connect to an external amplifier? It would be nice to use as a at home, transportable DAC for planars.
Many thx

Apr 3, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #2,343 of 3,686
I have to say, I am preferring the 2L classical recordings I have when listening on OS mode.

Apr 3, 2022 at 2:37 PM Post #2,344 of 3,686
Hi folks,

Tried to searching but didnt find any info, but does the RU6 has a Line Out mode to connect to an external amplifier? It would be nice to use as a at home, transportable DAC for planars.
Many thx
No, it does not have a line out.

Similar to many RU6 users, I've tried double amping and it works out pretty well, no noticeable distortion or clipping. In my case, I'm using RU6 Max volume & Low gain connected to the iFi xDSD Gryphon (in Amp mode) via a short 3.5mm to 3.5mm Aux cable. RU6 on it's own can drive my Sundara to sufficient volume but lacks enough authority, adding Gryphon (with 1W of power & xBass) helps improve the sound nicely.

Apr 3, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #2,345 of 3,686
No, it does not have a line out.

Similar to many RU6 users, I've tried double amping and it works out pretty well, no noticeable distortion or clipping. In my case, I'm using RU6 Max volume & Low gain connected to the iFi xDSD Gryphon (in Amp mode) via a short 3.5mm to 3.5mm Aux cable. RU6 on it's own can drive my Sundara to sufficient volume but lacks enough authority, adding Gryphon (with 1W of power & xBass) helps improve the sound nicely.
Exactly how I feel my N5iiS driving the Sundara on 2.5mm, enough volume but no authority. I was searching for a transportable solution for the Sundara. How do you feel the gryphon on its own?
Many thx

Apr 3, 2022 at 7:58 PM Post #2,346 of 3,686
Exactly how I feel my N5iiS driving the Sundara on 2.5mm, enough volume but no authority. I was searching for a transportable solution for the Sundara. How do you feel the gryphon on its own?
Many thx
I'd say Gryphon drives it 90% well. The iDSD Signature drives it 100% but it's not as portable and does not have bluetooth. RU6 would probably be 60%.

With Sundara, I have to dial the volume on Gryphon to ~80 (out of 106) and on Signature ~12 O' Clock on Normal Mode, so lots of head room with later and it sounds a bit better too.

If you like the N5iiS sound, you could also get a portable Amp to pair with N5iiS's Line-Out? something like the Topping NX7 or iFi xCAN should be enough to drive Sundara nicely while being less expensive.

Apr 3, 2022 at 10:51 PM Post #2,347 of 3,686
Constantly being impressed by the super clean PO of the RU6. Using PO to my WA8 turns this into a very potent R2R combo~

Currently using this combo to drive the HD650 for pop songs, extremely beautiful female vocals

Apr 4, 2022 at 12:36 AM Post #2,348 of 3,686
Hi folks,

Many thx

You come to the right place. If you use the search function to look for line out discussion in this thread, you'll find a lot of information in this thread, this is one of the most frequently asked question in this thread. :ksc75smile:

Among the posts I responed, THIS and THIS is a good starting point.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 4, 2022 at 12:40 AM Post #2,349 of 3,686
The RU6 has been a game changer for me. It has reignited my love for discovering new music! The Mojo2 is in my sights just to see what different flavour it brings but really like the RU6! Kudos Cayin!!

Thanks you, this is exciting feedback to product developer, bring people closer to music is the main objective to develop HiFi products, we wish you all the best in your music journey. :beerchug:

Apr 4, 2022 at 12:45 AM Post #2,350 of 3,686
Yes. Different strokes for different folks. Just amazed that we even have the option in such a small device!

Apr 4, 2022 at 12:50 AM Post #2,351 of 3,686
Thanks you, this is exciting feedback to product developer, bring people closer to music is the main objective to develop HiFi products, we wish you all the best in your music journey. :beerchug:
I know it has been said before but worth saying again. Thanks Andy for all your responses to this thread. You are one of the reasons why many of us love Cayin products! Am so looking forward to the development of the R2R DAP!

Apr 4, 2022 at 12:50 AM Post #2,352 of 3,686
The RU6 is magical. I just wish it was a DAP with a bit more power. I cannot afford a DAP >$1,000 USD. Maybe I will score a used N6ii with the R2R amplifier. Cayin is now the brand I look to for DAPs after hearing the RU6 and the N8ii. 🙏🏻

Apr 4, 2022 at 1:57 AM Post #2,353 of 3,686
I have steer users away to use RU6 as DAC to portable amplfiier becuse it doesn't have a line out, and the noise characteristic of R2R DAC is technically not ideal for "pseudo" line out application. However, I did try to connect RU6 to C9 to test how it work out. On top of using the pre-amp input mode of C9, which was frequently used with DAP without a proper line out, I noticed that when I connect RU6 to 3.5mm line input of C9, the quality is actually better then using 4.4mm balanced line input of C9. Therefore if someone really want to sue RU6 as line out to external amplifier, I'll recommend you to stay with single-ended connection.
What would cause the 3.5 out to be better than 4.4 when put in front of an amplifier? I curently use. 3.5 mm to rca to amp,but was considering getting the 4.4 to rca connector for more power

Apr 4, 2022 at 3:59 AM Post #2,354 of 3,686
What would cause the 3.5 out to be better than 4.4 when put in front of an amplifier? I curently use. 3.5 mm to rca to amp,but was considering getting the 4.4 to rca connector for more power

Just in case you don't aware that RU6 is not a full balanced design, check HERE.

4.4mm from RU6 offers more power but not the usual benefit of full balanced design, such as channel seperation and better noise and interference control. The noise level of 4.4mm phone out is slightly higher than 3.5mm phone out. If you were to use it as phone output, the higher power normally will out-weighted the noise issue, but if you are using it as balanced line out, the extra power is not necessary an advantage buy you need to deal with the increased noise.

Apr 4, 2022 at 4:18 PM Post #2,355 of 3,686
Can someone please tell me how you connect the Cabin RU6 to a smartphone that utilises micro USB (e.g. HTC Desire Pro 10 (micro USB 2.0)). I've tried:

a) a micro USB to USB C coverter
b) a micro USB to USB A OTG cable (Dragontail) whilst attaching the RU6 to the Dragontail using the Cayin's USB C to USB A adapter.

Note: I'm using UAPP and have selected the correct settings.

Was wanting to just use my HTC as an audio player (DAP). Any advice would be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back