Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Apr 4, 2022 at 10:54 PM Post #2,356 of 3,665
Can someone please tell me how you connect the Cabin RU6 to a smartphone that utilises micro USB (e.g. HTC Desire Pro 10 (micro USB 2.0)). I've tried:

a) a micro USB to USB C coverter
b) a micro USB to USB A OTG cable (Dragontail) whilst attaching the RU6 to the Dragontail using the Cayin's USB C to USB A adapter.

Note: I'm using UAPP and have selected the correct settings.

Was wanting to just use my HTC as an audio player (DAP). Any advice would be appreciated.
I'm sure you can easily find a micro USB to USB C OTG cable. I have the Xduoo one that came with my Xduoo XD05 Basic. However I don't have a micro USB device to test it on.

Apr 4, 2022 at 11:22 PM Post #2,357 of 3,665
I'm sure you can easily find a micro USB to USB C OTG cable. I have the Xduoo one that came with my Xduoo XD05 Basic. However I don't have a micro USB device to test it on.
Thanks. I ordered one yesterday on Amazon - should arrive today. Fingers crossed. Thanks 👍.

Apr 7, 2022 at 1:03 AM Post #2,360 of 3,665
Hi guys, have anyone tried the normal USB A to C (from Aukey, Anker) to connect Ru6 with PC? I asked because I am going to buy a 1meter cable to play with PC, thanks!

Apr 7, 2022 at 6:20 AM Post #2,361 of 3,665
Apr 7, 2022 at 7:09 AM Post #2,362 of 3,665
Apr 7, 2022 at 7:48 AM Post #2,363 of 3,665
thanks for the tip. so it depends on the iems/hps , phone and volume :)

Apr 7, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #2,364 of 3,665
Last edited:
Apr 7, 2022 at 11:53 PM Post #2,365 of 3,665
thanks for the tip. so it depends on the iems/hps , phone and volume :)

The warning is related to the famous power supply limit imposed by iOS, several reviewers has reported that the limit is 120mA according to their measurement. So Choice of headphone/IEM (related to loading of the device), music content and volume (related to ouptut level) will be some of the direct cause to reach that 120mA limit.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 8, 2022 at 8:04 AM Post #2,366 of 3,665
Hey ya'll! I've been out of the portable game for a while now and it's been all about building up my full sized desktop rig for the past year or so, but that is all about to change. . .I have a RU6 on the way as well as a pair of Moondrop KATO and Penon Serial and can't wait to have a quality portable setup again. The weather is getting better in Texas with Spring in full effect, and I love to listen to quality music outside during my daily walks, and figure it's time to get back into the portable side of hobby. This will be my first Cayin product and I can't wait to hear this thing! :ksc75smile:

Apr 8, 2022 at 9:02 AM Post #2,367 of 3,665
Hey ya'll! I've been out of the portable game for a while now and it's been all about building up my full sized desktop rig for the past year or so, but that is all about to change. . .I have a RU6 on the way as well as a pair of Moondrop KATO and Penon Serial and can't wait to have a quality portable setup again. The weather is getting better in Texas with Spring in full effect, and I love to listen to quality music outside during my daily walks, and figure it's time to get back into the portable side of hobby. This will be my first Cayin product and I can't wait to hear this thing! :ksc75smile:
Enjoy the RU6! I have the Penon Serial on the way too. Hearing good things about them.

Apr 8, 2022 at 9:10 AM Post #2,368 of 3,665
So I've had the Cayin RU-6 for a few months, and I felt like I ought to post my thoughts. TL;DR is I really like it.

PXL_20220326_161320173.jpg

First up, the deal breakers (for some, but not for me): The RU-6 has a bit of hiss for super sensitive IEMs. It got better over time though and no longer really bothers me (that or I've gotten deaf enough not to care). Next up the RU-6 needs to warm up for a minute or two to sound its best. Right when I plug it in it's always a little flat and boring. Finally, like all dongles, it's very dependent on the source device to provide clean power and jitter-free data. The RU-6 needs a full power USB-C port to sound its best.

So none of those scared you off? Man, you might like the RU-6. It's got a very musical, relaxing sound to it. The low end has punch and growl, mids are natural, and the highs are relaxed and smooth. It's such comfort music - like wrapping yourself in a warm blanket.

OS mode adds some clarity, but can be fatiguing. This is very pair-up dependent though, the 64 Audio Nio's Tia treble doesn't get harsh or spiky in OS mode. For most music and IEMs I use NOS mode though - what I lose in clarity seems to be made up for by feeling more effortless and natural.

I have a bunch of other dongles I like, but none of them quite compare. The L&P W2 is more precise and technical, but has a limp, whispy low end. The Lotoo PAW S1 and A&K PEE51 both have similar clean and punchy sound, but both can get fatiguing if I listen for a long time or to peaky music. The Lotoo and A&K both sound great alone, but when I A/B test against the RU-6 come away feeling like they are trying too hard.

I guess the highest praise I can give the RU-6 is how much I use it. Even when I'm sitting at a desk near one of my "nice" stacks, I'll often reach for the RU-6 and chill out with it. I now listen to music on the RU-6 more than all my other sources combined.

The magical synergy for me is iPad Pro > RU-6 (low gain, NOS) > Nio. This combo gels with me in a way no other sound ever has. The iPad Pro has a nice clean USB-C port and provides all the power needed for the rest of the chain. The smooth treble on the RU-6 and the relaxed qualities of Tia treble work together and seem to lean into each others strengths for a spacious sound that still feels gentle and open. Sure it's a bit euphonic and warm, but that suits me just dandy with the post rock and electronica I spend most of my time listening to.

Thanks Cayin - I'm a believer, and if I ever get a nice DAP, 100% its going to be an R2R one made by you.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2022 at 10:14 AM Post #2,369 of 3,665
So I've had the Cayin RU-6 for a few months, and I felt like I ought to post my thoughts. TL;DR is I really like it.

First up, the deal breakers (for some, but not for me): The RU-6 has a bit of hiss for super sensitive IEMs. It got better over time though and no longer really bothers me (that or I've gotten deaf enough not to care). Next up the RU-6 needs to warm up for a minute or two to sound its best. Right when I plug it in it's always a little flat and boring. Finally, like all dongles, it's very dependent on the source device to provide clean power and jitter-free data. The RU-6 needs a full power USB-C port to sound its best.

So none of those scared you off? Man, you might like the RU-6. It's got a very musical, relaxing sound to it. The low end has punch and growl, mids are natural, and the highs are relaxed and smooth. It's such comfort music - like wrapping yourself in a warm blanket.

OS mode adds some clarity, but can be fatiguing. This is very pair-up dependent though, the 64 Audio Nio's Tia treble doesn't get harsh or spiky in OS mode. For most music and IEMs I use NOS mode though - what I lose in clarity seems to be made up for by feeling more effortless and natural.

I have a bunch of other dongles I like, but none of them quite compare. The L&P W2 is more precise and technical, but has a limp, whispy low end. The Lotoo PAW S1 and A&K PEE51 both have similar clean and punchy sound, but both can get fatiguing if I listen for a long time or to peaky music. The Lotoo and A&K both sound great alone, but when I A/B test against the RU-6 come away feeling like they are trying too hard.

I guess the highest praise I can give the RU-6 is how much I use it. Even when I'm sitting at a desk near one of my "nice" stacks, I'll often reach for the RU-6 and chill out with it. I now listen to music on the RU-6 more than all my other sources combined.

The magical synergy for me is iPad Pro > RU-6 (low gain, NOS) > Nio. This combo gels with me in a way no other sound ever has. The iPad Pro has a nice clean USB-C port and provides all the power needed for the rest of the chain. The smooth treble on the RU-6 and the relaxed qualities of Tia treble work together and seem to lean into each others strengths for a spacious sound that still feels gentle and open. Sure it's a bit euphonic and warm, but that suits me just dandy with the post rock and electronica I spend most of my time listening to.

Thanks Cayin - I'm a believer, and if I ever get a nice DAP, 100% its going to be an R2R one made by you.

Thank you very much. If you wrote this two weeks after you have the RU6, we probably will contribute the positive response as part of your new toy symdrone, but now you wrote this after using the RU6 for few month, and looks like you are going to stick it for quite a while (because Cayin don't have new R-2R DAP in near future), this is a definitely a passion-driven sharing.

When I read "Even when I'm sitting at a desk near one of my "nice" stacks, I'll often reach for the RU-6 and chill out with it", I checked your signature and noticed you have two desktop system: Sony TA-ZH1es > IER-Z1R and Bifrost 2 > SA-1 > Legend X, wander which "one" were you referring to? I put my money on Z1R, ....

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 8, 2022 at 10:25 AM Post #2,370 of 3,665
Thank you very much. If you wrote this two weeks after you have the RU6, we probably will contribute the positive response as part of your new toy symdrone, but now you wrote this after using the RU6 for few month, and looks like you are going to stick it for quite a while (because Cayin don't have any R-2R DAP in near future), this is a definitely a passion-driven sharing.

When I read "Even when I'm sitting at a desk near one of my "nice" stacks, I'll often reach for the RU-6 and chill out with it", I checked your signature and noticed you have two desktop system: Sony TA-ZH1es > IER-Z1R and Bifrost 2 > SA-1 > Legend X, wander which "one" were you referring to? I put my money on Z1R, ....
Had mine quite a while, led me to buy n6ii ro1 ...I now have r2r syndrome, but hey not a bad condition

Users who are viewing this thread

Back