Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Mar 11, 2022 at 10:25 AM Post #2,206 of 3,685
Thanks so much Andy! I reached out to Cayin support and they said the same thing!

Would using the Apple Lightning to USB A adapter help (and adding the Cayin USB A to USB C converter)? I am guessing not if the problem is with the iPhone output itself!
i wrote in another post that a friend of mine had same issue with headphone connected and iphone like source. with windows no problems at all

Mar 11, 2022 at 10:35 AM Post #2,207 of 3,685
I too run into clipping when using my iPhone 12 Pro Max at volumes above ~50 (low gain). I never really listen that high volume-wise so it's a non-issue for me. I'm using the ddHiFi MFi06 Lightning to USB-C cable.

Zero issues with clipping at any volume when playing from my HP laptop via USB-A to USB-C.

Mar 11, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #2,208 of 3,685
Thanks so much Andy! I reached out to Cayin support and they said the same thing!

Would using the Apple Lightning to USB A adapter help (and adding the Cayin USB A to USB C converter)? I am guessing not if the problem is with the iPhone output itself!

It won't help because the bottleneck is not on the cable, changing to lightning to USB A won't solve the bottleneck.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 11, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #2,209 of 3,685
Is the 1000mA USB-C spec also true for the Apple connectors on iPads? I ask because the only reason Apple has given for governing its lightning connector is to save its battery, which would logically carry over to iPads(?)
From what I recall, other users reported both iPads and iPad Pro works fine without running into power supply limitation.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 11, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #2,210 of 3,685
I too run into clipping when using my iPhone 12 Pro Max at volumes above ~50 (low gain). I never really listen that high volume-wise so it's a non-issue for me. I'm using the ddHiFi MFi06 Lightning to USB-C cable.

Zero issues with clipping at any volume when playing from my HP laptop via USB-A to USB-C.
I stopped using ddHifi cables because they seemed to be the main issue in most cases. I've also owned their OTG adaptor for USB-C cables on iPhones, which had the same problems and became loose / unusable after just a month. The OEAudio cable I have display none of those limitations in my use thus far. I usually carry my iPhone in my jeans pocket with the RU6 hanging out of them just by the USB cable, with no skips or disconnects.

Mar 11, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #2,211 of 3,685
I stopped using ddHifi cables because they seemed to be the main issue in most cases. I've also owned their OTG adaptor for USB-C cables on iPhones, which had the same problems and became loose / unusable after just a month. The OEAudio cable I have display none of those limitations in my use thus far. I usually carry my iPhone in my jeans pocket with the RU6 hanging out of them just by the USB cable, with no skips or disconnects.
Good to know. Luckily I rarely use my iPhone as my source with the RU6. 90% of the time it's my laptop or desktop PC. Hopefully the ddHiFi cable holds up as it wasn't cheap ($30 if I recall). I'll go for an OEAudio cable next time.

Mar 11, 2022 at 12:12 PM Post #2,212 of 3,685
Just purchased a RU6 and am absolutely loving it! Just noticed an odd quirk and was wondering if anyone had a similar experience or if I have a defective unit? I purchased from a dealer so would be able to return it if I needed to.

I have noted that when I crank the volume on my RU6, it starts to clip whenever I'm playing a bass heavy track. For acoustic or vocal tracks, no clipping occurs. It only happens with heavy bass notes and it sounds like stuttering / pauses in the track. I only notice this when running the RU6 at High gain at Volume 70 or Low gain at volume 76. When running OS mode, it clips at a lower volume level (65) but in NOS mode, it clips at a higher volume level (70s). Also, when running the ru6 off my macbook at similar levels, there is no clipping. I wouldn't say I listen at these levels to protect my hearing, but I just wanted to push it a bit and noticed this issue.

I have a feeling this is a power draw issue from my iPhone 13 pro using a Penon Lightning to USB-C cable as it gets worse when I push the volume louder, and then gets better when I push the volume softer. It also is better when using single ended because the power draw is lower.

The rest of the chain: Tidal Masters / Tidal HiFi --> iPhone 13 pro --> Penon Lightning to USB-C cable --> RU6 --> 4.4mm to Meze Liric.

I am debating purchasing the official Cayin Lightning to USB-C cable CS-L2C to see if that makes a difference. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!!!
I have not had my RU6 more than a couple weeks. So, take this with a grain of salt. I am running iPhone 13 Pro->Cayin USB-C to Lightning cable->RU6 in low gain OS mode->SeeAudio Bravery/Penon Globe in SE or Penon Serial in 4.4 "balanced". I have not, as of yet, had clipping. I don't run my volume higher than 60 though.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #2,213 of 3,685
No clipping with volume at 85, driving my 800S…

*Edit* I’ve just played an entire track at 100… no clipping, skipping or any other artefacts… I would suggest first checking your cable, then your RU6. I've also not faced any power issues with the L&P W2 previously out of an iPhone.

9EE4965A-E140-472F-A170-600AF8CDEBF9.jpeg
Thanks for checking on this for me! I can infer based on your picture... but you are running high gain NOS and 4.4mm output? Do you mind trying with High Gain OS and 4.4mm output?

Mar 11, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #2,214 of 3,685
It won't help because the bottleneck is not on the cable, changing to lightning to USB A won't solve the bottleneck.
I had too much time on my hands and I borrowed a Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter and used the Cayin USB A to USB C adapter, then used the Cayin USB C- USBC cable. I can say the stuttering playback is actually worse using this method sadly. Now I get clipping when using NOS mode, High gain, and volume of 75, but only with bass heavy music. No real issues with playing my usual jazz/acoustic.

Thanks to everyone for their replies! It looks like this is primarily an iPhone mV output problem, not a problem with the RU6, nor with my Penon cable. I guess the question is: just because I never listen to music at that high of a volume.... does knowing it has this behaviour bother me enough to use a different dongle? More Diana Krall I guess and less The Weeknd as I really love the sound of the RU6!

Mar 11, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #2,215 of 3,685
Mar 11, 2022 at 6:43 PM Post #2,216 of 3,685
Last edited:
Mar 11, 2022 at 8:21 PM Post #2,217 of 3,685
Iphone lacking power while android supply tone of power.
Two time I forgot to turn down so ru6 was at full volume when this low impedance high sensivity toy on my ears.

Btw IT00* with ru6 is compact for everyday carying.

* a bloat bass iem but sounds so good with wavelet or NeutronMp AutoEq + remove metal mesh (dust cover)

Attachments

• 20220312_081312.jpg
    20220312_081312.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Mar 11, 2022 at 8:30 PM Post #2,218 of 3,685
i would guess yes, it is. im about to order one right now.

Edit: ordered
Sorry for late reply. Yup it is. Awesome!

Mar 11, 2022 at 9:58 PM Post #2,219 of 3,685
Thanks for checking on this for me! I can infer based on your picture... but you are running high gain NOS and 4.4mm output? Do you mind trying with High Gain OS and 4.4mm output?
This is my setup:

Listening to Lingus - Snarky Puppy over Roon on my iPhone 11Pro Max attached to the RU6 using the Cayin lightening to USB C cable on high gain NOS

Listening on the Thie Audio Legacy 5 it clips at vol 55

Listening on the Tri Starshine and there is no clipping at vol 75. It starts to clip at volume 80 (about 90% of the time). It clips more at vol 85 (about 60% of the time).

Hope this helps!

Mar 12, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #2,220 of 3,685
I made a big big big mistake with fiio usb-c. Really sorry to Fiio. This cable has direction and side. But is really really sensible to position. No interference at all but if i move the cable i lost the sound
Edit now is died. Probably defective unit. Amen

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back