Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Jan 12, 2022 at 8:51 AM Post #1,561 of 3,665
Hi Andykong.
If possible, I hope it will be fixed in the driver or firmware.
Please consider it.

I don't think this is related to the driver. The problem lies with Microsoft multitasking management.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jan 12, 2022 at 11:02 AM Post #1,566 of 3,665
Thank you very much for sharing your RU6 review with us. :beerchug:

When I prepare the product review plan for RU6 before our product launch, I checked your donglemadness list and noticed that you decided to "retire" from your Dongle DAC adventure. I have kind of disappointed that we missed the opportunity. This is a happy surprise, glad to see you back onlilne. Of course we are excited to receive a strong recognition from you. :wink:
The pleasure is mine. I must thank RU6 for reigniting #donglemadness spirit. A tuning approach that I really admire. And I hope Cayin will continue to innovate sound appreciation that stays true to Analogue presentation. Cheers :beerchug:

Jan 12, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #1,567 of 3,665
This is such a nice review that it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside owning the RU6. Thanks. Still, I notice that you rank the CEntrance DACport HD higher and it is the only competitor to enjoy this privilege. Could you elaborate a bit on what gives the CEntrance DACport HD the edge over the RU6 since I have not been able to see any comparative reviews yet?

Many thanks

Jan 12, 2022 at 11:44 AM Post #1,568 of 3,665
This is such a nice review that it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside owning the RU6. Thanks. Still, I notice that you rank the CEntrance DACport HD higher and it is the only competitor to enjoy this privilege. Could you elaborate a bit on what gives the CEntrance DACport HD the edge over the RU6 since I have not been able to see any comparative reviews yet?

Many thanks
DACport HD is literally a desktop grade DAC/Amp that masquerade as a Dongle. It is the only one in existence that runs on legitimate Class A amplification and thus being the only one with 775 mW of power on tap. The price DACport HD paid for that power is utilization efficiency at which it will suck the life out of any battery powered host like no tomorrow. For one, CEntrance is a company that actually work with musicians and they understand music, hence the tuning for their devices are optimized for music. Sound wise, DACport HD and RU6 does share similar signature and timbral bias - both of which are the closest thing to being Analogue (so does Ovidius B1, Lotoo PAW S2 and Apogee Groove). The miniscule difference, DACport HD has the upper hand at being smoother while being crisp at the same time. But that's only obvious to me if I am to compare them side by side. Either way both already at the pinnacle, at least from my own perspective

Jan 12, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #1,569 of 3,665
DACport HD is literally a desktop grade DAC/Amp that masquerade as a Dongle. It is the only one in existence that runs on legitimate Class A amplification and thus being the only one with 775 mW of power on tap. The price DACport HD paid for that power is utilization efficiency at which it will suck the life out of any battery powered host like no tomorrow. For one, CEntrance is a company that actually work with musicians and they understand music, hence the tuning for their devices are optimized for music. Sound wise, DACport HD and RU6 does share similar signature and timbral bias - both of which are the closest thing to being Analogue (so does Ovidius B1, Lotoo PAW S2 and Apogee Groove). The miniscule difference, DACport HD has the upper hand at being smoother while being crisp at the same time. But that's only obvious to me if I am to compare them side by side. Either way both already at the pinnacle, at least from my own perspective

When we develop RU6, we have a hard time to work within the power supply limit of mobile phones, or iPhone to be exact. We have to limited the power drain at peak output to avoid the famous "uses too much power" error message from iPhone. Wanders how DACport HD can get away from this at such high output?

Recently we noticed Android mobile phones has implemented similar power drain limitation from user reports (Android 12 devices), let's hope they don't step up their protection on the USB-C/Lightning power drainage in foreseeable future.

Iphone accessory use too much power.jpg
1642011528165.png

Last edited:

Jan 12, 2022 at 1:27 PM Post #1,570 of 3,665
When we develolp RU6, we have a hard time to work within the power supply limit of mobile phone, or iPhone to be exact. We have to limited the power drain at peak output to avoid the famous "uses too much power" error from iPhone. Wanders how DACport HD can get away from this at such high output?

Recently we noticed Android mobile phones has implemented similar power drain limitation from user reports (Android 12 devices), let's hope they don't step up their protection on the USB-C/Lightning power drainage.

1642011528165.png
Totally understand Andy, the thing is, DACport HD also will not work with iOS, same case with Apogee Groove and Ovidius B1. These devices are more on purist approach that they are willing to sacrifice some element of compatibility for sheer power. Unfortunately we can't have everything. For what RU6 does, being able to run on iOS while still delivering top notch power is already very admirable. I have seen many Dongles flunked miserably trying to achieve what RU6 capable of

Jan 12, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #1,571 of 3,665
Totally understand Andy, the thing is, DACport HD also will not work with iOS, same case with Apogee Groove and Ovidius B1. These devices are more on purist approach that they are willing to sacrifice some element of compatibility for sheer power. Unfortunately we can't have everything. For what RU6 does, being able to run on iOS while still delivering top notch power is already very admirable. I have seen many Dongles flunked miserably trying to achieve what RU6 capable of
Giving up iOS is a very big sacrifice, these non-compatible Dongle DAC deserve a round of applause for their devotion. :clap::clap::clap::clap:

We have debated this topic over and over during the R&D period. On one hand we have devoted a lot of resource to implement purist solutions such as R-2R DAC and resistor array volume control in RU6, adding a worthy amplifier seems logical. On the ither hand, I was the devil advocate in the team, keep reminding them that we shouldn't give up iOS users financially and morally. Fortunately we strived a compromise that both Engineering and Marketing are happy with. I wish there is a chance that we can showcase our prouded, uncompromised version of RU6. Let's hope for the best when we are fighting for a better tomorrow somewhere.:beerchug:

Jan 12, 2022 at 6:22 PM Post #1,572 of 3,665
Well, considering I’ve been indirectly mocked here for the splitter topic I’ll have to give up using this dongle. Drains my Walkman battery in less than an hour. Around 45 minutes. No joke. The NW-A105 doesn’t have wireless charging. I can use it with my iPad or iPhone but I never listen to music on them. Too bad because it sounds and looks great with its orange case connected to the TPS2 case on my Walkman, which always had the orange Hot Line button on the classic. What a waste

Jan 12, 2022 at 8:37 PM Post #1,573 of 3,665
Well, considering I’ve been indirectly mocked here for the splitter topic I’ll have to give up using this dongle. Drains my Walkman battery in less than an hour. Around 45 minutes. No joke. The NW-A105 doesn’t have wireless charging. I can use it with my iPad or iPhone but I never listen to music on them. Too bad because it sounds and looks great with its orange case connected to the TPS2 case on my Walkman, which always had the orange Hot Line button on the classic. What a waste
Hey dude sorry your question hasn't been fully answered. I do think this being an hobby forum everyone should be a little bit less critical when it comes to helping each other out. I think the issue was that maybe the idea wasn't communicate clearly, that we're either not sure exactly what you need or we might've just missed the point entirely. And there is a possibility that something you want might simply not exist.

That being said, I think a few members pointing out something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Charging-Splitter-Charge-Compatible/dp/B098SVSDYW/ref=sr_1_3?crid=VDB6IK2ESH6N&keywords=otg+usb+splitter+with+fast+charging&qid=1642035291&sprefix=otg+usb+splitter+with+fast+charging,aps,51&sr=8-3&th=1

or this

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Female-Charging-Splitter-Compatible/dp/B08KPD5S82/ref=sr_1_6?crid=VDB6IK2ESH6N&keywords=otg+usb+splitter+with+fast+charging&qid=1642035291&sprefix=otg+usb+splitter+with+fast+charging,aps,51&sr=8-6&th=1

Though I remember at the time you said it will won't work. I can't recall exactly what was the reason anymore.

I took a quick look at the Sony NW-A105, it sounds like the number 1 complaint from users review is actually about the battery life. I think even without the RU6 the battery life isn't too long to begin with? Though it does seem like it supports fast charging. So it might still work with the splitter cables? But is the issue now that you're restricted to a wall plug/wall charger, then do you need a battery pack? Or the splitter cable simply does not support the voltage or amperage you need?

Again maybe as I said maybe I don't fully understand your exact need. Also I'm not trying to dig another hole if we more or less reached conclusion before.

I think sometimes in life there's just really no solution to everything so we just take the next closest thing. Hopefully you find something that's close enough to be a good compromise.

Jan 12, 2022 at 10:34 PM Post #1,575 of 3,665
When we develop RU6, we have a hard time to work within the power supply limit of mobile phones, or iPhone to be exact. We have to limited the power drain at peak output to avoid the famous "uses too much power" error message from iPhone. Wanders how DACport HD can get away from this at such high output?

Recently we noticed Android mobile phones has implemented similar power drain limitation from user reports (Android 12 devices), let's hope they don't step up their protection on the USB-C/Lightning power drainage in foreseeable future.

1642011528165.png
What.. Come on Google.You cannot do this to us.

Thanks @Andykong for the heads up. I think next generation dongles have to eventually come with battery source, my god. I don't like one bit what Google is doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back