Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Jan 11, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #1,531 of 3,665
The RU6 works just fine on my Win10 work PC (where I can not install drivers or applications).
lol cool good to hear! I mean I'm working from home now at the moment so doesn't really matter. But once covid is over (LOL god knows when) and if I ever have to work in the office again this might come in handy.

Thanks for the feedback!

Jan 11, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #1,532 of 3,665
lol cool good to hear! I mean I'm working from home now at the moment so doesn't really matter. But once covid is over (LOL god knows when) and if I ever have to work in the office again this might come in handy.

Thanks for the feedback!

My work PC currently has Windows 10 Enterprise, Version 1909, OS Build 18363.1977.

Jan 11, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #1,533 of 3,665
I also wanted to ask the same question: I read the whole thread and noticed that this has already been asked previously by at least 2 users (one of them asked @Andykong directly) but no one answered.

There is someone here that has the RU6 and can test it with an Android phone, connecting an IEM with a cable equipped with a microphone? It would be very helpful!

Also, I'd like to ask if the RU6 is a good match for the 7Hz Timeless: is there anyone who can give impressions and opinions?

Many thanks in advance!
Here https://www.head-fi.org/threads/iem...d-rock-ultimate-solution.885104/post-16737909 you can also find a reply.

Jan 11, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #1,534 of 3,665
RU6 is a nice match with the Timeless. The RU6 is a bit bassy and the Timeless already has a bit of a bass emphasis, as a result with some tracks the bass can feel a little loose. Overall though, they match very nicely.
Thank you for providing your feedback!

I have decided to buy a portable DAC / amp and at the moment I would be oriented towards the RU6, mainly because I am intrigued by its "analog" sound.

To tell the truth, I would like a DAC that is an all rounder that can pair well with IEMs that have a very different signature, since I would like to have at least 2-3 IEMs well differentiated from each other: my doubt is that the RU6 is a little too particular for this, but I am attracted precisely by its uniqueness compared to all the other portable DACs available so far.

I am also considering the W2 and the PAW S2: do you think one of them is more suitable as an all rounder? Here in my home (Italy) and in Europe in general these last two products seem to be difficult to find and I have no intention of importing them from the USA because at present the additional costs due to customs duties and Italian taxes would raise the price by over 30%, taking it to unacceptable levels IMHO.

I also considered the Violectric CHRONOS but I am not too convinced because of the power limitation.

Jan 11, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #1,536 of 3,665

I have decided to buy a portable DAC / amp and at the moment I would be oriented towards the RU6, mainly because I am intrigued by its "analog" sound.

To tell the truth, I would like a DAC that is an all rounder that can pair well with IEMs that have a very different signature, since I would like to have at least 2-3 IEMs well differentiated from each other: my doubt is that the RU6 is a little too particular for this, but I am attracted precisely by its uniqueness compared to all the other portable DACs available so far.

I am also considering the W2 and the PAW S2: do you think one of them is more suitable as an all rounder? Here in my home (Italy) and in Europe in general these last two products seem to be difficult to find and I have no intention of importing them from the USA because at present the additional costs due to customs duties and Italian taxes would raise the price by over 30%, taking it to unacceptable levels IMHO.

I also considered the Violectric CHRONOS but I am not too convinced because of the power limitation.
I'm also considering the dongles you've mentioned. And thx onyx in addition to your list.

Jan 11, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #1,538 of 3,665
@Andykong I am on Windows 10. Two laptops are plug and play ok with Ru6 but the sound is just so so.
I don’t find any improve compare to the headphone line of my laptop.
Both are just cheap laptops.
I installed driver from Cayin website on one of laptop - HP Pavilion and found no improvement neither.
(After driver's installed I did not found any new on audio driver setting as ASIO nor ASAPI....).
It's strange. I believe on ru6.
Somehow it is not working at full potential on (my) windows
From what I read people recommend burn in the unit for 100+ hours?

Though you should still notice any different off the bat though. Did you play around with OS vs NOS and is there any difference at all?

Jan 11, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #1,540 of 3,665

Pm sent

Jan 11, 2022 at 11:48 PM Post #1,541 of 3,665
I also wanted to ask the same question: I read the whole thread and noticed that this has already been asked previously by at least 2 users (one of them asked @Andykong directly) but no one answered.

There is someone here that has the RU6 and can test it with an Android phone, connecting an IEM with a cable equipped with a microphone? It would be very helpful!

Also, I'd like to ask if the RU6 is a good match for the 7Hz Timeless: is there anyone who can give impressions and opinions?

Many thanks in advance!
I plugged in the RU6 and tried Skype Echo Sound Test Service on my Android phone Xperia 10 II and it didn't seem to work. I don't think the RU6 has the mic input function.

I tested the Timeless at the showroom with my RU6. I noticed that the amount of bass response is a bit on the light side and there was a little bit hissing but those are only obvious in some recordings. It could as well be a characteristic of the Timeless which I'm not used to. I would say that they didn't do anything particularly wrong and it was an overall enjoyable combo.

Jan 12, 2022 at 12:50 AM Post #1,542 of 3,665
0112220843_HDR.jpg

My full review on RU6 here, in case you are interested to read:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/cayin-ru6-discrete-r-2r-usb-c-dac-amp.25607/review/27677/

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2022 at 1:44 AM Post #1,543 of 3,665
Yes been waiting for this!

My wallet is trying to spend money but I told myself I'd wait for your review first LOL.

I think at this point I'm pretty much sold on RU6 but before I pull out my credit card just want a last sanity check. Could you give a very brief impression as to how RU6 compare to the following?

L&P W2 = My friend is trying to convince me to go for W2 since it's suppose to be the highest resolution dongle dac. Though I keep reading it's boring, for me sound signature > resolution. Is my assessment correct?
L&P W2 131 = Due to dac chip shortage they were forced to make a new model, suppose to be slightly more intimate but also warmer sounding. Also less terrible on 3.5 mm output compare to the original (where only balance sounds good). But since this is new so I'd totally understand if you haven't try it yet.
Questyle M12 = lol did RU6 manage to beat one of your top 5?
Colorfly CDA M1 = You mentioned you got it but not sure if you get a chance to listen to it yet? This one I just heard has very good quality to price ratio so I was a bit intrigued.

Headphone used will be Denon D5200 3.5 mm cable (don't have balanced cable yet) and music preference is forward female vocal, sparkly treble and soul crushing bass (I mean I did buy a Denon...... lol). So I'd say I like colored sound not really looking for neutral (which to me is a bit boring...... did I mention I have a Denon....... lol).

Thanks again for your dedication in dongles!!!

Jan 12, 2022 at 1:59 AM Post #1,544 of 3,665
Yes been waiting for this!

My wallet is trying to spend money but I told myself I'd wait for your review first LOL.

I think at this point I'm pretty much sold on RU6 but before I pull out my credit card just want a last sanity check. Could you give a very brief impression as to how RU6 compare to the following?

L&P W2 = My friend is trying to convince me to go for W2 since it's suppose to be the highest resolution dongle dac. Though I keep reading it's boring, for me sound signature > resolution. Is my assessment correct?
L&P W2 131 = Due to dac chip shortage they were forced to make a new model, suppose to be slightly more intimate but also warmer sounding. Also less terrible on 3.5 mm output compare to the original (where only balance sounds good). But since this is new so I'd totally understand if you haven't try it yet.
Questyle M12 = lol did RU6 manage to beat one of your top 5?
Colorfly CDA M1 = You mentioned you got it but not sure if you get a chance to listen to it yet? This one I just heard has very good quality to price ratio so I was a bit intrigued.

Headphone used will be Denon D5200 3.5 mm cable (don't have balanced cable yet) and music preference is forward female vocal, sparkly treble and soul crushing bass (I mean I did buy a Denon...... lol). So I'd say I like colored sound not really looking for neutral (which to me is a bit boring...... did I mention I have a Denon....... lol).

Thanks again for your dedication in dongles!!!
Thanks. Ok will try to make this as concise as possible:

W2 undoubted is one hell of amazing unit. It is a perfect Dongle if analyzing music is your thing. But if you prefer to enjoy music then I will always pick RU6 over W2. The resolution of W2 despite being great is not as wildly stellar as how it was hyped. Even Asus ROG Clavis can do a much cleaner output than W2, so does REIYIN DA-Plus. The biggest setback of W2 being super anemic and uninspiring as the load goes up, it is super amazing if you already have TOTL level IEMs that are super competent on their own

I haven't tried the W2 131 as I am no longer keen on getting the variation of W2, especially if I have to pay $299 to sate my curiosity. So I don't know.

M12 remains one of my favorite, but if you check the latest ranking on my site today, M12 now sits at No.3 and RU6 at No.2.

CDA M1, yes I have already listened to it. It does sound very well balanced and polished. Very natural for an ESS Sabre DAC/Amp. No annoying Pina brightness that are prominent on many ESS Dongles. However so far I have found that M1 is only optimized for highly efficient devices. It does not have enough juice to run more demanding stuffs. So if you don't have a need for demanding stuffs, M1 is indeed a great option. For me personally I am okay with it.

Jan 12, 2022 at 2:20 AM Post #1,545 of 3,665
Thanks. Ok will try to make this as concise as possible:

W2 undoubted is one hell of amazing unit. It is a perfect Dongle if analyzing music is your thing. But if you prefer to enjoy music then I will always pick RU6 over W2. The resolution of W2 despite being great is not as wildly stellar as how it was hyped. Even Asus ROG Clavis can do a much cleaner output than W2, so does REIYIN DA-Plus. The biggest setback of W2 being super anemic and uninspiring as the load goes up, it is super amazing if you already have TOTL level IEMs that are super competent on their own

I haven't tried the W2 131 as I am no longer keen on getting the variation of W2, especially if I have to pay $299 to sate my curiosity. So I don't know.

M12 remains one of my favorite, but if you check the latest ranking on my site today, M12 now sits at No.3 and RU6 at No.2.

CDA M1, yes I have already listened to it. It does sound very well balanced and polished. Very natural for an ESS Sabre DAC/Amp. No annoying Pina brightness that are prominent on many ESS Dongles. However so far I have found that M1 is only optimized for highly efficient devices. It does not have enough juice to run more demanding stuffs. So if you don't have a need for demanding stuffs, M1 is indeed a great option. For me personally I am okay with it.
Yeah I think I'll be sticking with D5200 for a while and not foresee myself buying anything demanding any time soon. D5200 is 24 Ohm and 103 dB/mW sensitivity, so I think I'll be ok lol.

Oh though I do hear that biodynas need a bit current to sing. Though I wouldn't know which dongle provide more current (this is beyond my electrical knowledge).

LOL I think I was ready for RU6 but as you said CDA M1 is actually not bad, now I need to re-think about this again. But I'd imagine is it at this point is it's more "different" and "preferences" rather than a clear cut "better"? Though for a "natural sounding ESS", would you say you like M12 better or CDA M1?

Sorry I know it's getting late at night time we can chat more tomorrow.

Again thank you so much for all your feedback!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back