Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Jan 12, 2022 at 2:29 AM Post #1,546 of 3,665
Yeah I think I'll be sticking with D5200 for a while and not foresee myself buying anything demanding any time soon. D5200 is 24 Ohm and 103 dB/mW sensitivity, so I think I'll be ok lol.

Oh though I do hear that biodynas need a bit current to sing. Though I wouldn't know which dongle provide more current (this is beyond my electrical knowledge).

LOL I think I was ready for RU6 but as you said CDA M1 is actually not bad, now I need to re-think about this again. But I'd imagine is it at this point is it's more "different" and "preferences" rather than a clear cut "better"? Though for a "natural sounding ESS", would you say you like M12 better or CDA M1?

Sorry I know it's getting late at night time we can chat more tomorrow.

Again thank you so much for all your feedback!
Yes, it's clear cut M12 is superior to CDA M1. M12 remains the one right after Apogee Groove for very mature natural sound from the ESS Sabre camp. As it is, taste play a big role too, always remember these can be very subjective and we are talking about devices that are already great in their own rights

Jan 12, 2022 at 2:48 AM Post #1,547 of 3,665
Jan 12, 2022 at 2:49 AM Post #1,548 of 3,665
I plugged in the RU6 and tried Skype Echo Sound Test Service on my Android phone Xperia 10 II and it didn't seem to work. I don't think the RU6 has the mic input function.

I tested the Timeless at the showroom with my RU6. I noticed that the amount of bass response is a bit on the light side and there was a little bit hissing but those are only obvious in some recordings. It could as well be a characteristic of the Timeless which I'm not used to. I would say that they didn't do anything particularly wrong and it was an overall enjoyable combo.
Thank you for your precious feedback!

Yes, I also suspected that the mic function was not supported by the RU6. I do not know if it is a problem inherent to the type of device and therefore unsolvable, but it is certainly a big limitation for a device that is born mainly for portability - which nowadays means 99% that it is connected to a smartphone (and therefore there is is the need to be able to make / answer calls).

Jan 12, 2022 at 3:12 AM Post #1,550 of 3,665
I plugged in the RU6 and tried Skype Echo Sound Test Service on my Android phone Xperia 10 II and it didn't seem to work. I don't think the RU6 has the mic input function.

I tested the Timeless at the showroom with my RU6. I noticed that the amount of bass response is a bit on the light side and there was a little bit hissing but those are only obvious in some recordings. It could as well be a characteristic of the Timeless which I'm not used to. I would say that they didn't do anything particularly wrong and it was an overall enjoyable combo.
Thank you, much appreciated!

Jan 12, 2022 at 3:14 AM Post #1,551 of 3,665
Fantastic review! You did a hell of great job!
Can I ask your opinion on which do you think could be more suitable between BAL and SE in combination with 7Hz Timeless? Thanks!!!
Thank you. For 7Hz Timeless, despite being one of the most efficient Magnetic Planar, it is still a Magnetic Planar which means Timeless will scale up better with more power. So I would use the 4.4mm BAL

Jan 12, 2022 at 6:48 AM Post #1,553 of 3,665

Thank you very much for sharing your RU6 review with us. :beerchug:

When I prepare the product review plan for RU6 before our product launch, I checked your donglemadness list and noticed that you decided to "retire" from your Dongle DAC adventure. I have kind of disappointed that we missed the opportunity. This is a happy surprise, glad to see you back onlilne. Of course we are excited to receive a strong recognition from you. :wink:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jan 12, 2022 at 6:57 AM Post #1,554 of 3,665
Hi @Andykong! I hope you can provide this information. Does RU6 support headsets with inline mic for phone calls when it's paired with Android smartphone?
I also wanted to ask the same question: I read the whole thread and noticed that this has already been asked previously by at least 2 users (one of them asked @Andykong directly) but no one answered.

There is someone here that has the RU6 and can test it with an Android phone, connecting an IEM with a cable equipped with a microphone? It would be very helpful!

Also, I'd like to ask if the RU6 is a good match for the 7Hz Timeless: is there anyone who can give impressions and opinions?

Many thanks in advance!

From what I recall, I tested RU6 with my 99Classic that come with a inline mic. I was on a wechat online meeting but they can't hear me at all, I need to disconnect the RU6 to continue the meeting.

Jan 12, 2022 at 7:30 AM Post #1,555 of 3,665
I will report it because it seems to be a problem.

I have a Cayin RU6 connected to Windows 10 PC.
1. Play music without problems (itunes)
2. Put my PC into sleep mode (several hours)
3. Resume my PC
4. When I play music from this state, a large noise is generated from the left and a small noise is generated on the right side as the music is played.
5. Remove RU6 and reconnect it to fix it.

Looks like the multitasking from Windows 10 didn't works up to speed, when you reconnect the RU6, the Window will detect and activate the device driver again.

@Andykong I am on Windows 10. Two laptops are plug and play ok with Ru6 but the sound is just so so.
I don’t find any improve compare to the headphone line of my laptop.
Both are just cheap laptops.
I installed driver from Cayin website on one of laptop - HP Pavilion and found no improvement neither.
(After driver's installed I did not found any new on audio driver setting as ASIO nor ASAPI....).
It's strange. I believe on ru6.
Somehow it is not working at full potential on (my) windows

When I use Foobar2000 after I installed the Cayin driver, I have the ASIO option shown up as below:

1641990546956.png

Jan 12, 2022 at 7:42 AM Post #1,556 of 3,665
@Andykong I'm really starting to appreciate the RU6 as it should be, in NOS mode with FLAC encoded music. But I'm also a fan of DSD.
Could you confirm how the RU6 handles DSD?

In John Darko's article, it's said that any DSD signal is converted to 384khz PCM, but I can't seem to find this information anywhere else.

Is that true that the RU6 can't process native DSD or DoP at all?

Jan 12, 2022 at 7:52 AM Post #1,557 of 3,665
@Andykong I'm really starting to appreciate the RU6 as it should be, in NOS mode with FLAC encoded music. But I'm also a fan of DSD.
Could you confirm how the RU6 handles DSD?

In John Darko's article, it's said that any DSD signal is converted to 384khz PCM, but I can't seem to find this information anywhere else.

Is that true that the RU6 can't process native DSD or DoP at all?

On page 1 post #1, we stated that RU6 support up to PCM 384kHz and DSD 64/128/256, but under the 24Bit Discrete R-2R Reistor Ladder DAC paragraph, we stated clearly that the Audio Bridge will convert DSD to PCM 24 Bit/384kHz.

So RU6 supports DSD, but it won't playback DSD natively, it will convert all DSD to PCM before decoding.

If native DSD is a deal breaker, R-2R is probably not your choice of decoding technology.

Last edited:

Jan 12, 2022 at 8:10 AM Post #1,558 of 3,665
From what I recall, I tested RU6 with my 99Classic that come with a inline mic. I was on a wechat online meeting but they can't hear me at all, I need to disconnect the RU6 to continue the meeting.
Thank you for the additional feedback on this topic. As I wrote in one of my previous post, making a portable DAC allow you to use the microphone would, in my opinion, be a wise choice and a great selling point...because nowadays "portable" for such a device means connected to the smartphone.

Jan 12, 2022 at 8:18 AM Post #1,559 of 3,665
On page 1 post #1, we stated that RU6 support up to PCM 384kHz and DSD 64/128/256, but under the 24Bit Discrete R-2R Reistor Ladder DAC paragraph, we stated clearly that the Audio Bridg will convert DSD to PCM 24 Bit/384kHz.

So RU6 supports DSD, but it won't playback DSD natively, it will convert all DSD to PCM before decoding.

If native DSD is a deal breaker, R-2R is probably not your choice of decoding technology.
Ok, thank you for your answer. It's not a deal breaker at all. I have other DACs with chips that handle native DSD very well.
The RU6 being such an uncommon dongle DAC design, I just wanted to clarify what it can or can't do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back