Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Jan 10, 2022 at 8:09 PM Post #1,516 of 3,665
Jan 11, 2022 at 12:55 AM Post #1,517 of 3,665
https://en.cayin.cn/down1/show?id=13630

Answer to question is "YES". The link above connects you directly to download from Cayin's website.

If that does not work, here is a google drive link below for downloading zip file

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rLunG-9bDYljocJciucew70YqOTaXfBk/edit
Awww I was hoping for plug and play.

To clarify does it need drive to work AT ALL OR it needs driver to unlock full feature? But could it work without driver just not running at highest sampling rate?

Asking because I might potentially use this for work computer in the future and we might not be able to install extra things on it.

Thanks!

Jan 11, 2022 at 1:06 AM Post #1,518 of 3,665
When you say rock, is that classic musical rock genres or more aggressive genres like speed metal, heavy metal or similar?

For classic guitar, bass guitar, vocals centric and harmonic rock including early 70s hard rock - e.g. Tony Joe White, Nils Lofgrem, Gary Moore, Allan Taylor, Joe Bonamassa, Dire Straits, Snowy White, Gary Moore, Jeff Beck, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Violent Femmes, Pink Floyd, America, Deep Purple - the RU6 is really good sounding, both dynamic and technical with enough bite. Here I would say that the pairing with IEMs or low impedance headphones and their respective technicalities are more limiting than the dac/amp dongle. Nothing that I have listed to is shrill/sibilant and too much in your face with the RU6.

Have not tried speed metal, heavy metal and similar since I’m not a huge fan of those genres.

Anyway, buy and try. If not happy sell or trade. Although being on the pricey side when dac/amp dongles are concerned, It’s not like the RU6 is a multi-thousand dollar DAP, and the second hand market for an RU6 is good since an R2R is more unique than the average ”ESS or CS ” dac/amp dongle.
Hmmmm this is one of the song I listen to recently:

This is one of my test track song:

For this song you can listen to the beginning the guitar riffs and snare drum hits. Some dac/amp if it's too smooth it cannot convey the aggressiveness properly.

Though in the grand scheme of things my "rock songs" are still not that hard hahaha. I guess it's like softer modern rock. So it's really not that demanding technically.

But since I just sold my D9200 recently I guess I do have some money to experiment a bit. As you said RU6 is not too expensive and should also be fairly easy to sell if I do change my mind later.

Thanks for the suggestions though! :)
r-2r has enough "bite" for anything but the fastest of fast blast beats. Only then does it get congested. Because the music is congested.
Having a digital sharpness and filter to take away some of the note decay and reverbs on some of those recordings can help them breath, but it's not exactly true to life. It's just a more standard cheap digital presentation, kind of like throwing away detail in an mp3.

I'd choose OS mode instead of NOS for filtering to make it sound a little more like ESS. Still doesn't get the shrill right though, lol.
lol I don't think my music is that congested I guess just the general smoothing on some dac/amp. For example in my listed songs I think for its purpose and intentions you kind of want the sharpness.

I might still just order one and try it out haha.

Jan 11, 2022 at 1:46 AM Post #1,519 of 3,665
I wonder how it can compete to an entry-mid range dap like the ibasso dx160. I do really like SQ and presentation of this dap, but also want to try RU6. How do they differ in SQ and overall presentation?

Jan 11, 2022 at 1:58 AM Post #1,520 of 3,665
Hmmmm this is one of the song I listen to recently:

This is one of my test track song:

For this song you can listen to the beginning the guitar riffs and snare drum hits. Some dac/amp if it's too smooth it cannot convey the aggressiveness properly.

Though in the grand scheme of things my "rock songs" are still not that hard hahaha. I guess it's like softer modern rock. So it's really not that demanding technically.

But since I just sold my D9200 recently I guess I do have some money to experiment a bit. As you said RU6 is not too expensive and should also be fairly easy to sell if I do change my mind later.

Thanks for the suggestions though! :)

lol I don't think my music is that congested I guess just the general smoothing on some dac/amp. For example in my listed songs I think for its purpose and intentions you kind of want the sharpness.

I might still just order one and try it out haha.

Just tried the two songs with the RU6. Both are reproduced perfectly fine on my MEST MkIIs using the RU6 on high gain. Fir the latter there are some bite differences when using NOS or OS setting on the RU6. What you prefer is obviously subjective, but the OS setting gives a bit more rough, unpolished timbre where distortion (overlaying of multi-tones] is more “industrial“ than the more smooth NOS setting. Both are reproduced in a good way and the rest is individual preferences.

Jan 11, 2022 at 2:47 AM Post #1,521 of 3,665
Just tried the two songs with the RU6. Both are reproduced perfectly fine on my MEST MkIIs using the RU6 on high gain. Fir the latter there are some bite differences when using NOS or OS setting on the RU6. What you prefer is obviously subjective, but the OS setting gives a bit more rough, unpolished timbre where distortion (overlaying of multi-tones] is more “industrial“ than the more smooth NOS setting. Both are reproduced in a good way and the rest is individual preferences.
Awesome, that's good to hear. Thanks!!! :D

Jan 11, 2022 at 5:40 AM Post #1,522 of 3,665

To clarify does it need drive to work AT ALL OR it needs driver to unlock full feature? But could it work without driver just not running at highest sampling rate?

Asking because I might potentially use this for work computer in the future and we might not be able to install extra things on it.

Thanks!

It depends, some Windows 10 computers can work directly (as reported by Ryan So in his recent RU6 review), some don't. Microsoft has included a USB Audio 2.0 driver since Windows 10, release 1703, but the driver was reported as "problematic", so MS has revised their driver in different Windows releases. From what I know, the latest version of Microsoft USB Audio 2.0 driver still don't support ASIO and WASAPI.

So if you are using the latest release of Windows 10, it should work, but you need the Cayin driver to unlock some features. IF you are using Windows 10 prior to release 1704, iit won't work, you need to install the driver definitely. For anything in between, you need to test the compatibility yourself.

1641896887963.png

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jan 11, 2022 at 6:17 AM Post #1,523 of 3,665
@Andykong I am on Windows 10. Two laptops are plug and play ok with Ru6 but the sound is just so so.
I don’t find any improve compare to the headphone line of my laptop.
Both are just cheap laptops.
I installed driver from Cayin website on one of laptop - HP Pavilion and found no improvement neither.
(After driver's installed I did not found any new on audio driver setting as ASIO nor ASAPI....).
It's strange. I believe on ru6.
Somehow it is not working at full potential on (my) windows

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2022 at 7:16 AM Post #1,524 of 3,665
Unfortunately the problem of this hobby is that there is always something better out there. Complacency is more uncommon than OCD. We continue the chase despite full awareness of the law of diminishing returns.

Why change something at a cost if you’re happy as is? Just enjoy the music on the wonderful device that the RU6 is (irrespective of utilizing the balanced or single-ended output)!
I know…

I guess I’m showing my age. I began putting this stuff together in the late ‘60’s. Cables were never a major component and/or a financial consideration back then…

Edit: If it’s any consolation to all of us here with a similar syndrome, if I decide at all for upgrading to balancing the input to my new cans, I believe I’ll be choosing the lesser expensive standard military grade copper cable from Surf rather than opting for color, a fancy splitter and OOC copper from LQi…

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2022 at 7:18 AM Post #1,525 of 3,665
I will report it because it seems to be a problem.

I have a Cayin RU6 connected to Windows 10 PC.
1. Play music without problems (itunes)
2. Put my PC into sleep mode (several hours)
3. Resume my PC
4. When I play music from this state, a large noise is generated from the left and a small noise is generated on the right side as the music is played.
5. Remove RU6 and reconnect it to fix it.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2022 at 10:13 AM Post #1,527 of 3,665
I can confirm that this model splitter does work for me without cutting out at higher volumes. It also fits the Cayin USB3 to type-c adapter much more snuggly than the previous adapter.

One thing I did notice with my particular setup, I don't know if it will carry over to other people's, is that the panning was affected slightly, but that's easily fixed with Neutron.

USB C OTG Adapter with Power, 2 in 1 USB C to USB with 60W PD Charging Adapter Compatible with iPad Pro, Dell XPS, Galaxy S21/S20+/Note10, Google Pixel 5/4XL Google Chromecast with Google TV https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09LM71CZ9/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_g_VCYBJ9TBAE0YQ6MPXN1A?psc=1

Jan 11, 2022 at 10:55 AM Post #1,528 of 3,665
Hi @Andykong! I hope you can provide this information. Does RU6 support headsets with inline mic for phone calls when it's paired with Android smartphone?
I also wanted to ask the same question: I read the whole thread and noticed that this has already been asked previously by at least 2 users (one of them asked @Andykong directly) but no one answered.

There is someone here that has the RU6 and can test it with an Android phone, connecting an IEM with a cable equipped with a microphone? It would be very helpful!

Also, I'd like to ask if the RU6 is a good match for the 7Hz Timeless: is there anyone who can give impressions and opinions?

Many thanks in advance!

Jan 11, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #1,530 of 3,665

Thanks!

The RU6 works just fine on my Win10 work PC (where I can not install drivers or applications).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back