Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Dec 6, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #691 of 3,665
As it was pointed out by @Andykong in the first post of this thread, RU6 is not full balanced, the signal path is singled ended and for convenience of 4.4mm BAL output a unity gain amp was added to convert SE to BAL. When I'm listening and comparing 3.5mm and 4.4mm outputs of RU6, the tonality and technical performance are nearly the same, the only difference is in power output, as expected. Now, just because the design follows single ended path, I'm comparing it to BAL output of something like W2, and find this pseudo BAL performance to be on the same level, even wider in soundstage expansion and with improvement in 3D imaging.
That's great to hear. Personally, I don't care if it's fully Balanced or not, I was just curious if there was a difference in sound between the two outputs. Like I mentioned before, when I had BTR5 & Sparrow, I was stuck with Balanced for better sound and since many of my IEM's had 3.5 jack, it was very annoying.

Dec 6, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #692 of 3,665
Lol the treble sounds much more realistic than the sanitized digital sounds of most daps to me. It's one of the first things I noticed. Real cymbal strikes aren't clean. I sat right by a drummer for years so I have that sound 'etched' in my head. 😀

Most daps and dongles are missing the fullness on brass percussion. I've got dx240 right here and it sounds amazing on of the few that I think sounds realistic on percussion, but I'm sure that's do to the excellent amping. Ru6 gives me that too.

Anyways just my 2 cents.

I think many (not saying any of you) associate R2R with a similar presentation to most tube amps (lush mids, rolled off highs), but that would be a mistake to assume.

Like @abitdeef is referring to above, I've found the treble on many R2R DACs (not all) to sound more lifelike. And, in real life, a cymbal next to your ear will grab your attention right quick lol.

Live music has a ton of information and space in the upper registers.

This is why I'm excited to grab an RU6 as a portable DAC/amp.

I was thinking the exact same.

I played drums as a kid (plus tried a few other instruments but wasn't too good at 'em) and can't recall hearing live cymbals that didn't have some harshness. So maybe I'm a bit old school as some of what we hear today may sound preferable even if not entirely authentic.

Dec 6, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #693 of 3,665
Lol the treble sounds much more realistic than the sanitized digital sounds of most daps to me. It's one of the first things I noticed. Real cymbal strikes aren't clean. I sat right by a drummer for years so I have that sound 'etched' in my head. 😀

Most daps and dongles are missing the fullness on brass percussion. I've got dx240 right here and it sounds amazing on of the few that I think sounds realistic on percussion, but I'm sure that's do to the excellent amping. Ru6 gives me that too.

Anyways just my 2 cents.

Maybe I just need to finish my burn in. I know what cymbals sound like, I’ve been in bands, I listen to a good vinyl setup etc - I’m not saying RU6 makes fake cymbal sounds but rather that there’s a little extra something in there with the treble.. others have raised this also in their initial impressions. Burn In burn in and let’s see

Dec 6, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #694 of 3,665
RU6 vs RME ADI 2 on Sony IERM7. No giant killers here today.

I know this is far from fair, but given how clean the RME ADI 2 I can easily see what's the problem i've been having with RU6, that etch/dirtyness is very evident when comparing.. its there too when compared with other sources I have like the Earmen sparrow, but not as obviously pointed as with the RME.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #695 of 3,665
Just got a notice that RU6 will be with me today ahead of schedule!! In 4-5 days I'll be able to say something about it. Yay.

Dec 6, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #696 of 3,665
RU6 vs RME ADI 2 on Sony IERM7. No giant killers here today.

I know this is far from fair, but given how clean the RME ADI 2 I can easily see what's the problem i've been having with RU6, that etch/dirtyness is very evident when comparing.. its there too when compared with other sources I have like the Earmen sparrow, but not as obviously pointed as with the RME.
I have the m9, and i think it works great synergy wise. I do think the treble quality on the m7 is something to be synergized with the source, so the more neutral or neutral bright it is, the more life there is to the m7, otherwise it can be bloat for some people.

Dec 6, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #697 of 3,665
I have the m9, and i think it works great synergy wise. I do think the treble quality on the m7 is something to be synergized with the source, so the more neutral or neutral bright it is, the more life there is to the m7, otherwise it can be bloat for some people.
the m7 has well extended treble even if overall it's a warm iem - it highlights any issues up there more so than something like the Andromeda.

Dec 6, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #699 of 3,665
One thing that I noticed between the 2021 Macbook Pro and the Cayin N6ii as the source. the digital output is at 44.1KHZ Macbook Pro and 96KHZ on the Cayin N6ii (as displayed on the RU6).

also does anybody notice any difference in the 320 Kbps MP3 vs Flac in OS & NOS?
You probably need to open the Audio MIDI Setup utility to change the default sample rate. If you are using the Apple Music app, you will need to adjust the sample rate depending on the song's sample rate. Other music apps (e.g., Audirvana) can do that automatically. hth

Dec 6, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #700 of 3,665
UAC1 for Cayin RU6! Starting to like this thing a lot, but man, this feature might just pull me back to the W2. Some of the best music I listen to is in my games.

Dec 6, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #702 of 3,665
You probably need to open the Audio MIDI Setup utility to change the default sample rate. If you are using the Apple Music app, you will need to adjust the sample rate depending on the song's sample rate. Other music apps (e.g., Audirvana) can do that automatically. hth
Thanks for the tip. That worked like a charm

Dec 6, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #703 of 3,665
You don't have to make that decision, you own both already. :wink: :beerchug:
Yeah I see.
I hope in future firmware (if have) a changing: press Menu button (short click) will change the Dac mode (OS/NOS) not regarding screen was on or off.
And long press that button will wake screen up if it was off.
Do you think it is more convinience?

Tnx

Just got a notice that RU6 will be with me today ahead of schedule!! In 4-5 days I'll be able to say something about it. Yay.

It is not as fast as mine, delivery within 48 hours :D
I like it at very moment unboxing.
I tried insert RU6 into audio path between sources (smp, ak1000) and hdv800/hd800s combo it sounds good. No claim.
(AutoEq of NeutronMp was used on the sources for each headphones)

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2021 at 9:30 PM Post #704 of 3,665
Any concerns about durability, riding/bouncing in backpack/pocket etc? I was thinking maybe due to the R-2R design
It has been going out with me everyday since Friday. So far so good for me. In use I have the phone in the side pocket of jeans and the tethered RU6 dangles outside the pocket. I keep it in a pouch with my headphones when not using it. I don't plan to use a case for the RU6. 20211207_101932.jpg20211207_101848.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back