Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Nov 19, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #215 of 3,665
Well this is disappointing to read. I have a W2, and am awaiting (impatiently, LOL) for my new 16" 2021 Macbook Pro to ship. It never occurred to me it wouldn't work with the new Apple Silicon machines. Now I'll be watching this thread for compatibility reports even more.
I have a MacBook Pro M1 and had no problems with the W2 (except I needed a Windows machine for updates). Not sure what happened to the other person

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2021 at 7:08 AM Post #217 of 3,665
Those are daps. This is a dongle with only a "simple" processing chip neccessary for the R2R network. Fortunately the focus has been the sound quality rather than the "optional" features 😁
you're totally right ) But we have an example of Lotoo paw s1/s2(with this feature) ..So I hoped that maybe Cayin also provide this "optional" feature)

Nov 19, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #219 of 3,665
Would I start a riot if I say "MQA is a gimmick"? :smirk:
TBH, gimmick is the wrong word, but IMHO nobody should base their decision on product A or B based on that "feature"...
Again, just my own personal opinion.

Nov 19, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #220 of 3,665
I am not sure that r2r dac could support mqa
Correct, It can't. Or at least no one has made it possible yet.

No current r-2r player supports MQA (afaik) as its licensed tech with a cost associated, easily implemented in off the shelf chips like AKM and ESS (sometimes even embedded), but not so in custom creations like this discrete ladder network.

If you are planning on using MQA as a format for your music, you will only be able to listen to r-2r via SW rendered 1st unfolds (up to 96kHz) Mostly that is just fine, and if you follow any info on the MQA conspiracy and artifacting, it's even the preferred way to listen with less measured file alteration.

Nov 20, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #221 of 3,665
Would I start a riot if I say "MQA is a gimmick"? :smirk:
TBH, gimmick is the wrong word, but IMHO nobody should base their decision on product A or B based on that "feature"...
Again, just my own personal opinion.
I think it's quite arguable question )

Correct, It can't. Or at least no one has made it possible yet.

No current r-2r player supports MQA (afaik) as its licensed tech with a cost associated, easily implemented in off the shelf chips like AKM and ESS (sometimes even embedded), but not so in custom creations like this discrete ladder network.

If you are planning on using MQA as a format for your music, you will only be able to listen to r-2r via SW rendered 1st unfolds (up to 96kHz) Mostly that is just fine, and if you follow any info on the MQA conspiracy and artifacting, it's even the preferred way to listen with less measured file alteration.
Thanks for the asnwer) It's very helpful)

Nov 20, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #222 of 3,665
I think it's quite arguable question
I agree. That is the reason that first - I asked if I would start a riot by asking that... And second - I emphasized that was my personal opinion.
I am aware there are 2 camps. Actually 3 camps:
* MQA believers
* MQA haters
* People that think it is just a different "flavor" but not necessarily better or worse

I guess I am personally on the 3 camp, thinking it sounds a little different but not necessarily better or worse. Just a little different.

Nov 20, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #223 of 3,665
I agree. That is the reason that first - I asked if I would start a riot by asking that... And second - I emphasized that was my personal opinion.
I am aware there are 2 camps. Actually 3 camps:
* MQA believers
* MQA haters
* People that think it is just a different "flavor" but not necessarily better or worse

I guess I am personally on the 3 camp, thinking it sounds a little different but not necessarily better or worse. Just a little different.
The thing I don't like about MQA (apart from the recent debunking) is that I find it practically impossible to tell the difference between 320 MP3, CD Quality and Hi Res. They sound pretty much identical to me but when I listen to MQA, it sounds different. Like others have said it doesn't necessarily sound worse but I find it hard to believe that MP3 CD and Hi Res are not true to the recording but MQA is.

Nov 20, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #224 of 3,665
The thing I don't like about MQA (apart from the recent debunking) is that I find it practically impossible to tell the difference between 320 MP3, CD Quality and Hi Res. They sound pretty much identical to me but when I listen to MQA, it sounds different. Like others have said it doesn't necessarily sound worse but I find it hard to believe that MP3 CD and Hi Res are not true to the recording but MQA is.
MQA is DRM masquerading as a value-added feature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back