Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Jan 8, 2022 at 10:59 AM Post #1,472 of 3,686
That's good to hear! I have a cable I use with LCD-2 currently that terminates to mini-XLR and utilizes short (~6") interconnects to swap termination types.

How's the volume headroom when using with the LCD-XC? I've only tried the RU6 with IEMs so far (Timeless and Nio) and I haven't felt the need to go higher than 45 on low gain.
Using low gain, NOS, I find that 40-55 on the volume is loud enough.

Jan 9, 2022 at 7:27 AM Post #1,473 of 3,686
This DAC/Amp has impressed me so much I think ill upgrade my headcans. But, only after doing a bit of research as to how to match the characteristics of this DAC with over-ear closed-back headcans. Some of the concerns here in this thread have raised at least one question as to how far I can go.

Those concerns are about the limitations Apple has apparently put on the lightning connector regarding how much power it can supply. That is, last night I experienced some cutouts at higher volumes than used the night before. Those settings were gain=low volume=75, and provided a relatively high volume level for my Shure SRH940 over-ear closed-back headcans that are impedance rated at 42ohms. I dropped the volume only to 70 and no more dropouts. My thinking is that I’ve most likely reached the lightning limitation, and that’s my first question(?)

My second question is about using a balanced cable with the new headphones. The RU6 specs state its balanced output wattage almost doubles its SE output. Does this imply better efficiency and less power draw, and a possible answer to the power dependency problem, or does it mean the RU6’s balanced output will exacerbate the problem?

I’ll have other questions about best matching the RU6 to headphones, but first things first…

Jan 9, 2022 at 10:15 AM Post #1,475 of 3,686
Did anyone experience EMI noise with the RU6? I'm gonna order mine tomorrow.

And how much better is the Balanced Out on RU6? Wondering If I should get a Balanced Cable for CA Honeydew IEM along with the RU6.
Haven’t experienced EMI while playing musicfrom my iPhone on Wi-Fi. RU6 doesnt not have a balanced architecture so unless you need extra oomph for you IEM you don’t necessarily need it.

Jan 9, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #1,476 of 3,686
My second question is about using a balanced cable with the new headphones. The RU6 specs state its balanced output wattage almost doubles its SE output. Does this imply better efficiency and less power draw, and a possible answer to the power dependency problem, or does it mean the RU6’s balanced output will exacerbate the problem?

It just adds a 2nd amplifier to boost output. In my experience if you are worried about power draw, best stick to the 3.5mm.

Jan 9, 2022 at 11:16 AM Post #1,477 of 3,686

And how much better is the Balanced Out on RU6? Wondering If I should get a Balanced Cable for CA Honeydew IEM along with the RU6.

I experience EMI when used with my iphone 12 mini quiet often, not as often as with my W2. but it sucks…

Jan 9, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #1,478 of 3,686

I had emi noise only in the change track when ru6 is joined to my phone. Otherwise i had no interference. About balanced in my opinion the difference in terms of sound presentation is small. Of course you have more power but again the difference is small

Jan 9, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #1,479 of 3,686
I had emi noise only in the change track when ru6 is joined to my phone. Otherwise i had no interference. About balanced in my opinion the difference in terms of sound presentation is small. Of course you have more power but again the difference is small
I'm not sure you can strictly class the noise we hear at the end of each track as EMI. It's more of a residual noise. If it was EMI you would be able to hear something during the track say if you brought your phone closer to the DAC. What we hear has nothing to do with electo magnetic impluse and doesn't interfere with the track until right at the very end.

Jan 9, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #1,480 of 3,686
I'm not sure you can strictly class the noise we hear at the end of each track as EMI. It's more of a residual noise. If it was EMI you would be able to hear something during the track say if you brought your phone closer to the DAC. What we hear has nothing to do with electo magnetic impluse and doesn't interfere with the track until right at the very end.
so you would hear the emi even if playing music with high volume?

Jan 9, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #1,481 of 3,686
Thanks for explanation. In this case i have no EMI issues lol

Jan 9, 2022 at 3:00 PM Post #1,482 of 3,686
This DAC/Amp has impressed me so much I think ill upgrade my headcans. But, only after doing a bit of research as to how to match the characteristics of this DAC with over-ear closed-back headcans. Some of the concerns here in this thread have raised at least one question as to how far I can go.

Those concerns are about the limitations Apple has apparently put on the lightning connector regarding how much power it can supply. That is, last night I experienced some cutouts at higher volumes than used the night before. Those settings were gain=low volume=75, and provided a relatively high volume level for my Shure SRH940 over-ear closed-back headcans that are impedance rated at 42ohms. I dropped the volume only to 70 and no more dropouts. My thinking is that I’ve most likely reached the lightning limitation, and that’s my first question(?)

I’ll have other questions about best matching the RU6 to headphones, but first things first…
"Balanced":
The RU6 is not a true balanced output, as there is only one DAC feeding Left and Right. It looks like there is another separate amplifier feeding the right channel at the output to the 4.4mm socket. However I am really enjoying my RU6 4.4mm output to Elegias and LCD-XC.

1641758373943.png

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #1,484 of 3,686
I seem to prefer the NOS setting on the RU6, however I wonder if Tidal Masters are oversampled when they are processed by Tidal?

Sorry to bring up MQA again.

Jan 9, 2022 at 9:24 PM Post #1,485 of 3,686
"Balanced":
The RU6 is not a true balanced output, as there is only one DAC feeding Left and Right. It looks like there is another separate amplifier feeding the right channel at the output to the 4.4mm socket. However I am really enjoying my RU6 4.4mm output to Elegias and LCD-XC.
I imagine I could be wrong in thinking the dropouts was a power problem. Is your M11 your only source of music and power? Or, are you augmenting a smart phone too?

Have you compared both outputs to your Focals?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back