Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Jan 7, 2022 at 12:26 AM Post #1,456 of 3,686
Hello all from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland … I’m new here, and thanks for the add…

With regard to the Cayin RU6, is anyone here familiar with JRiver’s Media Center, specifically using its media server and the iOS app JRemote for streaming the MC library to connected headphones? I’m currently using JRemote to simply stream to the iPhone (Xs), which works rather elegantly with the Soundblaster E5 Bluetooth DAC/Amp and Shure SRH940 headcans. I’m looking to upgrade…

That is, I’m particularly interested is the Cayin’s suggestion of bitstreaming to the DAC at the smartphone’s highest volume setting. Presently, I’m waiting for delivery next week, but I’ve posted a similar inquiry at the JRiver forum, to ask if anyone is familiar with JRemote and modern portable DAC’s, and also informing them that this is no ordinary DAC with respect to volume control. I had asked if the JRemote engineers could possibly add Cayin’s specifications to the app’s list of output devices.

Looking forward… :)
I use Jriver, mostly for Video and DNLA audio but I'd assume that just like any other DAC that you wanted to bitstream to, you would use just use Wasapi or Asio instead of Windows default audio renderer?

Jan 7, 2022 at 7:02 AM Post #1,457 of 3,686
I use Jriver, mostly for Video and DNLA audio but I'd assume that just like any other DAC that you wanted to bitstream to, you would use just use Wasapi or Asio instead of Windows default audio renderer?
At my age, I choose to remain ignorant of how everything works, but I’m not sure why the Windows audio drivers would need to come into play at all. That is, the way JRemote “seemingly” works with the remote Media Center server is to only make the audio (and video) files available for iOS to play locally. For example, the server provides for an option to downsample (transcoding) to lower bitrate MP3 for slower household LANs (even WANs if you can get past the ISP’s modem). I disable the transcoding for streaming 24bit FLACs within the LAN, but have to admit I sometimes get cutouts for sample rates >96kHz (downstairs to upstairs). Like for Youtube video, JRemote offers 2 progress bars, one for “playing” progress and another that shows “streaming” progress. In any case, I cannot imagine how/why JRiver would necessarily involve any Windows drivers ^and^ offer transcoding for downsizing the bitstream(?)

I don’t really expect JRemote to fail at bitstreaming properly to the Cayin—at least not yet—but I did want to avoid the need of turning up the iPhone’s volume every time I settle in for listening. But, like I said, I’m largely ignorant, but I also don’t imagine the players for streaming services (e.g., Tidal) offering an output setting for untouched streaming to a DAC/Amp(?)

Another question for exposing the level of my ignorance is to ask how you all are “breaking in” your RU6. I imagine installing the Cayin’s Windows driver, plugging the RU6 into USB, and having JRiver throw a huge playlist at it. I could do the same via JRemote. The question is does it need a load like a speaker or amplifier?

Jan 7, 2022 at 7:35 AM Post #1,458 of 3,686
At my age, I choose to remain ignorant of how everything works, but I’m not sure why the Windows audio drivers would need to come into play at all. That is, the way JRemote “seemingly” works with the remote Media Center server is to only make the audio (and video) files available for iOS to play locally. For example, the server provides for an option to downsample (transcoding) to lower bitrate MP3 for slower household LANs (even WANs if you can get past the ISP’s modem). I disable the transcoding for streaming 24bit FLACs within the LAN, but have to admit I sometimes get cutouts for sample rates >96kHz (downstairs to upstairs). Like for Youtube video, JRemote offers 2 progress bars, one for “playing” progress and another that shows “streaming” progress. In any case, I cannot imagine how/why JRiver would necessarily involve any Windows drivers ^and^ offer transcoding for downsizing the bitstream(?)

I don’t really expect JRemote to fail at bitstreaming properly to the Cayin—at least not yet—but I did want to avoid the need of turning up the iPhone’s volume every time I settle in for listening. But, like I said, I’m largely ignorant, but I also don’t imagine the players for streaming services (e.g., Tidal) offering an output setting for untouched streaming to a DAC/Amp(?)

Another question for exposing the level of my ignorance is to ask how you all are “breaking in” your RU6. I imagine installing the Cayin’s Windows driver, plugging the RU6 into USB, and having JRiver throw a huge playlist at it. I could do the same via JRemote. The question is does it need a load like a speaker or amplifier?
Apologies I missed the reference to iOS, read all the other references assumed that you would be using it like I use DACs and plugging it directly into a Windows machine.

It seems that you are streaming via DNLA to your phone using their remote app. Whether that app can bitstream or not over USB will be up to Jriver, but if it can't the next best thing is having the volume all the way up on your phone.

As for burning in, I would assume that having something for it to amplify would be required?

Jan 7, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #1,459 of 3,686
Last night I connected the RU6 to my iPhoneXS, and listened to music for about 2 hours, even in high gain mode since I had my VC connected.
Which iOS app are you using as the player, and are the audio files local to your iPhone Xs or are they being streamed from a server (e.g., DNLA)? Or, are you playing a service (e.g., Tidal)?

Edit: I was looking at the DNLA players available at the iOS appstore, and I saw Neutron mentioned before in this thread. Is anyone with a RU6 familiar with Neutron (iOS)?

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #1,461 of 3,686
Popping in to sing more praises for the RU6. New-to-me unit came in yesterday courtesy of another Head-Fier (kindly pre-burned in with 200 hours on the clock) and I've been using it with the Timeless via an HP laptop. This my first experience with R2R, and a dongle DAC/AMP for that matter, and I'm flat out impressed with just how good this little unit is. NOS has been my flavor of choice thus far and will most likely be my main mode for most music.

Awaiting delivery of an interconnect with a 4.4mm termination for my LCD-2's and can't wait to hear how full size cans sound fed from the RU6.

@Andykong - My kudos to you and the team at Cayin!

Jan 7, 2022 at 12:33 PM Post #1,462 of 3,686
Which iOS app are you using as the player, and are the audio files local to your iPhone Xs or are they being streamed from a server (e.g., DNLA)? Or, are you playing a service (e.g., Tidal)?

I listened to music with the iPhone XS and iPad Air4 via Tidal and Qobuz, as well as via ROON.
All without problems, only the Lightning -> USB C cable gets very hot at the Lightning port.

Jan 7, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #1,463 of 3,686
10 minutes after kicking myself for not opting for expedited delivery, a text arrives letting me know my Cayin RU6 has been delivered. Lots o’ kudos for the Headphone Bar (Vancouver BC) for getting it into the outgoing mail late Wednesday and for Canada Post for delivery to St John’s 4 days early in spite of bad weather.

Currently listening to Fleetwood Mac’s “Rumours” (192kHz), and via JRemote it sounds great, but keep in mind I can only relate to the iPhone’s own DAC and that of the Soundblaster E5. The RU6 provides for a much more comfortable sound, voices are intimately close, and the stage it sets is all around me (Shure SRH940 headcans).

The RU6 is reporting ‘192kHz’ (NOS), and the only question at this point is that I had thought the RU6 would report the oversampling but it instead reports the original sampling. It appears I was totally wrong to doubt JRiver’s implementation of JRemote delivering an accurate bitstream, although the iPhone still has control of the volume.

I’m using Cayin’s own OTG cable, and not hearing any dropouts with RU6 set for ‘low gain’ and volume ‘75’ which is a listening level just right for me. Large files (192kHz) are streaming perfectly well, but then, I’m downstairs near the primary mesh router.

Breaking in begins today. Life is good!

Jan 7, 2022 at 1:15 PM Post #1,464 of 3,686
Popping in to sing more praises for the RU6. New-to-me unit came in yesterday courtesy of another Head-Fier (kindly pre-burned in with 200 hours on the clock) and I've been using it with the Timeless via an HP laptop. This my first experience with R2R, and a dongle DAC/AMP for that matter, and I'm flat out impressed with just how good this little unit is. NOS has been my flavor of choice thus far and will most likely be my main mode for most music.

Awaiting delivery of an interconnect with a 4.4mm termination for my LCD-2's and can't wait to hear how full size cans sound fed from the RU6.

@Andykong - My kudos to you and the team at Cayin!
I got the HEDDPhone 4.4mm cable for my LCD-XC (2019) at $99 CAD.
Enjoying this DAC for it's sound stage, detail retrieval, and isolation of instruments.
NOS sounds better to my ears.
It is attached to my iPad Pro all day.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2022 at 1:24 PM Post #1,465 of 3,686
I got the HEDDPhone 4.4mm cable for my LCD-XC (2019) at $99 CAD.
Enjoying this DAC for it's sound stage, detail retrieval, and isolation of instruments.
NOS sounds better to my ears.
It is attached to my iPad Pro all day.
That's good to hear! I have a cable I use with LCD-2 currently that terminates to mini-XLR and utilizes short (~6") interconnects to swap termination types.

How's the volume headroom when using with the LCD-XC? I've only tried the RU6 with IEMs so far (Timeless and Nio) and I haven't felt the need to go higher than 45 on low gain.

Jan 8, 2022 at 4:58 AM Post #1,466 of 3,686
RU6 & LP6K & HEKSE

Nice!
IMG_2829.jpeg

Jan 8, 2022 at 5:23 AM Post #1,467 of 3,686
Jan 8, 2022 at 5:37 AM Post #1,468 of 3,686
Aaaand how does the rig sound?
Absolutely clear and "true to nature", I think here you say organic?
I listen to a lot of music with stringed instruments, the reproduction of these is wonderful, as well as female voices almost always give me goosebumps.

However, to listen with the HEKSE, I have to set the RU6 to high gain, then I move around 70 - 75dB, depending on the recording quality.

Jan 8, 2022 at 9:59 AM Post #1,469 of 3,686
Absolutely clear and "true to nature", I think here you say organic?
I listen to a lot of music with stringed instruments, the reproduction of these is wonderful, as well as female voices almost always give me goosebumps.

However, to listen with the HEKSE, I have to set the RU6 to high gain, then I move around 70 - 75dB, depending on the recording quality.
RU6 & LP6K & HEKSE

Nice!
IMG_2829.jpeg
Hello. Nice Player. The one I am considering to buy. The RU6 six is already mine :wink:
One question. Why would you buy such a great DAP and connect a dongle DAC to it? This is really something, I don't understand at the moment. Isn't the DAC in the LP6K not already great?

Thank you in advance

Jan 8, 2022 at 10:15 AM Post #1,470 of 3,686
Hello. Nice Player. The one I am considering to buy. The RU6 six is already mine :wink:
One question. Why would you buy such a great DAP and connect a dongle DAC to it? This is really something, I don't understand at the moment. Isn't the DAC in the LP6K not already great?

Thank you in advance
Hi :)

That I connected the RU6 to the LP6K was more for fun, for the photo.
I bought the RU6 in mid-December, and was so excited about the concept of being able to listen to my music "mobile", that I bought the Lotoo.

The RU6 is already for sale on EKA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back