Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Oct 31, 2023 at 9:28 PM Post #3,571 of 3,685
Though I like the RU6 more than the M15, the M15 does one thing better it doesn't consume power if no heaphone is connected, RU6 consume power whether headphone is connected or not as it is always warm, this may cause the components to wear faster I think.
The RU6 is much more delicate and sensitive to the way you use it... you must always connect and disconnect the IEMs (exclusively) when it is turned off, therefore before connecting it to the PC and do not leave it connected but always connect it after turning on the PC. :wink:

Oct 31, 2023 at 9:29 PM Post #3,572 of 3,685
...and always unplug it before turning off the PC... it doesn't like power surges...

Nov 3, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #3,573 of 3,685
My RU6 has stopped working with my iPhone oddly - was fine for months but now no music playback when connecting either via Apple CCK or DDhifi lightning cable. No such issues with my RU7...

Anyone else having this issue?
hello. i joined to report my having the same issue, where my chain worked well for a while then stopped working. wondering if you have found resolution?

Nov 3, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #3,574 of 3,685
hello. i joined to report my having the same issue, where my chain worked well for a while then stopped working. wondering if you have found resolution?
Did youv try the new firmware ?

Nov 3, 2023 at 12:30 PM Post #3,576 of 3,685
I kept the RU6 unplugged for couple of hours and it started working again, I used to keep the RU6 plugged in all the time to my PC, now I unplug it when I am done listening.

Not sure if this will help but you can try to plug in a 3.5mm cable with nothing connected to the other end and touch the other to a metal object to discharge any static electricity buildup in one of the resistors, repeat this with USB / 4.4mm cables.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #3,577 of 3,685
Nov 3, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #3,579 of 3,685
no worries. thanks for trying

my experience is very strange. it was working just fine while out on a walk playing downloaded files and during the walk it stopped and i haven't had any luck getting it to come back. also, it works fine unplugging the ddHiFi cable and RU 6 and simply using Apple dongle DAC
my chain is iphone SE 2022 with iOS 17.1>ddHiFi MFi09S OTG Cable | Lightning to USB-C > Cayin RU 6>Etymotic ER4SR. at first i thought maybe an iOS update messed everything up but i can't figure how to explain why it gave up mid-walk? anyway many thanks for the suggestions

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2023 at 2:04 PM Post #3,580 of 3,685
Update--I got a signal through from the source to the IEMs laying the entire chain (iPhone SE 2022 with iOS 17.1>ddHiFi MFi09S OTG Cable | Lightning to USB-C > Cayin RU 6>Etymotic ER4SR) flat on a table. Slight movements of the phone or touching the ddHiFi cable stops the signal.
I tried Apple's supplied USB C to Lightning cable but RU 6 doesn't light up. I don't have any other cables to try but I'm thinking maybe ddHiFi cable isn't making a good enough connection? I'll try and locate another cable to see if the issue is resolved.

Nov 3, 2023 at 9:10 PM Post #3,581 of 3,685
Sounds like a bad connection somewhere in the signal path.

Try borrow another iPhone from your friends to test your chain again?

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 4, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #3,582 of 3,685
A/B box some pairing.
My phone (ss note20u) sounds far below SQ of ak120ii when ru6 is in L gain mode.
Im sure 1000% H mode sounds better with my phone when driver a headphone. With ak120ii as a ref., SQ of Ru6 (again, my phone) is below average on L mode, vol 73 to 100, drive headphone).
H mode is acceptable in this case, not far to reach ak120ii.

Switch to sp1000, ru6 sounds good on both H and L.
Ak120ii sound very sharp and straight, beyond what sp1000 does. Bcs of that, it lack of 3D feeling compare to sp1000.
Ru6 is a kind of combination of them. So balance between them!

20231104_224115.jpg

Nov 4, 2023 at 3:20 PM Post #3,583 of 3,685
A/B box some pairing.
My phone (ss note20u) sounds far below SQ of ak120ii when ru6 is in L gain mode.
Im sure 1000% H mode sounds better with my phone when driver a headphone. With ak120ii as a ref., SQ of Ru6 (again, my phone) is below average on L mode, vol 73 to 100, drive headphone).
H mode is acceptable in this case, not far to reach ak120ii.

Switch to sp1000, ru6 sounds good on both H and L.
Ak120ii sound very sharp and straight, beyond what sp1000 does. Bcs of that, it lack of 3D feeling compare to sp1000.
Ru6 is a kind of combination of them. So balance between them!

20231104_224115.jpg
Damn there is A/B switch for 3.5 mm analogue input? :open_mouth:

Nov 4, 2023 at 4:03 PM Post #3,584 of 3,685
Update--I got a signal through from the source to the IEMs laying the entire chain (iPhone SE 2022 with iOS 17.1>ddHiFi MFi09S OTG Cable | Lightning to USB-C > Cayin RU 6>Etymotic ER4SR) flat on a table. Slight movements of the phone or touching the ddHiFi cable stops the signal.
I tried Apple's supplied USB C to Lightning cable but RU 6 doesn't light up. I don't have any other cables to try but I'm thinking maybe ddHiFi cable isn't making a good enough connection? I'll try and locate another cable to see if the issue is resolved.
I assume you have tried the Lightning to USB-C cable that is supplied with the RU6?

My experience is that my iPhone6 does not have the power to drive the RU6. I bought a FiiO KA3 for my phone.

Nov 5, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #3,585 of 3,685
I assume you have tried the Lightning to USB-C cable that is supplied with the RU6?

My experience is that my iPhone6 does not have the power to drive the RU6. I bought a FiiO KA3 for my phone.
The supplied Cayin USB-C to USB-C comes with an adaptor that allows use with USB-A. I hooked this up to my laptop and the RU 6 performs as expected. No drop outs, even while wiggling the cable and adaptor. It seems like the ddHiFi 09S USB-C to Lightning isn't making a good connection with the phone or the RU 6 or there could be an unseen break in the cable? I will also try a different phone to eliminate that possibility. Either way I am enjoying the RU 6 again thanks to the very helpful suggestions of the community.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back