Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Oct 26, 2023 at 9:49 PM Post #3,556 of 3,685
How do you guys deal with the interference on the Cayin RU-6?

I have had this unit for a little over a year and my setup is as follows: iPhone 11 Max Pro > ddHiFi mFi09S > Cayin RU6 > Eletech Raphael > Sennheiser IE900. I am taking a break from the Cayin N7 and pick this up from the drawer, and almost every other song is full of RFI. I don't think the IE900 is the most sensitive IEMs either. I have tried to turn on airplane mode, turn off wifi and cellular, keeping it away from laptop, etc.
You could try a longer, shielded USB cable and delete the Eletech out of the chain temporarily. And use a single-ended cable with the IE900 instead of a balanced one, if you are doing that.

Oct 27, 2023 at 12:21 AM Post #3,557 of 3,685

I have had this unit for a little over a year and my setup is as follows: iPhone 11 Max Pro > ddHiFi mFi09S > Cayin RU6 > Eletech Raphael > Sennheiser IE900. I am taking a break from the Cayin N7 and pick this up from the drawer, and almost every other song is full of RFI. I don't think the IE900 is the most sensitive IEMs either. I have tried to turn on airplane mode, turn off wifi and cellular, keeping it away from laptop, etc.
All reason relate audio noise when I use ru6 is the cable.
It is NOT depending how much the cable cost, brand.
Usb-C is not same even when two units look identically.
My phone, note7 can not connect to ru6 via ddhifi tc09s but note20ultra doing fine.
My usb cable comes with a B&O earphone introduce heavy noise (guess 20%)

Oct 27, 2023 at 6:24 AM Post #3,558 of 3,685
Are you streaming via cellular? I have found a good number of dongles have interference induced when a nearby phone is actively pulling data over cellular. But not WiFi. It’s not a great solution, but keeping cellular off or at least not using it while using the dongle helps in those situations.
Yes - I’m streaming from Apple Music with some files already downloaded. The RFI is less when on airplane mode with wifi and bluetooth turned off.

Oct 27, 2023 at 10:34 AM Post #3,559 of 3,685
Yes - I’m streaming from Apple Music with some files already downloaded. The RFI is less when on airplane mode with wifi and bluetooth turned off.
Yup, consistent with what I have experienced! If WiFi is available you can have that on and stream from WiFi - as long as there is no cellular activity (or if cellular is disabled) you should be OK.

I have a theory… these dongles were tested inside buildings, in offices or labs. Since virtually all offices now have WiFi, streaming only used WiFi when the testing occurred. If they’d taken the dongles out on the street and tried to stream to the devices they were attached to via cellular these problems might have been identified and addressed earlier…

Oct 27, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #3,561 of 3,685
Oct 31, 2023 at 7:25 AM Post #3,562 of 3,685

I use the 09s and 07s with the RU6 on my iPhone 11 and there's no noise at all with the 07s, but the 09s is much more sensitive and sounds better.

Oct 31, 2023 at 8:11 AM Post #3,563 of 3,685
I assume you can't roll back the iPhone system update? I am not familiar with iOS, maybe there is a build number in your current iOS system? Maybe we can verify that you two are using the same iOS version, and we can check with other iPhone users with the same version of iOS?
iOS 17.1 currently but was having the issue during an iteration of iOS 16. It was working fine with iOS 16 when I purchased it though - the issue materialised after a few months. V odd

Oct 31, 2023 at 9:05 PM Post #3,564 of 3,685
My RU6 stopped working today, the display and buttons function as expected and the OS also recoginze it but...no sound, I checked the cable/USB port etc, all working fine with my Questyle M15, its sad as it was one my favourite portable device.

Oct 31, 2023 at 9:07 PM Post #3,565 of 3,685
My RU6 stopped working today, the display and buttons function as expected and the OS also recoginze it but...no sound, I checked the cable/USB port etc, all working fine with my Questyle M15, its sad as it was one my favourite portable device.
from both balanced and unbalanced output?

Oct 31, 2023 at 9:17 PM Post #3,566 of 3,685
from both balanced and unbalanced output?
Omg I just checked the unbalanced output right after you asked, and now both are working!!! not sure what happened maybe it was static buildup in one of the resistor as I keep the RU6 connected to my PC all the time, I unplugged it couple of hours back and that fixed it I think.

Oct 31, 2023 at 9:20 PM Post #3,567 of 3,685
Omg I just checked the unbalanced output right after you asked, and now both are working!!! not sure what happened maybe it was static buildup in one of the resistor as I keep the RU6 connected to my PC all the time, I unplugged it couple of hours back and that fixed it I think.
Ok, a hundred bucks for the consultation… :o2smile:

Oct 31, 2023 at 9:23 PM Post #3,569 of 3,685
:beerchug:

Oct 31, 2023 at 9:25 PM Post #3,570 of 3,685
Though I like the RU6 more than the M15, the M15 does one thing better it doesn't consume power if no heaphone is connected, RU6 consume power whether headphone is connected or not as it is always warm, this may cause the components to wear faster I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back