Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Oct 9, 2022 at 7:52 PM Post #2,866 of 3,688
Had anyone experinced the RU6 abruptly sounding kind of out of phase (loudness decreases and vocal is echoey like singing in a well) especially after long listening session, had occurred twice and it resolved itself after I unplug it from the source for sometime and then tried them again.

Oct 9, 2022 at 8:07 PM Post #2,867 of 3,688
I get it more often. It sounds like clipping tbh.

I also hate the fact that my OS can't increase the volume over "15%". I can increase the %, but the volume won't increase! Only way to increase/decrease volume is on the amp itself. Why the hell? This is annoying. Fiio KA3 works properly with my OS and it comes without hardware buttons. The Cayin is my first amp/dac where OS volume control isn't fully supported...
It (the dap) also inactivate the EQ?
That bcs of the dap(s) completly handover controlling to ru6.
All dsp usually does by the dap will be disable/not working, including adj of volume.
If you connect ru6 to a phone, you can use phone's volume buttons.

Oct 10, 2022 at 4:11 PM Post #2,868 of 3,688
It (the dap) also inactivate the EQ?
That bcs of the dap(s) completly handover controlling to ru6.
All dsp usually does by the dap will be disable/not working, including adj of volume.
If you connect ru6 to a phone, you can use phone's volume buttons.
I haven't got a DAP. I'm running my Cayin from a PC. I fixed the volume problem after I switched the sound settings from "analog output" to "digital output". That way the volume control works properly. Does it even matter if it's analog or digital? It's strange, because all my other DACs don't have problems with the "analog output".

Oct 12, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #2,871 of 3,688
how much longer would you say? is the idea to keep the dongle away from phone? or is it transmitted through the cable and longer ones would defuse the EMI? sorry not really knowledgeable in this area.
keep the dongle away from phone

Oct 13, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #2,872 of 3,688
how much longer would you say? is the idea to keep the dongle away from phone? or is it transmitted through the cable and longer ones would defuse the EMI? sorry not really knowledgeable in this area.
the idea is to keep away the dongle from the phone... the noises are caused because of the electromagnetic waves...

Oct 17, 2022 at 8:16 AM Post #2,873 of 3,688
I haven't got a DAP. I'm running my Cayin from a PC. I fixed the volume problem after I switched the sound settings from "analog output" to "digital output". That way the volume control works properly. Does it even matter if it's analog or digital? It's strange, because all my other DACs don't have problems with the "analog output".
Hi, im experiencing the same issue too. Mind sharing how did you switch from "analog output" to "digital output" ? I assume you're on windows ?

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2022 at 12:56 PM Post #2,874 of 3,688
Hi, im experiencing the same issue too. Mind sharing how did you switch from "analog output" to "digital output" ? I assume you're on windows ?
If I'm understanding your question correctly, these are the key settings that either enable or disable Windows volume control. There is no "Analog" output to a DAC.

1666025471246.png

If you leave "Enable Audio Enhancements" checked, it will allow control of volume from Windows as well as the use of EQ (like Equalizer APO or similar tools).

Some music apps like Quobuz have a WASAPI Exclusive/Direct mode that will bypass the Windows audio pipeline and disable EQ as well as disable windows volume control, transferring it to the DAC (only the buttons on the DAC can affect volume).

Oct 17, 2022 at 5:57 PM Post #2,875 of 3,688
If I'm understanding your question correctly, these are the key settings that either enable or disable Windows volume control. There is no "Analog" output to a DAC.

1666025471246.png

If you leave "Enable Audio Enhancements" checked, it will allow control of volume from Windows as well as the use of EQ (like Equalizer APO or similar tools).

Some music apps like Quobuz have a WASAPI Exclusive/Direct mode that will bypass the Windows audio pipeline and disable EQ as well as disable windows volume control, transferring it to the DAC (only the buttons on the DAC can affect volume).
Yup im currently using the above settings as well.
I used to be able to control the master volume of the cayin ru6 in windows 10, up till a certain windows update/cayin driver version.

Since then, the master volume on windows 10 acts like a mute/unmute function for the cayin ru6. As a workaround ive been using Eartrumpet to control the volume. helloh3adfi seems to have solved the issue.

*Volume control on Foobar works fine tho.

Oct 17, 2022 at 7:16 PM Post #2,876 of 3,688
I’m loving so much RU6 with Fitear TG334, I can’t believe what I’m hearing.
I connected RU6 to N6ii Ti using UAPP😍

Oct 18, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #2,877 of 3,688
I'm using Linux systems. For some reason you can choose digital or analog.

And yeah you have to find some compatible USB cables for the Cayin. Some will be prone to electromagnetic waves, and others had latency issues.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2022 at 6:32 PM Post #2,878 of 3,688
I'm using Linux systems. For some reason you can choose digital or analog.

And yeah you have to find some compatible USB cables for the Cayin. Some will be prone to electromagnetic waves, and others had latency issues.
Agree, bought an Amazonbascis cable much less noise than the last one, I gues it was not properly shielded, but I still have keep the phone a bit far away which I guess you can't avoid.

Oct 19, 2022 at 8:12 AM Post #2,880 of 3,688
I believe you can but there will be double amping since it is not a true line out. You can use either the single ended or balanced but the advice is to use single ended and to keep the volume at max 70 (this was mentioned somewhere and could be arbitrary but I have tried it without any no issues).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back