Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Oct 2, 2022 at 5:10 PM Post #2,836 of 3,688
The S22 are one of the few (along with OnePlus and some Oppo) where the USB is actually 3.2. In other brands, they are implementations of the USB 2 protocol on the C connector. It should not be a power problem, since more power is delivered on USB3. I just received my S22 Ultra and I will try to compare it with my previous mobile and my DAP, which are the ones I used mainly with the RU6

Definitely keep me updated. I don't have any Samsung phones and definitely don't have the S22. In that post I was literally just speculating and trying to put ideas out there that might account for what he was encountering.

I had no idea that the usb c protocol implementation was different though my thought was less about the protocol and more about certain manufacturers using various means to limit voltage output to OTG usb devices by their phones.

Apple does this and I have heard that certain models from various Android manufacturers have employed this at various points. Basically, it was a shot in the dark, but seemed like a possibility. Either way, updates on how it goes with S22 would be appreciated.

Oct 2, 2022 at 5:32 PM Post #2,837 of 3,688
I used RU6 with my S20 Ultra without any problem. However, most of the time I used RU6 with my laptop or desktop, I have to say that it will be hard to press to find another DAC/AMP better than RU6 to drive IEMs.

I tried RS8 and RS2 during CanJam and RS8 is THE best DAPs I tried, much better than the new AK SP3k to my ears. For RS2, I only spent a few min and it is also pretty good.

I actually tried the RS8 at CanJam SoCal as well and was impressed. If I didn't already have two very nice and very capable DAPs and if I hadn't liked the DCA Expanse so much I might have ended up buying it and selling off my N8ii. I really like the N8ii though and the Expanse were just too good to say no to so DCA ended up with my money...

Are you planning on buying the RS8 or the RS2?

What IEMs make for your best pairing with the RU6? I really like the way it runs with basically any of mine, but I particularly like how it pairs with my Andro 2020s and my EJ07Ms. I'm also a big earbud fan and the RU6 is perfect with my Simphonio Dragon 3s too.

Oct 2, 2022 at 5:56 PM Post #2,838 of 3,688
Recently I had a weird incidence, while playing via my mobile, the loudness dropped suddenly and became kind of out of phase and echoey, after sometime I decided to unplug the RU6 form the mobile and hp and reconnect it and it became normal again, not sure what happened maybe a flaky capacitor or resistor acting up, now I am bit worried about its longevity, can be a one off but anyone else here faced similar incidence?

Oct 2, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #2,839 of 3,688
You should try RS2.
I think I found a sound signature with RU6 I like across multiple devices so going back to a DAP would be hard now. Can't see the advantage of having another place to maintain my audio files. Another thing I found with this was usb c cables make a huge difference. The one that came with it sounds good but I started using the cable that came with my Samsung T5 ssd. It is a thicker cable. The sound seems more dynamic..also I only use iems and there is enough power with RU6 I am barely go past 50 on vol

Having said that I heard lot of good things about hiby dap. I use their music app on the android phone with RU6

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #2,840 of 3,688
I actually tried the RS8 at CanJam SoCal as well and was impressed. If I didn't already have two very nice and very capable DAPs and if I hadn't liked the DCA Expanse so much I might have ended up buying it and selling off my N8ii. I really like the N8ii though and the Expanse were just too good to say no to so DCA ended up with my money...

Are you planning on buying the RS8 or the RS2?

What IEMs make for your best pairing with the RU6? I really like the way it runs with basically any of mine, but I particularly like how it pairs with my Andro 2020s and my EJ07Ms. I'm also a big earbud fan and the RU6 is perfect with my Simphonio Dragon 3s too.
I planned to buy both :). However, I will buy RS2 first since it fits my need right away. For RS8, I still need more time to justify the use (not the sound, it is the best) since I almost never use DAPs in my home and RS8 is too heavy to carry them outdoors.

For RU6, I have hybrid, DD, or planar IEMs all pairing pretty well with it. I will never use RU6 for my headphones though.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #2,841 of 3,688
For RU6, I have hybrid, DD, or planar IEMs all pairing pretty well with it. I will never use RU6 for my headphones though.
I am enjoying my RU6 on...
  1. PC > iFi USB Power > RU6
  2. iPad Pro > RU6
All my headphones and IEMs work well from the 4.4mm socket...
  • Focal Elegia
  • Audeze LCD-XC
  • Grado SR325is (modded to use 4.4mm balanced cable)
  • Meze Rai Solo
  • Shure SE535

Oct 2, 2022 at 7:04 PM Post #2,842 of 3,688
I planned to buy both :). However, I will buy RS2 first since it fits my need right away. For RS8, I still need more time to justify the use (not the sound, it is the best) since I almost never use DAPs in my home and RS8 is too heavy to carry them outdoors.

Hybrid DDs shine with RU6. My 64 audio Nio which is hybrid with MX module has great synergy I think it unleashes it full potential, with my k10s which are full BA the sound is great but I don’t feel the energy ..

Oct 2, 2022 at 7:18 PM Post #2,843 of 3,688
Hybrid DDs shine with RU6. My 64 audio Nio which is hybrid with MX module has great synergy I think it unleashes it full potential, with my k10s which are full BA the sound is great but I don’t feel the energy ..
I no longer have all BA IEMs (well, actually I do have one though it is no longer in use, maybe I should try it).

Oct 2, 2022 at 8:01 PM Post #2,844 of 3,688
Just did a quick test. Listening to Big Yellow Taxi (Tierney Sutton) on my Fiio M11Pro, using Grado SR325is (modified)

https://tidal.com/browse/track/36713951

Fiio USB-C > RU6 4.4mm out vs. the Fiio's 4.4mm balanced out

With the twin AK4497EQ DACs, arranged in a dual-mono set-up, and THX AAA amplification, the DAP sounds better to my ears...
more forward and precise, breathy vocals, and the drums/cymbals are more realistic.

Not a huge difference, but I could do a blind test and easily pick out the DAP.

Mind you, the DAP costs more than twice the price of the RU6.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2022 at 8:53 AM Post #2,845 of 3,688
Is there like a warm up time for RU6. Yesterday I was tip swapping and when I turned on RU6 it sounded so flat. I thought the tip was wrong. But I played like 3 songs and then sound was dynamic. I then replayed the first song again the difference was huge, there was enough body , soundstage and dynamics with same tip

So that makes me think unlike chip based DACs , this needs some warm up time like tubes.. thoughts?

Oct 4, 2022 at 7:23 AM Post #2,846 of 3,688
Just did a quick test. Listening to Big Yellow Taxi (Tierney Sutton) on my Fiio M11Pro, using Grado SR325is (modified)

https://tidal.com/browse/track/36713951

Fiio USB-C > RU6 4.4mm out vs. the Fiio's 4.4mm balanced out

With the twin AK4497EQ DACs, arranged in a dual-mono set-up, and THX AAA amplification, the DAP sounds better to my ears...
more forward and precise, breathy vocals, and the drums/cymbals are more realistic.

Not a huge difference, but I could do a blind test and easily pick out the DAP.

Mind you, the DAP costs more than twice the price of the RU6.
I compare ru6 to a dap that cost 14x.
I can identify the sound, quite easily when RU6 is on NOS mode, but, I can not say what I like more than the other.
It depending on music tracks.
Ru6 has a charming vocal!
Weakness at sharpness in comparision against +3k dap is there but isn't deal breaker.
I supose that if a sale man at a shop told me: These are all +3k daps, lets close the eyes and listen to each, then take one -> If I select one and pay 3k for it, when I open my eyes I may see it: Ru6.
May be Ru6 and may not.

Oct 4, 2022 at 7:31 AM Post #2,847 of 3,688
Is there like a warm up time for RU6. Yesterday I was tip swapping and when I turned on RU6 it sounded so flat. I thought the tip was wrong. But I played like 3 songs and then sound was dynamic. I then replayed the first song again the difference was huge, there was enough body , soundstage and dynamics with same tip

So that makes me think unlike chip based DACs , this needs some warm up time like tubes.. thoughts?
Just one time I heard volume slightly swing between 2 chanels, after I unpack ru6 few hours.
I am not sure but thinking you plug 3.5 or 2.5 jack did not perfectly fit and cause mono or as like mono connection.
Also, you posibly switched OS<-> NOS mode

Oct 4, 2022 at 7:35 AM Post #2,848 of 3,688
Sound is not Mono ,just doesn’t have the body. I am in NOS mode only. Jack is fitted correctly. This is a repeatable process atleast for me. Every day when I turn on RU6 it needs atleast 2 songs to gain full body..

Oct 4, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #2,849 of 3,688

I never found that a warm up on my RU6 was needed (although large R2R DACs are well known for this requirement).

I found another anomaly: with the RU6 heating up. After much testing I believe that the RU6 heats up much more than normal when I do a lot of switching between headphones, and between 3.5mm and 4.4mm sockets. No one offered any explanation. I now unplug the USB-C (i.e. reboot the RU6) between headphone (and cabling) swaps. Normally my RU6 just runs warm.

Listening now on 4.4mm with my Focal Elegias with fenestrated sheepskin pads from Dekoni and a “silver” cable from Meze. Delightful :)

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #2,850 of 3,688

In my experience, yes. The RU6 sounds flat for the first couple of songs, in my system. After it gets slightly warm to the touch, the sound seems to breathe more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back