Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Aug 14, 2023 at 3:31 AM Post #5,341 of 5,538
Hi everyone! Can anyone help me? My Cayin n8 II was working absolutely fine but one day it didn’t turn on. It has been put on charge overnight, i tried pressing and holding all possible button combinations but nothing.. Has anyone come across the same problem??
When you turn on the player for charging, does the icon of the battery being charged appear?
Сейчас, когда включаете плеер на зарядку, появляется значок заряжаемого (заряженного) аккумулятора?

Aug 14, 2023 at 7:53 AM Post #5,343 of 5,538
No, nothing appears. The screen remains pitch black.. Is there anything that could happen to charging port? It didn’t fall, drown or anything like that
Well it could be that the charging pod is defect and the battery completely empty now, however I would assume it's something else and only Service at Cayin can resolve it

Aug 14, 2023 at 8:12 AM Post #5,344 of 5,538
No, nothing appears. The screen remains pitch black.. Is there anything that could happen to charging port? It didn’t fall, drown or anything like that
On your own, you can only try to connect to other chargers, preferably with an output voltage of 5 volts. And it remains to try the standard way to force the system to start, that is, with the charger connected press and hold the power button and the button to go to the next track (up to 20-30 seconds).
Своими силами можно попробовать только подключить к другим зарядным устройствам, желательно с выходным напряжением 5 Вольт. И останется попробовать стандартный способ принудительного запуска системы, то есть при подключенном зарядном устройстве нажать и удерживать кнопку включения питания и кнопку перехода к следующему треку (до 20-30 секунд).

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2023 at 5:27 AM Post #5,346 of 5,538
Hi folks; I could do with some help on two points.
I have tried searching here and have found the user guide online but still struggling.

All I want to do at present is load CDs to the internal storage and then efficiently look for them and play them.
I have:
ripped CDs in windows media player
use 'find album info' to find and add media info, which then shows artist, title, tracks
connect N8ii to laptop by cable
copy the file to N8ii music folder.
scan for music on the N8ii
I can then find the CD using file manager, music; and if I gave the file a meaningful name I can find it and play it.
But when I look it up in file manager I don't get good data; typically I get an icon for each track but no track name, just the artist name against each track.
If I go Cayin, internal storage, music I can see the CDs but clicking on an artist shows 'unknown artist ) 01 track 1.wav' etc
If I go Cayin and look for Title or Artist or Genre I get almost nothing, and I'd like to be able to use this feature.
I need an idiots guide how to load CDs.

Next problem;
Sometimes I get to a CD and play it, but it then shuffles and perhaps goes to a different CD. I don't know how to turn this shuffle off. I see Shuffle All at the top of the screen.
I think this is when I go Cayin, internal storage and select a CD to play it. I guess I've done something silly and it remembers this; how can I turn it off?

Any help appreciated, sorry to be a bit of a pain; but the sound quality in triode mode is really good.

Aug 18, 2023 at 5:28 AM Post #5,347 of 5,538
Does someone use Roon ARC with his Cayin?

Aug 21, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #5,348 of 5,538
Dear N8ii users, I ned your advice : At CanJam UK, I discovered the 30th Aniversary Cayin N30LE (and the "bundle" N30LE Amber pearl). My initial plan was to purchase the Lotoo Mjölnir, but now I am very tempted by this Cayin N30LE. But... since the Demo version of the N30LE was not working properly, I could not audition it :frowning2:

So, since no one I believe has auditioned seriously a final version of this Uber Cayin, I think that may be one possibility is to consider that it is a "super N8ii", and therefore I will be interested to hear from you how good is the N8ii compared to the comppetition like A&K SP3000 and iBasso 320 MAx which are also on my radar.

I have an "old" A&KSP1000, and so far I did not find the SP3000 enough better to justify the upgrade. So, based on the N8ii experience, can we extrapole how good will be the N30LE compared to the other big guys, including the BIG 2.5Kg Lotoo Mjôlnir ?

thanks in advance for your estimated advices... including the experience with CAYIN as a company?

PS: I also wonder if this description of the modification made to the N30LE "amber pearl" version and to the UM Amber pearl IEM to optimize the Synergy between the DAP and the IEM is a real ingenior thing or... just marketing buls__it ?

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2023-08-21 à 21.21.15.png
    Capture d’écran 2023-08-21 à 21.21.15.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • Capture d’écran 2023-08-21 à 21.20.55.png
    Capture d’écran 2023-08-21 à 21.20.55.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 21, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #5,349 of 5,538
Aug 21, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #5,350 of 5,538
Hi folks; I could do with some help on two points.
I have tried searching here and have found the user guide online but still struggling.

All I want to do at present is load CDs to the internal storage and then efficiently look for them and play them.
I have:
ripped CDs in windows media player
use 'find album info' to find and add media info, which then shows artist, title, tracks
connect N8ii to laptop by cable
copy the file to N8ii music folder.
scan for music on the N8ii
I can then find the CD using file manager, music; and if I gave the file a meaningful name I can find it and play it.
But when I look it up in file manager I don't get good data; typically I get an icon for each track but no track name, just the artist name against each track.
If I go Cayin, internal storage, music I can see the CDs but clicking on an artist shows 'unknown artist ) 01 track 1.wav' etc
If I go Cayin and look for Title or Artist or Genre I get almost nothing, and I'd like to be able to use this feature.
I need an idiots guide how to load CDs.

Next problem;
Sometimes I get to a CD and play it, but it then shuffles and perhaps goes to a different CD. I don't know how to turn this shuffle off. I see Shuffle All at the top of the screen.
I think this is when I go Cayin, internal storage and select a CD to play it. I guess I've done something silly and it remembers this; how can I turn it off?

Any help appreciated, sorry to be a bit of a pain; but the sound quality in triode mode is really good.
I would not use the N8ii internal storage for music
Just buy a very good microSD card 1tb
Use the cartridge to load it in your computer
Rip your CDs with Mediaplayer with lossless flac option, go to the folder where these CDs are copy all to the MicroSD. When you are done put the SD card in your N8ii microSD slot dark side facing up. Turn on N8ii load the cayin app, top left click the gear ⚙️, select scan for music files, then the folder bottom left click scan all
Wait for it to finish the scan and cataloging, you may need to touch the screen to keep it going till end or else it may go to sleep

Then all you music will appear and ready to be selected to play

Aug 21, 2023 at 4:01 PM Post #5,351 of 5,538
Dear N8ii users, I ned your advice : At CanJam UK, I discovered the 30th Aniversary Cayin N30LE (and the "bundle" N30LE Amber pearl). My initial plan was to purchase the Lotoo Mjölnir, but now I am very tempted by this Cayin N30LE. But... since the Demo version of the N30LE was not working properly, I could not audition it :frowning2:

So, since no one I believe has auditioned seriously a final version of this Uber Cayin, I think that may be one possibility is to consider that it is a "super N8ii", and therefore I will be interested to hear from you how good is the N8ii compared to the comppetition like A&K SP3000 and iBasso 320 MAx which are also on my radar.

I have an "old" A&KSP1000, and so far I did not find the SP3000 enough better to justify the upgrade. So, based on the N8ii experience, can we extrapole how good will be the N30LE compared to the other big guys, including the BIG 2.5Kg Lotoo Mjôlnir ?

thanks in advance for your estimated advices... including the experience with CAYIN as a company?

PS: I also wonder if this description of the modification made to the N30LE "amber pearl" version and to the UM Amber pearl IEM to optimize the Synergy between the DAP and the IEM is a real ingenior thing or... just marketing buls__it ?
I would say that N8ii sound wise is better than SP3K - while it doesn’t have that uber black background and SP3K is more defined in its transients, N8ii has much better separation and imaging, more life-like timbre (synergy with your equipment jumps in) and even more power. Plus different mods yocan combine (A/AB, tubes, P/P+).

DX320 Max Ti line out is inferior to N8ii as it strangely coloured, but for all the rest iBasso wins hands down - much more dynamics, power, deeper and wider stage, transient dynamics and etc.

Aug 21, 2023 at 7:39 PM Post #5,353 of 5,538
Does someone use Roon ARC with his Cayin?
I could not get Arc to work with my N8ii. Could not login. Just Roon works on the N8ii. The sound is amazing on the N8ii even with the Roon limitations. can you get it to work? I am wondering whether I need to reconfigure my router since it’s suppose to work outside of home right?
IMG_4308.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2023 at 7:42 PM Post #5,354 of 5,538
Hi All,

I very recently purchased a new N8ii, and I listen to Tidal exclusively when I'm streaming.

Oddly, the N8ii will not play all songs in Tidal (while every other device I own can), and I cannot for the life of me figure out why. When I first received the DAP, it played all songs just fine, but a couple of days in, and when selecting Beethoven's 5 Secrets (large file size) it just beach-balled in an endless loop. I now have this behavior on many more songs (about 40%). I have tried clearing cache, per Tidal, I've re-installed the app, I've even wiped the DAP and did a refresh install per Andy K.'s instructions in this thread. I am also up to date on firmware, and my wireless lan is fiber optic, and runs great. None of it helps.

Further, the HiBy app that comes with the DAP, will play the very same songs when I channel Tidal through the HyBy app. Unfortunately, that app is not without issue either. Last night it was shocked when the DAP dropped the music in the middle of a song, and was going dark, and coming back over and over. Of course, I shut the app off.

Anyone with similar experiences, or insights, I would appreciate any thoughts, before I demand an exchange or refund. I want to love this DAP, but I cannot abide issues on a unit that is only a week old. I have also seen some musings on router pairing, but I'm not familiar if that applies to a device like this.

Thanks,

Bill

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back