Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Mar 26, 2022 at 10:11 PM Post #2,281 of 5,571
No problem for cooling in my car, with air con vents blowing straight to the N8ii.
20220327_085743.jpg

Mar 26, 2022 at 11:36 PM Post #2,282 of 5,571
Made a test, starting both the N8ii and Sony Wm1zM2 at the same time.
The N8ii boot very quickly. the Sony took 31 seconds more to be able to listen to music. (I loaded nothing on the Sony but apple Music and Tidal, nothing else that could slow down.)
Just saying!

Mar 27, 2022 at 3:06 AM Post #2,283 of 5,571
All technology licensing is subject to NDA, we cannot disclose anything without consent of the license holding party.
I was looking for discussion of Roon certification in this thread and I saw that the question was asked if Cayin are thinking of adding it, with the answer basically being "can't tell you yes or no".

I just wanted to point out that AK did announce they were working on Roon certification. (And then took two years to make it work...😊) So I'm just going to assume that it's not going to happen with this player. Prove me wrong! :)

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2022 at 4:40 AM Post #2,284 of 5,571
It works great!

I am pairing my N8ii > Ampsandsound Rockwell > Hifiman Susvara. This sounds nearly as good as my normal DAC. Using a 3.5mm to RCA cable. This should be a sufficient source to demo any tube amp.

Also A/B tested the following:

Bluesound Node 2i > Chord Hugo M Scaler > Chord Hugo TT2 > Ampsandsound Rockwell > Hifiman HE1000v2

N8ii > Cayin C9 > Hifiman HE1000v2

The N8ii + C9 was about 85-90% of the quality of my full desktop tube amp system. I was actually quite amazed at the resolution delivered by the N8ii.

the N8ii + C9 could not sufficiently drive the Susvara. But it can drive almost anything else to a very high quality level.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2022 at 4:48 AM Post #2,285 of 5,571
Made a test, starting both the N8ii and Sony Wm1zM2 at the same time.
The N8ii boot very quickly. the Sony took 31 seconds more to be able to listen to music. (I loaded nothing on the Sony but apple Music and Tidal, nothing else that could slow down.)
Just saying!

Both N8ii and WM1ZM2 had a microSD card with the same amount of data?

Mar 27, 2022 at 8:36 AM Post #2,287 of 5,571
Both N8ii and WM1ZM2 had a microSD card with the same amount of data?
same cards and same amount of songs, I synchronize the library :)
But the difference of SoC speaks for itself. Just scanning the songs takes way longer on the sony. Starting an app is faster with n8ii

Mar 27, 2022 at 8:55 AM Post #2,288 of 5,571
same cards and same amount of songs, I synchronize the library :)
But the difference of SoC speaks for itself. Just scanning the songs takes way longer on the sony. Starting an app is faster with n8ii
I don't think SoC speed is in question. N8ii is going to smoke any other Android DAP in that department. What I'm waiting for is sound comparisons. @Damz87 what's the ETA?

Mar 27, 2022 at 9:06 AM Post #2,289 of 5,571
I don't think SoC speed is in question. N8ii is going to smoke any other Android DAP in that department. What I'm waiting for is sound comparisons. @Damz87 what's the ETA?
Still a few weeks off for stock in AU :frowning2: but yeah, I'm with you, sound is all that matters in a DAP for me. Obviously faster is better, but I can deal with a slightly slower performance if the sound quality is there.

Mar 27, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #2,292 of 5,571
Still a few weeks off for stock in AU :frowning2: but yeah, I'm with you, sound is all that matters in a DAP for me. Obviously faster is better, but I can deal with a slightly slower performance if the sound quality is there.

I could be wrong but I don’t think android apps on the Sony bypass the SRC at least from what I’m gathering in the M2 thread, already a 🚩🌚

Loving the N8ii, as a one dap user it is perfect. 👏🏽

Mar 27, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #2,293 of 5,571
It works great!

I am pairing my N8ii > Ampsandsound Rockwell > Hifiman Susvara. This sounds nearly as good as my normal DAC. Using a 3.5mm to RCA cable. This should be a sufficient source to demo any tube amp.

Also A/B tested the following:

Bluesound Node 2i > Chord Hugo M Scaler > Chord Hugo TT2 > Ampsandsound Rockwell > Hifiman HE1000v2

N8ii > Cayin C9 > Hifiman HE1000v2

The N8ii + C9 was about 85-90% of the quality of my full desktop tube amp system. I was actually quite amazed at the resolution delivered by the N8ii.

the N8ii + C9 could not sufficiently drive the Susvara. But it can drive almost anything else to a very high quality level.
I am glad it is working out for you.

Sufficient source ? IME/IMO, the N8ii is more than an excellent source, and even that can’t express enough of my joys for owning the N8ii. But then, it is subjective :wink:

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #2,295 of 5,571
Is there a setting so the player doesn't display the volume setting screen every time I adjust the volume?
Very annoying.
Screen off? Eyes closed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back