Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Feb 24, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #482 of 5,543
At least cheaper than the new Sony golden brick:sweat_smile:

Will give it a listen for sure at canjam

Feb 24, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #488 of 5,543
Need to switch camp and buy from Cayin instead of Sony.

Feb 24, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #492 of 5,543
This is called placebo.

You cannot hear down to 5hz, you are lucky if you can hear 20hz.

Even if the player would be able to go down to 5hz, your headphones most likely are not, so you still wouldn't be able to hear.
If, and that's a big if, both the player and the headphones can reproduce 5hz, there's virtually no music that goes down below 20hz.
If, and that's a HUGE if, the player and the headphones are able, you have some exotic, synthetic music that goes to 5hz, your ears can't hear that anyway, and, more importantly, 5hz is dangerous for your health.

Let it go :)
I would like to add that the fundamental notes of the instrument may stop at say 20hz but it will have odd and even harmonics that are lower than that like 10hz, 5hz ... though at lower and lower volumes, these add character to the sound so you can sense the difference between two different players playing the same instrument and also same instrument but different maker like Stradivarius versus Guadagnini Violins because they will generate different volume levels of these harmonics. So even if you don't directly hear very low fundamentals you could hear their effects on the sounds you can hear ... some call it air or the ability to discern instrument make etc ... it is a good thing when you know your device can reproduce these.

Feb 24, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #493 of 5,543
I would like to add that the fundamental notes of the instrument may stop at say 20hz but it will have odd and even harmonics that are lower than that like 10hz, 5hz ... though at lower and lower volumes, these add character to the sound so you can sense the difference between two different players playing the same instrument and also same instrument but different maker like Stradivarius versus Guadagnini Violins because they will generate different volume levels of these harmonics. So even if you don't directly hear very low fundamentals you could hear their effects on the sounds you can hear ... some call it air or the ability to discern instrument make etc ... it is a good thing when you know your device can reproduce these.
Nah, let me just repeat, Sub harmonic and UltraSonic are Harmful to human being.

Not to mention that Low pass filters and digital filters are already not accounting anything into sub harmonic and ultrasonic ranges. Don’t be misguided by the so called High-resolutions marketing.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #494 of 5,543
That translates to about 3050 euros.. Unless there is lot of taxes and duty on imports
There will be... it's now almost un-escapable...

Feb 24, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #495 of 5,543
The violin example is not very well chosen as the its lowest note is just below 200hz, a far cry from 20hz. 5hz is 40 times lower than its lowest note.
Anyway, like I said, even if you have music that has anything at 20hz, whatever harmonics were there would have been lost during recording.
You need:
- music that has anything that low
- recording equipment capable of capturing those frequencies - take your favourite songs and run a spectrum analyser on them, you'll be surprised
- mastering that preserves those frequencies (they are usually removed to protect your hearing and speakers)
- player and amplifier (by the way, the tubes don't even go as low as 20hz, usually)
- speakers/headphones capable of going below 20hz
- amazing, non-human hearing

It is extremely unlikely to check all those boxes.
5Hz is one of those audiofools' nonsense.
It looks like this player is not for you, I suggest you move on.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back