Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Mar 10, 2022 at 9:13 AM Post #1,156 of 5,547
Here for the media remote button. Put in an order for the N8ii through the German Cayin.com, March 14th it reads for the lieferzeit (dispatch/deliverydate). Now im just trying hard not to buy a Liric
I posted this photo to Meze Elite thread yesterday, a snap shot before I left my computer desk heading for lunch. For your information, the N8ii handles the Elite suprisingly well on handling as well as synergy. If you are planning to pair Liric with N8ii, you don't have to worry about performance, it'll work out fine.

Now you say you are going to buy a Liric, aren't you? :wink:

11714973.jpg

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 10, 2022 at 9:16 AM Post #1,157 of 5,547
Thanks, but are you able to disclose if the projects involving R2R DAC will be a flagship DAP model or with tubes?

I can't discuss future product in detail, but I can tel you that N8, N3Pro and N8ii are the only DAPs with tubes in our profile. We don't have any other DAP using vacuum tubes in current roadmap.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 10, 2022 at 9:22 AM Post #1,158 of 5,547
I posted this photo to Meze Elite thread yesterday, a snap shot before I left my computer desk heading for lunch. For your information, the N8ii handles the Elite suprisingly well on handling as well as synergy. If you are planning to pair Liric with N8ii, you don't have to worry about performance, it'll work out fine.

11714973.jpg

Ha ha f-ing ha!
I should wait for the Drop Closed Aeons to land and see how well those pair with the Nateii
Still, that IS a lovely setup.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2022 at 9:26 AM Post #1,159 of 5,547

11714973.jpg
Nice! At least some beef to drive full-size :)

Mar 10, 2022 at 9:42 AM Post #1,164 of 5,547
Not to add more oil to the fire but the topic of top/bottom headphone jack location comes up in different DAP threads, and one of the solutions that work is right-angled headphone plug adapter. You can find different pigtail and non-pigtail 3.5mm to 3.5mm on ebay/amazon and the same for 2.5mm to 4.4mm. For 4.4mm to 4.4mm one of the solutions is to use iFi iEMatch 4.4mm. This way the right angled part of the plug sits at the bottom of your pocket with volume wheel of the DAP facing up and the female part of the adapter facing up as well for your IEMs/headphones.

1646922767414.png

1646922884113.png
1646922999425.png

Mar 10, 2022 at 9:42 AM Post #1,165 of 5,547
I can't discuss future product in detail, but I can tel you that N8, N3Pro and N8ii are the only DAPs with tubes in our profile. We don't have any other DAP using vacuum tubes in current roadmap.

Thanks! Now i'm just waiting for mine to reach Malaysia soon :relieved:

Mar 10, 2022 at 9:52 AM Post #1,167 of 5,547
I don’t know how, but I rarely touch the volume wheels, and I prefer it to stay away, in a very secluded and isolated off and away from accidentally touching and rolling while in my pocket or bag. I find myself touching the side buttons more. Most of the time when I need something, I also need to take the player out to see the screen and browse around.

So, I do agree that when Cayin claimed that most of the user prefer to hold the unit in their hand (when they need something) and I think that is very true!

I also very much agree about tube amp design differences between desktop vs portable player with NFB or Non NFB

IMO, Cayin did survey and execute the product very well, and much more thought out than even Sony or AK

Mar 10, 2022 at 10:22 AM Post #1,169 of 5,547
Curious about the volume knob + POs layout discussion, I did a very quick round of research on how other companies are designing their dap. The results are presented below. Hyperlinks are added to the names of the dap if you want to check for yourself.

For the major latest releases, there are three kinds of PO+volume control layouts in the market:

1. Volume knob/control + POs on the same side of the machine. By default, they are both on the top of the DAP.
2. Volume knob/control is on the side of the dap. In this case, I have seen POs on either the top or bottom of the daps.

3. Volume knob/control and POs are on the opposite sides of the dap.
I find the overall discussion fascinating because @justanut was talking about the joint positioning of POs and volume knob in this post, and Andy replied by only talking about the position of the POs. These are two completely different questions lol.

Now that a lot of users will be receiving the dap real soon, I guess they can assess whether the current design is feasible by themselves.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #1,170 of 5,547
I was referring to the Solid State vs Vacuum tube in timber selection circuit of N8. When you use 4.4mm output, you have bypassed the timbre selectin circuit completely, and the signal path become LPF > Buffer > BAL/SE selector > Line Dirver > Phone Amplifier.

1646902668839.png
Thank you. I bet that is why a number of N8 owners prefer the 4.4 mm SS output over the 3.5 after they get used to the different sound signatures.

Andy, is that why I did not hear a significant difference between the N8 ii and N8 BB using the 4.4 mm SS outputs? Are the differences really more with the tube engaged ( other then the excellent user interface!). Tks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back