Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Feb 25, 2022 at 1:24 PM Post #616 of 5,547
To me it does have to. I have an A&K SP2000, which works really, really well as a Roon endpoint.
I do not want to be stuck having to connect to another device to use the N8ii as a USB DAC. That is pretty standard functionality.

I am after a confirmation of whether Cayin will work with Roon to get their device to be compatible with Roon or not.
It does work without the driver although I felt, the driver improved the sound for me.

Feb 25, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #617 of 5,547
It does work without the driver although I felt, the driver improved the sound for me.
I think the above doesn't really relate at all to the post you quoted?

Feb 25, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #618 of 5,547
I think the above doesn't really relate at all to the post you quoted?
Not directly, you're right. I was referring to an existing driver that should in any case make it work with Roon but maybe I'm wrong and maybe I misunderstood you. If that's the case, apologies. 🙏 Just wanted to help. I guess Andy can clear that up.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #619 of 5,547
No, it doesn't. I am not talking about being able to simply run Roon.
I am talking about being Roon Tested or Roon Ready.

See Roon's page on Astell&Kern):
https://roonlabs.com/partners/astellkern

P.S As obvious from the list of Partners of Roon's, Cayin is not even on the list as of today.
I sure hope this will change before or shortly after release as the N8ii sure ticks a lot of boxes.
Then stick to whats working.

Feb 25, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #620 of 5,547
Then stick to whats working.
Which I very much intend to do.

I hope asking if the n8ii will work with Roon isn't a problem?

Feb 25, 2022 at 1:43 PM Post #622 of 5,547
No, it doesn't. I am not talking about being able to simply run Roon.
I am talking about being Roon Tested or Roon Ready.

See Roon's page on Astell&Kern):
https://roonlabs.com/partners/astellkern

P.S As obvious from the list of Partners of Roon's, Cayin is not even on the list as of today.
I sure hope this will change before or shortly after release as the N8ii sure ticks a lot of boxes.
I love Roon and used it since launch. But the terms Roon Tested and Roon Ready just seemed to me marketing spiel.

Feb 25, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #623 of 5,547
Which I very much intend to do.

I hope asking if the n8ii will work with Roon isn't a problem?
Yeah, no roon ready/soup for you either! Lol. Joking aside. Anyways none of Cayin past products was ever roon ready or certified by roon labs so i doubt n8ii will. It might run roon fine but will not be roon ready or certified by roon labs. It's just like the hi-res sticker on most electronics, just for show only

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #624 of 5,547
Well this was also the case with my sp2k until Astell&Kern worked with Roon to certify it.

Hopefully this is being silently worked on already.

Feb 25, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #625 of 5,547
I love Roon and used it since launch. But the terms Roon Tested and Roon Ready just seemed to me marketing spiel.
It's likely a list of "partners" who have given them money to put a badge on their device. Like MQA and Dolphin safe tuna.

Feb 25, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #627 of 5,547
Exactly. "Roon Certified" is about as useful as having a "High-Res Audio" sticker on a DAP....
"Roon Ready" means that the device responds to Roon's native RAAT network protocol, which is the most feature-complete and performance-preserving way of integrating with Roon. "Roon Tested" means a less bespoke integration, such as via generic AirPlay, Chromecast or wired via USB. It's all well documented, no need for guessing or conspiracy theories.

Feb 25, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #628 of 5,547
"Roon Ready" means that the device responds to Roon's native RAAT network protocol, which is the most feature-complete and performance-preserving way of integrating with Roon. "Roon Tested" means a less bespoke integration, such as via generic AirPlay, Chromecast or wired via USB. It's all well documented, no need for guessing or conspiracy theories.
No conspiracy theories; merely accusations of marketing drivel.

As I say, Gerald, no-one's a bigger and more loyal fan of Roon than yours truly. :thumbsup:

Feb 25, 2022 at 2:36 PM Post #629 of 5,547
It's likely a list of "partners" who have given them money to put a badge on their device. Like MQA and Dolphin safe tuna.
Exactly. I am guessing that Roon have established an elaborate ecosystem that works with a paywall for manufacturers that want the certification. I can see why some will not pay the royalties. That being said, I have lifetime subscription of Roon and use it a lot for desktop applications. None of the gear I use is Room certified but all gear works just fine.

Feb 25, 2022 at 2:39 PM Post #630 of 5,547
To me it does have to. I have an A&K SP2000, which works really, really well as a Roon endpoint.
I do not want to be stuck having to connect to another device to use the N8ii as a USB DAC. That is pretty standard functionality.

I am after a confirmation of whether Cayin will work with Roon to get their device to be compatible with Roon or not.
to the best of my knowledge, the A&K DAPs (https://roonlabs.com/partners/astellkern) are the only Roon Ready portables - and it took them forever to get there. Every other DAP that runs Android can of course install the Roon app and play music to the local DAP system output, but it's sound quality will be hampered by Android's limitations. Not so with (only) the A&Ks, which is really sweet IMHO. I'd love to be proven wrong though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back