Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Sep 15, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #4,756 of 5,547
In fact, I had been reading the iBasso DX320 roller coaster story (modules and firmware) here, and recently the Astell & Kern SP3000 pre-release thread. With the SP3000, one of the big points is that it‘s a closed Android, allowing us to install only the streaming services‘ apps - none of UAPP and Neutron, none of any general utilities.

My general line of thought is that (1) sound is a matter of personal preferences, and that (2) IT-related aspects like the OS or the SoC are more on the objective side.

That’s a big disjappointmenting point. I’d rather they had their own OS then close android to only streaming apps.
Oh well just another reason to not buy A&K

Sep 20, 2022 at 10:39 PM Post #4,757 of 5,547
Trying Roon ARC. Streaming dsd music from my Roon core. I’m getting the yellow indicator…😮
C092BF8B-7E12-4997-9C1E-770FECDD9DAA.jpeg

Sep 21, 2022 at 5:08 AM Post #4,758 of 5,547
Sep 21, 2022 at 5:27 AM Post #4,759 of 5,547
Folks, I encountered a problem in conjunction with the UAPP and Qobuz Android Apps. I posted it on
https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...qobuz-issues-thread/page/185/#comment-1214467

You might want to read up over there, check whether you see the same faulty behavior on your N8ii's, and maybe you know of a practical remedy.

I'll report back here when I get a solution to the problem.
Strange .. I do not have this behaviour, and have not found a way to enforce it either ...

Sep 21, 2022 at 5:53 AM Post #4,760 of 5,547
Strange .. I do not have this behaviour, and have not found a way to enforce it either ...
Indeed strange.

Let me ask you:
  • How do you close an app, in particular Qobuz? I‘d love to learn of different ways.
  • Do you see what I call the re-appearance of the Qobuz App? I.e. the notification that shows up approx. one minute after closing it (my way), cf. screenshots 2 and 3 in my AS post.
I think the Qobuz developers created this re-appearance in order to be able to quickly return to it and play again after closing. At least that‘s what‘s happening when I tap its notification as in screenshot 3.

My further questions to you:
  • Is there any Setting to prevent the Qobuz re-appearance? I didn‘t find any way to do that.
  • I might have gotten some Setting for or within UAPP wrong, although I didn’t change anything knowingly since long. Could you think of something in particular?
Since you said ”… have not found a way to enforce it …“, please excuse me for repeating my reproducible procedure in short. I am so very sorry for my post on AS to have gotten so long.
  1. Boot the N8ii
  2. Start Qobuz, play for a little while and stop playing, then close Qobuz (which way?)
  3. Wait until the Qobuz re-appears, i.e. notification bar and grey dot on icon (approx. 1 minute)
  4. Start UAPP and try to play anything from local storage (internal or SD, doesn‘t matter
  5. UAPP fails to play immediately, no error message displayed
When you I omit step 3, i.e. do step 4 immediately after steps 2, then UAPP plays successfully.

Again, please don‘t take any offense as I repeated my steps here. Regard that more as an exercise of mine to write a concise bug report … :wink:

I‘d be happy to read more from your side.

EDIT: All Apps updated to Google Play as of this morning. And Cayin firmware 1.5.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2022 at 6:02 AM Post #4,761 of 5,547
  1. Boot the N8ii
  2. Start Qobuz, play for a little while and stop playing, then close Qobuz (which way?)
  3. Wait until the Qobuz re-appears, i.e. notification bar and grey dot on icon (approx. 1 minute)
  4. Start UAPP and try to play anything from local storage (internal or SD, doesn‘t matter
  5. UAPP fails to play immediately, no error message displayed

This is where my experience deviates from yours. For step 3 the difference is that Qobuz simply does not reappear. Not after 1 minute, not after 30 .. (My firmware is 1.5EN)

(In my case closing Qobuz in different ways makes no difference. Using longpress home + cross, longpress home + swipe left etc, no difference. Once Qobus is closed it remains closed.)

Have you tried going to Qobuz app settings and tried clearing data/cache before completely deleting and reinstalling Qobuz?

Sep 21, 2022 at 7:03 AM Post #4,762 of 5,547
This is where my experience deviates from yours. For step 3 the difference is that Qobuz simply does not reappear. Not after 1 minute, not after 30 .. (My firmware is 1.5EN)

(In my case closing Qobuz in different ways makes no difference. Using longpress home + cross, longpress home + swipe left etc, no difference. Once Qobus is closed it remains closed.)

Have you tried going to Qobuz app settings and tried clearing data/cache before completely deleting and reinstalling Qobuz?
Thank you! That‘s what I did while you composed that post, simply completely uninstall and reinstall the Qobuz App. Luckily, re-doing it’s settings is simple; I would hate to have to do that for UAPP or Neutron.

But, oh nooo, that doesn‘t solve my problem. I keep seeing that obnoxious re-appearance of the Qobuz App, followed by the UAPP failure.

Actually, I had initially entertained a hope that reinstalling might have helped, because that re-appearance didn‘t happen when I exited Qobuz after I did the Qobuz settings. It took playing for a little while to make it happen.

I‘m lost, in particular because you don‘t get that re-appearance. I do hope David Craff and his developers will come up with something.

Sep 21, 2022 at 7:33 AM Post #4,763 of 5,547
Next observation: Turning Flight Mode ON right after exiting the Qobuz App prevents its re-appearing, whereupon the described UAPP failure does not occur.

With Flight Mode on, I can play imported music in Qobuz, close it, and don‘t get the re-appearance, waiting many minutes.

Next, I turn Flight Mode off and connect to WiFi. Wait one minute - and boom, Qobuz re-appears as that notification. UAPP fails again …

How about you, @WDitters?

Sep 21, 2022 at 8:21 AM Post #4,764 of 5,547
Next observation: Turning Flight Mode ON right after exiting the Qobuz App prevents its re-appearing, whereupon the described UAPP failure does not occur.

With Flight Mode on, I can play imported music in Qobuz, close it, and don‘t get the re-appearance, waiting many minutes.

Next, I turn Flight Mode off and connect to WiFi. Wait one minute - and boom, Qobuz re-appears as that notification. UAPP fails again …

How about you, @WDitters?

Same results. Qobus does not re-appear. Additional remark: I can keep Qobuz and UAPP both active and swap between the two of them regardless of which source UAPP is using (Streaming or Local Library) ... Once either app becomes the one sitting in the background, it flawlessly gives up control to the app in the foreground. It simbly works as expected.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2022 at 8:31 AM Post #4,765 of 5,547
Same results. Qobus does not re-appear. Additional remark: I can keep Qobuz and UAPP both active and swap between the two of them regardless of which source UAPP is using (Streaming or Local Library) ... Once either app becomes the one sitting in the background, it flawlessly gives up control to the app in the foreground. It simbly works as expected.
Uhhh, it seems a factory reset of my N8ii is waiting in the wings … what a pain. But I guess I’d wait for a response by Qobuz on Audiophile Style before I go ahead.

Sep 21, 2022 at 8:41 AM Post #4,766 of 5,547
There is a new post by a user of Qobuz Android on AS, stating that the Qobuz mini-player has become persistent since some time, and that he can‘t get rid of it other than by rebooting. I think his word ”mini-player“ refers to that big notification bar I see, as shown in my screenshot 3 on AS.

So, we are collecting evidence in either direction.

This makes me wait before doing a factory reset …

Sep 21, 2022 at 9:06 AM Post #4,767 of 5,547
There is a new post by a user of Qobuz Android on AS, stating that the Qobuz mini-player has become persistent since some time, and that he can‘t get rid of it other than by rebooting. I think his word ”mini-player“ refers to that big notification bar I see, as shown in my screenshot 3 on AS.

So, we are collecting evidence in either direction.

This makes me wait before doing a factory reset …
My Qobuz mini player in the notifications area also disappears when I exit Qobuz .. No unexpected behaviour there either :frowning2:

Qobuz app version: 6.9.0.1 (Qobuz Beta). Have you tried joining the Qobuz Beta program and jump to this newer version?

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2022 at 9:53 AM Post #4,768 of 5,547
My Qobuz mini player in the notifications area also disappears when I exit Qobuz .. No unexpected behaviour there either :frowning2:

Qobuz app version: 6.9.0.1 (Qobuz Beta). Have you tried joining the Qobuz Beta program and jump to this newer version?
My Qobuz Version says 6.9.0.1, too. But I am not a Beta member. ??? In general, I don‘t like to be on Beta, and I switch automatic updates off for the critical apps; due to some not so good experience with UAPP Beta in the past.

I feel we are not getting too much further without the Qobuz folks on AS …

Sep 21, 2022 at 10:00 AM Post #4,769 of 5,547
My Qobuz Version says 6.9.0.1, too. But I am not a Beta member. ??? In general, I don‘t like to be on Beta, and I switch automatic updates off for the critical apps; due to some not so good experience with UAPP Beta in the past.

I feel we are not getting too much further without the Qobuz folks on AS …
Sorry I meant 6.9.1.0 :see_no_evil:

Sep 21, 2022 at 10:31 AM Post #4,770 of 5,547
I have never really had issues with Qobuz betas, at least none that could either be corrected by leaving the beta program and reverting to the release version. And wrt UAPP, Davy is typically really communicative .. and quick in reverting / resolving issues that are discovered in beta.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back