Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Jul 10, 2022 at 5:41 PM Post #4,381 of 5,543
No problems with 1.5 used as external DAC with mine, 3.0 on usb a & c, PC.

Jul 11, 2022 at 2:26 AM Post #4,383 of 5,543
I do not think that the problem is in the hardware - everything worked correctly on 1.4.
Getting USB 2.0 is not a problem, I did it on an old computer with USB 3.0/2.0 through an Apple keyboard, it has a built-in USB 2.0 hub and switches USB 3.0 to 2.0 mode. Everything is working.
A modern computer switches Cayin to USB DAC mode, but not sees Cayin 1.5 as a USB DAC.

P.S. WOW !!! Everything began to work as before with the USB-C cable that was sent to me as a gift with a phone charger.
Sorry for my panic!

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2022 at 4:37 AM Post #4,384 of 5,543
what is the max wattage output from the type c usb of n8ii?
Sorry, not sure what you want to do. If you want to power an external USB device like e.g. a hard disk (SSD), then the USB 3.0 standard (if it specifies an amperage or wattage) should apply. But only Cayin can tell for sure whether the USB-C 3.0 of the N8ii is fully compliant. Powering an external dongle DAC seems a bit pointless. Sorry for not being overly helpful though.

Jul 11, 2022 at 4:52 AM Post #4,385 of 5,543
Hi @Andykong, I was just playing Tidal MQA for testing (…). It occurred to me that there are three (sic!) different legends for the color coding of the home button in your web and hardware materials: The N8ii device Overview page (English) on your website, the printed/online manual (Chinese, English, Japanese) - one finds three different versions of that little table with the colors vs. their rate meanings.

Just wanted to let you know. Of course, we all know what the colors really mean …

Jul 12, 2022 at 9:36 AM Post #4,386 of 5,543
In the context of 'better to ask for forgiveness than for permission' I decided to share the outcome of what @Andykong and @CayinSupport were so good to investigate when I raised this very issue with them:

I can confirm that the OTG workaround solves the issue...
Well, I got my N8ii working as a USB-DAC from my Linux PC. Luckily, my laptop is from 2013 - it still has USB 2.0 ports in addition to the then brand new USB 3.0 ports. Plugging the N8ii into a USB 2.0 port instantly let everything function out of the box.

Other workarounds for more modern computers have been mentioned here.

Thanks again, @WDitters, for relaying the crucial piece of information given by @Andykong and @CayinSupport to us all. I should like to add: I think this information really is worth to be added to the operating manual / website / FAQ in general and in particular here.

Listening to the complete release of the Allman Brothers 1971 Fillmore Concerts in 24/192 right now :). ”Marvelous“ to both this remastering and the N8ii! The proverbial ”I‘m noticing details I never heard before“ plus ”the music gets straight to my heart and feelings“ are not exactly sufficient to put this experience into words…

EDIT: Quite appropriate for marking my 150th hour of running the N8ii.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2022 at 10:59 AM Post #4,387 of 5,543
I use ifi ipower elite to charge my n8ii while playing

....ob
viously the 5V version. I could argue that's an extra $300 device to charge it, but then counter with it being less than one-tenth the cost of the players itself :)

Does it come with all the adapters needed on the device side (USB-C in this case)?

Jul 12, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #4,388 of 5,543
I use ifi ipower elite to charge my n8ii while playing

....ob
viously the 5V version. I could argue that's an extra $300 device to charge it, but then counter with it being less than one-tenth the cost of the players itself :)

Does it come with all the adapters needed on the device side (USB-C in this case)?

Curious if that makes any difference at all ....

Jul 12, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #4,390 of 5,543
I have spent some times to compile this review. During nights of enjoying, comparing, loving the N8ii….still craving it everyday 😊 grab a cup of coffee and enjoy reading!
Wow, what a great and very complete review !
I was looking for a new DAP, I thought initially that LPGT would be the one, but after reading your review on it, I look for something else.
And I found this review !!!
Thanks bro 🙏🙌

@Whitigir : still in love with it ?
Same feelings as when you wrote your review ?

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #4,391 of 5,543
Jul 12, 2022 at 6:43 PM Post #4,392 of 5,543
Wow, what a great and very complete review !
I was looking for a new DAP, I thought initially that LPGT would be the one, but after reading your review on it, I look for something else.
And I found this review !!!
Thanks bro 🙏🙌

@Whitigir : still in love with it ?
Same feelings as when you wrote your review ?
That feelings never left, even at this moment that I don’t have it anymore. I sold it due to some other reasons, the N8ii is still the one that I would recommend everyone who shares similar tastes with mine to get and enjoy right out of the box without further tinkering like swapping amp modules and such :)

Also at this present time where I bought dx320 which uses similar ROHM DAC, I have gotta say that Cayin has some competitions in the solid state performances. But still is the greatest portable with Korg tubes

Jul 12, 2022 at 10:18 PM Post #4,393 of 5,543
what is the max wattage output from the type c usb of n8ii?
300mA
Enough power to read SD card or TF card as OTG storage. M.2 SSD should be OK too but we haven't test them all, especially when M.2 is now available in TB capacity. 300mA is not enough to power a 2.5" HDD or regular SSD, you need to power then via a Y splitter cable if you want to use these as OTG storage for N8ii.

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jul 13, 2022 at 3:01 AM Post #4,394 of 5,543
Hi @Andykong, I was just playing Tidal MQA for testing (…). It occurred to me that there are three (sic!) different legends for the color coding of the home button in your web and hardware materials: The N8ii device Overview page (English) on your website, the printed/online manual (Chinese, English, Japanese) - one finds three different versions of that little table with the colors vs. their rate meanings.

Just wanted to let you know. Of course, we all know what the colors really mean …

We changed the color code when we implement the MQA. Printed manual and online manual are published BEFORE MQA implementation.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jul 13, 2022 at 9:25 AM Post #4,395 of 5,543
300mA
Enough power to read SD card or TF card as OTG storage. M.2 SSD should be OK too but we haven't test them all, especially when M.2 is now available in TB capacity.

I can tell you the N8ii "OTG reads" my Samsung T5 1TB SSD drive (that I have my entire portable library on-- most of which are CPU-intensive ISO files)...perfectly fine with no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back