Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Jun 2, 2022 at 10:21 AM Post #3,961 of 5,538
Cayin N8ii Firmware v1.4EN
https://en.cayin.cn/drive/9/18/577.html

New Functions and System Optimization
1. Added new feature to support 16x MQA Decoding (up to 768kHz).
- Added MQA music playback support for Cayin Music app and HiBy Music app;
- MQA compatible music apps are able to play MQA files on N8ii;
- N8ii is able to decode MQA content from USB DAC input.
2. Added new feature to support “Knob Reverse”, allows users to setup the direction of the volume knob according to your own preference or practical needs.
- When turned off (default setting), N8ii will increase volume by rotating the volume knob clockwise;
- When turned on, N8ii will increase volume by rotating the volume knob anticlockwise.
3. Other bugs fixed and system optimization.
Last night, when I tried to download I was getting error no network check your network status... I reset my network and did everything I can to make sure I had connectivity to internet but the download always failed with same error... on a hunch I decided to click the 3 dots next to the download and saw option to Clear cache, I did and there after the download worked! So if you experience the same clear the cache, the error message is misleading

Jun 2, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #3,962 of 5,538
Last night, when I tried to download I was getting error no network check your network status... I reset my network and did everything I can to make sure I had connectivity to internet but the download always failed with same error... on a hunch I decided to click the 3 dots next to the download and saw option to Clear cache, I did and there after the download worked! So if you experience the same clear the cache, the error message is misleading
Same experience, tried the clear cache also but it continues to fail for me... one reason it usually fails as well is with private DNS but me it's set to off... right now it looks like I am not getting the update OTA.

Cheers for knob reverser :beers:

Edit : Re-cleared the cache a second time and it worked this time... strange...

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #3,963 of 5,538
Same experience, tried the clear cache also but it continues to fail for me... one reason it usually fails as well is with private DNS but me it's set to off... right now it looks like I am not getting the update OTA.

Cheers for knob reverser :beers:

Edit : Re-cleared the cache a second time and it worked this time... strange...
Same here, 2nd attempt at clearing cache worked

Knob reversal just sounds wrong😂😂😂

Jun 2, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #3,964 of 5,538
Announcement of N8ii Firmware V1.4EN

1654183115112.png

New Functions and System Optimisation

1. Add new feature to support 16x MQA decoding (up to 768kHz)
    • Cayin Music app and HiBy Music app can playback MQA music files on N8ii
    • MQA compatible music apps can play/stream MQA files on N8ii.
    • N8ii can decode MQA content from USB DAC input
  2. Added new feature to support “Knob Reverse”, allowing users to set up the direction of the volume knob according to their own preference or practical need.
    • When turned off (default setting), N8ii will increase volume by rotating the volume knob clockwise
    • When turn on, N8ii will increase volume by rotating the volume knob anticlockwise

N8ii Users can update to the latest firmware through OTA updating or manually local updating. Please visit our official website for more information.

You can find out more information regarding the N8ii MQA implementation from our Press Release. For more information about the MQA technologies, please visit www.mqa.co.uk

When Cayin N8ii plays back downloaded MQA files, the screen will either display MQA or MQA Studio on the status bar below the album art, alongside the bit depth and sampling frequency information of the original file. On the other hand, when users playback MQA content via Tidal streaming, N8ii will display the Master icon instead. ‘Master’, ‘MQA’ or ‘MQA Studio’ indicates that the player is decoding and playing an MQA stream or file. ‘MQA Studio’ indicates it is playing an MQA Studio file, which has either been approved in the studio by the artist/producer or has been verified by the copyright owner.

With MQA technologies in place, we have revised N8ii product page to explain the MQA support in more detail.

04 N8ii Music Format.jpg

03 Smart LED Color code.jpg

N8ii supports 16x MQA, with that, N8ii can unfold the MQA file to an impressive 705.6 kHz (~44.1kHz X 16) or 768 kHz (~48kHz x 16). N8ii users probably are peculiar here since they won't find these sampling frequencies from the N8ii playback screen. What happened is that there are two sampling frequencies in a playback chain: the sampling frequency of the music document and the decoding (or outputting) sampling frequency of the DAC circuit. Cayin Music App, like most music players, displayed the former in the playback UI. Since Cayin didn't include any upsampling features in the FPGA, the sampling frequency of the document is always equal to the decoding sampling frequency, ... until the MQA unfolding comes into play.

So can we verify that we are listening to 16x MQA, instead of 8x or 4x? Well, theoretically we should trust Cayin and MQA as a team, when MQA certifies Cayin N8ii as 16x MQA decoder, it should function as claimed and unfold all MQA sources to 16x. Users can rest assured that Cayin understands your concern and has offered a feature to verify the decoding sampling frequency with Cayin Music App.

N8ii Playback sampling frequency.jpg

If you click on the playback information line (below the MQA status) on the Main playback screen of the Cayin Music App, it will pop up a window to display Output Information and the decoding sampling frequency is what we are looking for here. Unfortunately, we can't do that for third-party applications such as Tidal. or at least, I don't know of a way to do that with Tidal app., but since we have proven the 16x MQA support already, I suppose we can feel assured at this point.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jun 2, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #3,965 of 5,538
Newly acquired N8ii has been making my days since yesterday. FW 1.4 installed. Jewel and IER-Z1R sound incredible out of it.

IMG_3160[660].jpg

IMG_3162[654].jpg

Jun 2, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #3,966 of 5,538
Please add the HIFIMAN HE-R10P it offers the same level of excellence in sound reproduction, it's a planar as well

Woah...Fang...i know you are known as the "planar" company, but these are really priced a mind-boggling 6x the cost of the same model's dynamic version? That's crazy....

-------------------------------------------------

I have to say, it amazes me how many head-fier's have some serious disposable income at hand--both these and the Jewel IEMs are 5 grand headphones! Then there's multiple pricey DAPS many members have...

All I have to say to that is.: Congrats on your obvious financial success where you can afford to do that...and I'm downright envious of those that can (even if they maybe rip into that credit card a bit too much) :) haha

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #3,967 of 5,538
Personally don't own any MQA albums or tracks but wanted to test 1.4 FW update for MQA playback via Cayin and Hiby Music app. Playback and indicator as expected per Andy's outline.

Huzzah!

Link for anyone wants to test various formats - http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html?

IMG_5225.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #3,968 of 5,538
I don't use MQA personally, I did try tidal for a while but I can get other services cheaper so that dictates my choice however its good that Cayin have secured MQA, it gives choices

Jun 2, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #3,969 of 5,538
Personally don't own any MQA albums or tracks but wanted to test 1.4 FW update for MQA playback via Cayin and Hiby Music app. Playback and indicator as expected per Andy's outline.

Huzzah!

Link for anyone wants to test various formats - http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html?

Thanks for the link. Tried one Mozart track in DSD256. It does sound tremendous, even for someone like me, who is not into classical music. This format just takes too much place and my FLAC/AIFF/WAV files are good enough.

1603BE70-901A-4EB7-B4D6-401891D5951D.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2022 at 5:43 PM Post #3,971 of 5,538
I only stream music via Tidal and so the N8ii’s MQA function is good news if I decide to get this DAP.

Jun 2, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #3,972 of 5,538
Same track played as above via Tidal MQA. The downloaded digital file DSD256 sounds much better out of the N8ii and the Jewel. Interesting…

17465B78-780C-40F4-9A44-FE128565B37C.jpeg

Jun 2, 2022 at 6:08 PM Post #3,973 of 5,538
Announcement of N8ii Firmware V1.4EN

New Functions and System Optimisation

1. Add new feature to support 16x MQA decoding (up to 768kHz)
    • Cayin Music app and HiBy Music app can playback MQA music files on N8ii
    • MQA compatible music apps can play/stream MQA files on N8ii.
    • N8ii can decode MQA content from USB DAC input
  2. Added new feature to support “Knob Reverse”, allowing users to set up the direction of the volume knob according to their own preference or practical need.
    • When turned off (default setting), N8ii will increase volume by rotating the volume knob clockwise
    • When turn on, N8ii will increase volume by rotating the volume knob anticlockwise

N8ii Users can update to the latest firmware through OTA updating or manually local updating. Please visit our official website for more information.

You can find out more information regarding the N8ii MQA implementation from our Press Release. For more information about the MQA technologies, please visit www.mqa.co.uk

When Cayin N8ii plays back downloaded MQA files, the screen will either display MQA or MQA Studio on the status bar below the album art, alongside the bit depth and sampling frequency information of the original file. On the other hand, when users playback MQA content via Tidal streaming, N8ii will display the Master icon instead. ‘Master’, ‘MQA’ or ‘MQA Studio’ indicates that the player is decoding and playing an MQA stream or file. ‘MQA Studio’ indicates it is playing an MQA Studio file, which has either been approved in the studio by the artist/producer or has been verified by the copyright owner.

With MQA technologies in place, we have revised N8ii product page to explain the MQA support in more detail.

N8ii supports 16x MQA, with that, N8ii can unfold the MQA file to an impressive 705.6 kHz (~44.1kHz X 16) or 768 kHz (~48kHz x 16). N8ii users probably are peculiar here since they won't find these sampling frequencies from the N8ii playback screen. What happened is that there are two sampling frequencies in a playback chain: the sampling frequency of the music document and the decoding (or outputting) sampling frequency of the DAC circuit. Cayin Music App, like most music players, displayed the former in the playback UI. Since Cayin didn't include any upsampling features in the FPGA, the sampling frequency of the document is always equal to the decoding sampling frequency, ... until the MQA unfolding comes into play.

So can we verify that we are listening to 16x MQA, instead of 8x or 4x? Well, theoretically we should trust Cayin and MQA as a team, when MQA certifies Cayin N8ii as 16x MQA decoder, it should function as claimed and unfold all MQA sources to 16x. Users can rest assured that Cayin understands your concern and has offered a feature to verify the decoding sampling frequency with Cayin Music App.

If you click on the playback information line (below the MQA status) on the Main playback screen of the Cayin Music App, it will pop up a window to display Output Information and the decoding sampling frequency is what we are looking for here. Unfortunately, we can't do that for third-party applications such as Tidal. or at least, I don't know of a way to do that with Tidal app., but since we have proven the 16x MQA support already, I suppose we can feel assured at this point.

Andy, thank you for pointing this out. The same in HibyMusic, when you click on sampling rate it shows you the output info with "unfolded" sampling rate :wink: And the home button correctly lit up in "cyan" color.

cayin-n8ii-mqa-02.jpg
cayin-n8ii-mqa-01.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2022 at 6:08 PM Post #3,974 of 5,538
Same track played as above via Tidal MQA. The downloaded digital file DSD256 sounds much better out of the N8ii and the Jewel. Interesting…

Not really :). The Cayin and especially those IEMs should easily be able to discern the resolution difference between pure DSD lossless and (lossy) MQA. They (Meridian) certainly do an admiral job while keeping the file size small..but it's not going to be able to match a true high resolution file like DSD is.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2022 at 6:25 PM Post #3,975 of 5,538

Not really :). The Cayin and especially those IEMs should easily be able to discern the resolution difference between pure DSD lossless and (lossy) MQA. They (Meridian) certainly do an admiral job while keeping the file size small..but it's not going to be able to match a true high resolution file like DSD is.
I have listened to DSD tracks sounding worse than a well-recorded CD ripped on AIFF/FLAC format. Crazy, isn't? :wink: The N8ii and the Jewel might emphasize the difference. Or my brain. Who knows.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back