Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Mar 21, 2022 at 7:40 AM Post #1,906 of 5,538
At least in N6ii, same app different skin. No difference whatsoever otherwise. Agree above - UAPP is better.
Agreed. HiBy is the software partner for Cayin. DTA as the decisive element in the Android audio stack is theirs. And the Cayin player is the same app as the HiBy player except for the skin.

Better players:
- UAPP of course (besides playing local audio files as well as audio files sitting somewhere in your home network, it includes interfaces to Qobuz and Tidal)
- Neutron (similar, except no Q and T interfaces).

Mar 21, 2022 at 9:33 AM Post #1,908 of 5,538
would quobuz sound better thru the uapp app or directly from downloaded direct quobuz on n8ii ?
also,
neutron sounds really great with n8ii
and meze empyrean and n8ii is a match made in heaven!!

Mar 21, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #1,909 of 5,538
would quobuz sound better thru the uapp app or directly from downloaded direct quobuz on n8ii ?
also,
neutron sounds really great with n8ii
and meze empyrean and n8ii is a match made in heaven!!
Unless it’s changed in uapp, in uapp you can not download or save for offline play Qobuz or Tidal playlists. While downloading the Qobuz app directly you can save playlists for offline play.

Mar 21, 2022 at 11:02 AM Post #1,910 of 5,538
Unless it’s changed in uapp, in uapp you can not download or save for offline play Qobuz or Tidal playlists. While downloading the Qobuz app directly you can save playlists for offline play.
This is true, it's the only 'downside' of using these services through UAPP, but if you're mainly streaming direct it's not an issue and to me sounds better than through the native app.

Mar 21, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #1,911 of 5,538
How do I stop the Cayin player from taking over every time I press the side buttons? Don't even want to use your player at all, rather use neutron player. Even changed the settings in neutron to use the side buttons but nope every time I press a side button it stops neutron player and starts the Cayin player.
How do I stop this or do I need to uninstall the Cayin player?

After years of the 220 Max and no side buttons I was overjoyed to be able to change music from my pocket only for this to ruin it all for me.

Mar 21, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #1,912 of 5,538
How do I stop the Cayin player from taking over every time I press the side buttons? Don't even want to use your player at all, rather use neutron player. Even changed the settings in neutron to use the side buttons but nope every time I press a side button it stops neutron player and starts the Cayin player.
How do I stop this or do I need to uninstall the Cayin player?

After years of the 220 Max and no side buttons I was overjoyed to be able to change music from my pocket only for this to ruin it all for me.
Try force stop and disable before turning the other one app on?

Mar 21, 2022 at 11:26 AM Post #1,913 of 5,538
Try force stop and disable before turning the other one app on?
+1, disable the Cayin and HiBy Music apps (can't uninstall them), then Neutron/UAPP will take over. First thing I do with my Android DAPs is disable the stock music app and install UAPP.

Mar 21, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #1,915 of 5,538
Can't wait until the WM1ZM2 and N8ii comparisons come out. Would be interesting as they're both android based DAPs now.

N8ii: 3500 usd
WM1ZM2 :4200 usd

Mar 21, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #1,917 of 5,538
Colloated in this way, it makes me look borderline a little too persistent 🤪

(that said, I remain curious ☺️)
My humble contribution
1. You cannot use the N6ii RO1 with with C9 (it does not support a line out) I own N6ii +E02 and upgraded to R01, N6ii-RO1 is the best sounding of the N6ii period, rich, natural, highly detailed and great resolution, a bit less powerful because the R2R is a passive resistor network so very low distortion.
Compared to the N8ii it sound more hifi, N8ii is supremely natural with even more detail and driving power(I am talking tube mode) there is just so much more magic going on in N8ii, it's like Cayin pulled out all the stops to deliver audio magic without breaking our banks (we audiophiles budgets) but make sure your other components are upto the task, I mean to reveal all that to your ears unfiltered.
Here is my setup.
N8ii, SanDisk Extreme MicroSD 160mb/sec
Arctic Cables Integra(silver+copper) with furutech carbon connectors. Hifiman HE1000SE

Attachments

• 20220321_150640.jpg
    20220321_150640.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 21, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #1,918 of 5,538
My humble contribution
1. You cannot use the N6ii RO1 with with C9 (it does not support a line out) I own N6ii +E02 and upgraded to R01, N6ii-RO1 is the best sounding of the N6ii period, rich, natural, highly detailed and great resolution, a bit less powerful because the R2R is a passive resistor network so very low distortion.
Compared to the N8ii it sound more hifi, N8ii is supremely natural with even more detail and driving power(I am talking tube mode) there is just so much more magic going on in N8ii, it's like Cayin pulled out all the stops to deliver audio magic without breaking our banks (we audiophiles budgets) but make sure your other components are upto the task, I mean to reveal all that to your ears unfiltered.
Here is my setup.
N8ii, SanDisk Extreme MicroSD 160mb/sec
Arctic Cables sigma(silver+copper) with furutech carbon connectors. Hifiman HE1000SE
R01 can be connected to the C9.

Mar 21, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #1,919 of 5,538
What's everyone's thoughts so far on cayin player vs hiby? Can't remember what I used when I had n6ii. UI seems pretty much the same, any difference in sq?
The Cayin is optimized for the player
I tried the hiby with N6ii and it wasn't as good in my ears as the cayin, it was not as smooth in my ears so I switched back to the Cayin and stayed with that even with the N8ii

Users who are viewing this thread

Back