Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Mar 20, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #1,862 of 5,547
As burn in goes along, things get better yet, this is an amazing DAP...

But one thing I can now say : N8ii is getting quite hot (took off the case, pretty apparetn) even in low gain P mode, tube, class A... need to measure this.

On a sidenote : no charging issues :)

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2022 at 3:48 PM Post #1,863 of 5,547
Favorite settings with Ext and Evo. P+. Tubes. Class ab. Really removes all shoutiness while emphasizing world class bass and rumble.

Mar 20, 2022 at 4:24 PM Post #1,864 of 5,547
I don’t care if it gets hot, it just means that the chassis cooling is doing it job extremely well. With everything the N8ii has to offer, this heat is nothing, and as a whole package, it is amazing. The only gripes i have with it is the charging issues ...sigh...

Mar 20, 2022 at 4:48 PM Post #1,865 of 5,547
I wanted to recommend this charger.
Pro:displays charge rate.
Con:led screen very bright and turns off based on it's own internal logic timer.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220321-074500_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20220321-074500_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    781.3 KB · Views: 0
Mar 20, 2022 at 6:10 PM Post #1,866 of 5,547
I don’t care if it gets hot, it just means that the chassis cooling is doing it job extremely well. With everything the N8ii has to offer, this heat is nothing, and as a whole package, it is amazing. The only gripes i have with it is the charging issues ...sigh...
What is the charging issue? I plugged it in last night and it wasn't charging at first. It said something like, "plugged in, but cannot charge at this time." The unit was a bit hot to the touch. Does it need to cool down first?

Mar 20, 2022 at 6:21 PM Post #1,867 of 5,547
I've bought a new charger from the rain forest and it's fast charging like a champ. Also does the PD stuff for those with Samsung. Can also confirm it charges full whack with 2 channels populated.

This one...

Mar 20, 2022 at 6:25 PM Post #1,868 of 5,547
Mar 20, 2022 at 6:28 PM Post #1,869 of 5,547
As burn in goes along, things get better yet, this is an amazing DAP...

But one thing I can now say : N8ii is getting quite hot (took off the case, pretty apparetn) even in low gain P mode, tube, class A... need to measure this.

On a sidenote : no charging issues :)
Agree. 3 days in and it's got more flavour and more refined.

Mar 20, 2022 at 6:54 PM Post #1,870 of 5,547
Agree. 3 days in and it's got more flavour and more refined.
I agree. I am on second day and it sounds better than yesterday.

Will need to listen again to reverify or change first impressions. Red Halo sounds best with P+, tubes, class AB now, too. The greatest improvement overall is in coherence.

Mar 20, 2022 at 7:56 PM Post #1,871 of 5,547
What is the charging issue? I plugged it in last night and it wasn't charging at first. It said something like, "plugged in, but cannot charge at this time." The unit was a bit hot to the touch. Does it need to cool down first?
Yeah, I found that the N8ii refuses to charge when it gets hot. Even when not inside the case, it still not charging. I said that earlier that I think the temperature monitoring for the charging circuit is set a little too low, within the firmware

Mar 20, 2022 at 7:59 PM Post #1,872 of 5,547
Yeah, I found that the N8ii refuses to charge when it gets hot. Even when not inside the case, it still not charging. I said that earlier that I think the temperature monitoring for the charging circuit is set a little too low, within the firmware
Charging causes the battery to warm up. If the device is already "hot" it seems like common sense to disable charging. Not only will it cause damage to the battery, but it might start a fire.

Mar 20, 2022 at 8:10 PM Post #1,873 of 5,547
Charging causes the battery to warm up. If the device is already "hot" it seems like common sense to disable charging. Not only will it cause damage to the battery, but it might start a fire.
I know what you meant, but I think it is still too low.

The device were probably about 41-43C degree when it disabled charging. This is simply under Tubes/AB/P+ Because it was still comfortable to hold in the palm.

But let’s say if that was what the N8II was set at, then Cayin should just disclose it, so people know what is to do in the case they want to charge it up…rather than letting people to figure out by themselves, like walking in the dark

Mar 20, 2022 at 8:18 PM Post #1,874 of 5,547
I agree. After a few tests it looks to be heat related. I charged to 73% and then it suddenly stopped. Unable to charge device in battery settings. Unplug, re-plug over and over, etc. Made sure it got good airflow and waited a few minutes and I was able to start charging again. While playing 24/7 the 1st few days burning in the nutubes, it apparently overheats and stops taking power, wont charge, or discharges. I'll keep mine charged to 100% while I finish playing it 24/7. When I need to charge it, I wont use tube setting or play it at all, if that's a problem too.

Hopefully its a settings tweak and we are not in imminent danger. or just its part of the initial seasoning process?
When I had Shanling M8 it was way hotter a device when it was new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back