Cayin N8 TOTL DAP: KORG Nutube, Dual AK4497, 4.4mm phone/line out
May 14, 2018 at 7:14 AM Post #362 of 3,873
Oh wow very cool thanks for the info Andy.

The volume /menu control knob of our iSeries (iDAP6, iDAC6, iHA6) are inherited from the volume knob of our tube amplifiers, and the triangular control button are tweaked from CDT-17a mk2 and CS-100DAC.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 14, 2018 at 8:44 AM Post #363 of 3,873
How do you like this then?

Looks likely to generate less criticism but also far more generic and cheapens it.

I don't mind the current home button, but agree the volume knob could be a bit smaller. Might also be uncomfortable in your pocket.

Perhaps a very dark gray (off-black) and knobs and colors that are more copper-colored than gold.

Aiming to please everyone is a great way to end up with another version of what everyone else is doing and work against its premium target. I like their bold and unique approach but agree it could be refined slightly.

May 14, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #364 of 3,873
How do you like this then?

Now shrink the top volume knob ;p

Agreed.

Perhaps a very dark gray (off-black) and knobs and colors that are more copper-colored than gold.

Agreed. I was thinking gun-metal grey/black knobs. The home button shape in revised pic is better and color could be kept as gold or copper. The knobs could work in a matte red or blue scheme as well with the grey/black case.

May 14, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #365 of 3,873
Agreed.

Agreed. I was thinking gun-metal grey/black knobs. The home button shape in revised pic is better and color could be kept as gold or copper. The knobs could work in a matte red or blue scheme as well with the grey/black case.
Matte Blue looks disgusting lol. Red is ok.

May 14, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #368 of 3,873
Many on weibo share your thoughts actually, they say it looks like something from ultraman or kamen rider

Google translate is still quite bad for slangs.

Lmao just what I was thinking when I saw the design, it's almost reminds me of a power rangers toy with that gold accent in the middle. Though despite what some might take as bashing im actually digging it lol ^^ very excited to see how this stacks against my QP2R

May 14, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #369 of 3,873
Hi there I am a new follower of the Cayin DAPs, I have never use a dedicated DAP after the good old ipod classic more than 10 years ago which brought me into portable audio, for the past few years I've been using a OPPO HA2 with my iphone for portable listening until now my phone space is always on the low side.

When I try to find a DAP to go with my UERR (3.5mm single ended only, but planning to go 4.4mm balanced soon), I am in a lost with options either all stuffed with ES9018 chips (it's nice as in the OPPO HA2, it's nice but to me shelling out a few hundred or more dollars better to try and experience something else to seek for technology advance) or the balanced option are all 2.5mm which are pretty fragile to me. After browsing forums I found Cayin is going to offer this new lovely N8, TBH I am pretty sure the price will be way over my budget (after all, a married man can't afford >$1000 DAPS unless I want to go to good heaven to give a visit to our god.

Any hint of the N6II will be priced at? or any N5 iii with 4.4mm and newer chipsets such as the AK4497 will be available at similar cost of N5 ii currently?

May 14, 2018 at 10:09 PM Post #370 of 3,873
OK, I just finished writing the press release of Cayin N8 DAP, its a standard quick introduction covering basic headings on input/outputs, digital design, and analogue design. If anyone can guess the key selling point of all three headings, I'll put you in the N8 reviewer list. :beerchug:

Everyone is entitled to one "proposal" only. You can post a new "proposal" to superseded your previous version, but you must not edit your previous proposal (well, typo and non-feature related editing is allowed). This is because when there are more then one proposal get it right, time stamp become an important factor.

I sincerely someone can figure this out and I am truly happy to hang him the N8 for a thorough review.
Let me guess, input will include streaming and optical, output having lineout, 3.5mm single end and 4.4mm, digital design be NOS option, analogue design with be class A and a switchable triode or soilde state for diff favors

May 15, 2018 at 11:32 PM Post #371 of 3,873
F037EF4C-24D5-46CF-A385-10A2B05D892D.jpeg

Front view of the leather case

May 15, 2018 at 11:38 PM Post #372 of 3,873

Front view of the leather case
Looks like we have a solution to the front look problem

Those who don't like the original look can just grab a leather case :D

May 15, 2018 at 11:39 PM Post #373 of 3,873
^
It's just looking worse as we move along here.

One positive is if this DAP is as expensive as folks are speculating I can say there will be no concern of the N8 being stolen if the owner has it out while using.

May 15, 2018 at 11:40 PM Post #374 of 3,873
^
It's just looking worse as we move along here.

One positive is if this DAP is as expensive as folks are speculating I can say there will be no concern of the N8 being stolen if the owner has it out while using.
Like a King in peasant's clothing :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back