Cayin N7: A Voyager of Unexplored Frontier
Jun 17, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #1,306 of 1,852
That's a very fair opinion, but on the other hand, saying the amplification section of N7 is not as good as the amplification section of N8ii is, kind of endorsing Cayin for doing the right job in developing and pricing our products. 😉.

For portability, I find the N7 amp section more than adequate with IEMs and low impedance headphones while on the go. Stacking with C9 at home, takes N7 listening experience further and bringing out the best of your gear.

In our past experience with C9, if you connect N7 to C9 in preamp mode, the overall sound signature will lean towards N7. If you connect them in line-out mode, the overall sound signature will lean towards C9.

In addition, the Line out mode also offers blacker background but the preamp mode can control the IEM/headphone better, especially with hard to driven items. This is because the C9 amplifier is operated at full power when connected with preamp input.

So there are proc and cons, there is no clear winner between the two. :beerchug:

I'm 50 / 50 on preamp vs LO but lean preamp due to N7's signature. As you stated, there's no clear winner but more flexibility to switch things up. :L3000:

Jun 17, 2023 at 1:08 PM Post #1,307 of 1,852
When you guys are talking about amplification is not a mw factor,right? Otherwise the best cayin dap should be the n3pro with 800mw, is quality and tuning , right? Otherwise the ru7 that i bought past week should be better than my Sony 1zm2 because the weak nrs of sony, but no hell no, the sony at the same spl level plays a much more fleshed and deep sound

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #1,308 of 1,852
When you guys are talking about amplification is not a mw factor,right? Otherwise the best cayin dap should be the n3pro with 800mw, is quality and tuning , right? Otherwise the ru7 that i bought past week should be better than my Sony 1zm2 because the weak nrs of sony, but no hell no, the sony at the same spl level plays a much more fleshed and deep sound
There's of course always the sum of all parts in the stock DAPs and it's also not only about the power amount but quality of power.
Question is how far you want to go as usual.
Tsuranagi amp for example was developed around your mentioned Sony M2 (even though it doesn't have true LO, thus will do double amping). Also some IEMs / headphones will react better to amplification than others

Jun 18, 2023 at 2:43 AM Post #1,309 of 1,852
I often read in posts dedicated to Cayin N7, the word "toasted" is associated with it. It seems to me that this DAP has a big problem in managing the heat produced during its use, both used alone and when connected to a portable amplifier.

Jun 18, 2023 at 2:55 AM Post #1,310 of 1,852
I often read in posts dedicated to Cayin N7, the word "toasted" is associated with it. It seems to me that this DAP has a big problem in managing the heat produced during its use, both used alone and when connected to a portable amplifier.
Compared to Sp3k you are right whereas I find the heat relatively Ok if used with a connected C9 - at least C9 is getting hotter than N7 then 😉
PS: I think I have read in this thread that heat distribution over the surface is part of the DAP design.
Remember this discussion from Shanling M8, it has a part called "heat sink" and that DAP was even more toasty like you could want to start cooking eggs on it 😉

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2023 at 3:56 AM Post #1,311 of 1,852

You should experience the Shanling M8 regarding heat.... The N7 definitely gets warm in my experience, but the M8 really got hot, to the point the amplifier section would just cut off and music wouldn't even play. It would appear to be still playing visually in whatever music app being used, but no sound would be generated. This was regardless of what app being used, even their own Shanling music player. After going back and forth with Musicteck, and posting in the Shanling thread, the consensus was simply 'it runs hot', and Shanling didn't even have a fix. The N7 at least remains perfectly functional for however long I use it.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2023 at 5:37 AM Post #1,312 of 1,852
Hello guys.
I have read some posts here using the search but I am asking my question :
I maybe want to try a last staging in my listening experience. I have a Fiio m15s, a c9 and a he1000SE.
I got the C9 this week and, damn, it really changed the presentation of the sound, so much bigger. Crazy.
I don’t want to invest more but maybe a last change for a n7 would be welcome. The n8ii would be a bit redundant (c9 has already tubes timbre and such) so the N7 +C9 is maybe a good bet. I dont think the 9038pro is a bad DAC, but maybe the N7 go further 🤷🏻‍♂️
Any opinion?

Jun 18, 2023 at 6:16 AM Post #1,314 of 1,852
Hello guys.
I have read some posts here using the search but I am asking my question :
I maybe want to try a last staging in my listening experience. I have a Fiio m15s, a c9 and a he1000SE.
I got the C9 this week and, damn, it really changed the presentation of the sound, so much bigger. Crazy.
I don’t want to invest more but maybe a last change for a n7 would be welcome. The n8ii would be a bit redundant (c9 has already tubes timbre and such) so the N7 +C9 is maybe a good bet. I dont think the 9038pro is a bad DAC, but maybe the N7 go further 🤷🏻‍♂️
Any opinion?
That’s a really good pairing.
I own the N7 (owned the N8ii), the C9 and the Tsuranagi as well. I also own the HE1000v2 stealth and the Elite.
To be honest, for the V2stealth, the N7 even without the C9 is a perfect match.

Jun 18, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #1,317 of 1,852
Having fun switching from Class A to AB. I am really enjoying this DAP a lot. Finally figuring it all out.

Jun 18, 2023 at 10:22 AM Post #1,318 of 1,852
Having fun switching from Class A to AB. I am really enjoying this DAP a lot. Finally figuring it all out.

Definitely one of the few DAPs where I can discern differences between Class A and AB.

Enjoy!

Jun 18, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #1,319 of 1,852
Has anyone played with the PEQ in the latest Hiby software update? I was using it yesterday and think it’s such an improvement vs the stock EQ. Can really dial in specific frequencies and the shape of the curves and so forth. Well executed.

Jun 20, 2023 at 2:01 AM Post #1,320 of 1,852
Has anyone been able to compare A&K SE300 to Cayin N7, not only as SQ, but as day-to-day use with IEMs and no external amps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back