Cayin N7: A Voyager of Unexplored Frontier
Apr 24, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #976 of 1,875
Apr 24, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #977 of 1,875
Apr 24, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #979 of 1,875
Thanks for the feedback. If you could only keep one, which one would it be ?

Ugh choices... for pure versatility, discreet-like signature and synergy with my IEMs would go to N7. :hearts: belongs to RS8, though LOL 🤭

Daily on the go, I carry N7 (or DX311/312) and rarely RS8. At home, I'll swap between both though RS8 gets the most until it needs a recharge – RS8 has the longest battery playback time with 12+ hours this is mix of Tidal HiFi streaming and local DSD256 to 1024 playback.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #981 of 1,875
If I were to chip in here as someone who owns N6ii-RO1(R2R) N8ii and N7 discrete 1bit DAC
The N7 has an uncanny way of revealing an enormous amount of detail, such that you can tell the differences in recordings even how the recording microphones were placed, affecting the perceived sound stage and performer placement in the venue, the different noise levels in the recordings affecting clarity etc etc. You will get a hint of that with the N8ii but not at that level, especially when using the N7 as a DAC to a very decent amplifier/headphones combo
If you have a well recorded song in PCM format and DSD format, would you mind sharing some thoughts on the sound differences you perceive between the two formats using the N7 with a good external amp/dac kit? Thanks much

Apr 24, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #982 of 1,875
Which amp modules are you using with DX320? I just did a quick comparison using Supermoon with N7 vs DX320 w/amp14 (nutubes) and the pair up with N7 sounds smoother, more textured, with fuller body mids while DX320 sounds thinner, cleaner, more reference. When you switch N7 to Class A, the sound is even more laidback with Supermoon. But one thing to note, I'm using universal Supermoon which is VERY eartips dependent. With silicone eartips it hurts my ears (bright peaks), so I use them with foam eartips which are Godsend, as you can see from the measurement graph below.

So, custom could be brighter and custom also has two different fits. If you have "artist" fit Supermoon with a longer nozzle, the sound will be even brighter.

cfa-supermoon-19.jpg

With N7 and Supermoon, if you are using uni, I would suggest foam eartips. With custom, not much choice, but maybe try N7 in med gain (avoid high) and switch amp to Class A.
still waiting for your full-review of N7 buddy!

Apr 24, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #983 of 1,875
No, n7 has better trebles
Sounds pretty definitive and a blanket statement... in what way?
Does lower treble have more energy?
Is upper treble more extended?

Which IEMs have you tested this with?

For example N8ii has more lower treble energy than RS8, does that make it better?
If you like more energy there, of course N8ii will be better for you and or for your IEMs depending on pairings.
Same goes for usage. I use my DAPs at home as I don't commute in public transportation. If I did N7 would get bonus points obviously against RS8.
All of those factors contribute to the perception of best for you and people with similar taste, gear and use cases.

N8ii has more upper treble emphasis as well making it sound more impressive technically but this doesn't mean RS8 doesn't extend just as well or is lacking air just that the presentation is different. There is more nuance to my ears to RS8 and it's a more relaxed listen as well due to less lower treble energy. Doesn't mean it's not highly refined and resolving. Balance and relative emphasis of frequency range does matter. Unless you're spending all your listen in critical mode you're not dissecting everything it's a whole and coherence is of the essence here.

I am pretty confident RS8 is more analog sounding both class A and even with N8ii Tubes ON.
Take this with a grain of salt as implementation is key and the amp stage can make or break a DAP but R2R seems to be more analog sounding than Delta Sigma with Korg NuTubes. Rohm's DAC is a beauty and a great addition to the market but there is something to R2R that is different when implemented the way it is in RS8.

I am expecting N7 to be an interesting Cayin take on a very similar architecture and components (just like I can't wait to compare what Shanling has done on M9 Plus with Quad 4499EX and AK4191 Delta-Sigma modulators compared to AK similar components with SP3K). Inevitably some will say SP3K is way "better" than M9 Plus, and some will love Shanling often polarizing tuning choices (I have fond memories of M9 but like M8 I also owned, it was polarizing...).

Anyway I say it will be different and it's great to have options on top notch technical architecture and in the end, what matters is how we enjoy those babies.

What doesn't matter is being "right" (this doesn't make sense and lacks nuance IMHO) but finding the right one for you and sharing why it's right for you helps people knowing if it's right for them.

So obviously I can't speak for N7 yet and I am sure it features the superb Cayin tuning touch so pretty sure it will be complimentary to Hiby house sound (what more can we ask for? we get two house sounds of similar components and architecture!). This is great and has always been great with the Cayin/Hiby synergy. Every one can get what they prefer. Or both if you can afford it :D

I suspect your opinion has more to do with pairings and personal preferences (and it doesn't matter to me if 1 million people say the same, what does make an informed opinion valid is substance not quantity). Rating DAPs and IEMs has a part of objective elements of course but that's only part of the story and subjectivity of personal preferences, what kind of music you listen to and the big forgotten item what volume you listen to makes a big difference in appreciation of what is "better".

Just my two cents on this even if I have not yet heard N7... I have been around the block a few times :wink:

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2023 at 3:29 AM Post #987 of 1,875
Just my two cents, in the PCM-dominated streaming world, RS8 is the best thing that there is out there.
Definitely great that the option exist, so RS6, RS8 and N7 are a welcome and bold move to implement R2R in DAPs :clap:

Apr 26, 2023 at 3:33 AM Post #988 of 1,875
Definitely great that the option exist, so RS6, RS8 and N7 are a welcome and bold move to implement R2R in DAPs :clap:
IIRC the N7 is not R2R, it's just resistor network based?

Apr 26, 2023 at 6:15 AM Post #989 of 1,875
Question for those who own the N7 and haven’t activated the battery charge limitation, does the battery charges fully to 100 % or stops before that ?
What would explain that ?

Apr 26, 2023 at 6:49 AM Post #990 of 1,875
Just got my N7, super fast delivery from Hifonix (thanks!). When its in the case, the power button is virtually unuseable. It requires a very firm press to cause any effect. Just now I managed to get the 'power off' icon to appear after pressing the power button via the case, it then powered down as expected but then proceeded to boot straight back up again. There is no feeling of power button movement when its in the case unlike the other side buttons. It feels like the case is causing the button to stick. If I squeeze the case from top and bottom sides I can hear the button 'pop' out. I am hoping this is something that in a short time will sort itself out with use of the case.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back