Cayin N7: A Voyager of Unexplored Frontier
Apr 15, 2023 at 5:04 AM Post #916 of 1,875
OK folks, some of my knowledge of this hobby is good, some is very good and some is patchy.

The patchy - give me a simple DSD explanation!
I see software that says it can convert my FLAC files to DSD
I don't see many DSD UK based sites where I can purchase music

Now here's the bit where I need some real guidance, I'm assuming from what I'm reading that the N7 can decode PCM to DSD, can it do this for FLAC files?

I apologise in advance for what may be simple questions but I've never ventured much past FLAC files on my DAPs
Hi @McCol, a bit more explanations I feel I could add for you, as it is important to capture the underlying structure.

There are two basic methods of converting analog audio to digital, PCM and DSD.

One needs to distinguish the many methods to store the resulting digital audio data as a file on any storage medium like hard disk, SD card, or internal storage of a DAP.
1.) There are lossless filing methods, and there are lossy filing methods; the latter exist in order to save space to various extents.
Considering only lossless:
2.) We have those files that store digital audio content 1:1, i.e. using up the biggest space:
a) For PCM, these are file types like *.wav
b) For DSD, these are *.dsf and *.dff files
3.) And we have file type that do lossless compression (think of zipping) to save space:
c) For PCM, the one used most often is *.flac files, gaining about 50%
d) There are compression file types for DSD, too, but I‘ll leave that topic to your own web search

Hope to have given a little clarification, in particular by pointing out the distinction between audio formats and file types.

Sorry for brevity, and for skipping the Apple world.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2023 at 6:09 AM Post #917 of 1,875
Headfonics posted a comprehensive Cayin N7 review today.
"The Cayin N7 is the kind of DAP that invigorates your listening experience with headgear that perhaps over time you have gotten a bit blasé about. It may not be the final word in exacting detail like its flagship sibling, the N8ii but I personally find its ability to image and scale a soundstage on a regular IEM to be incredibly refreshing."

Marcus holds Cayin N7 in high regard, please check out the full review to read about Marcus' detailed sound analysis and favorite IEM pairings if you are considering N7 or planning to purchase a new DAP in this price range. A must-read IMHO.

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 15, 2023 at 3:31 PM Post #920 of 1,875
Anyone else have issues with the included USB C cable not working to use the N7 as an external DAC? I can connect the N7 as an external DAC with a different USB cable, but the included cable keeps disconnecting.

Apr 17, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #923 of 1,875
Hello everyone,

Question?

I just got the HE1000V2 steath. He is very very good!
I use it with a dap 90%of the time. Because I listen to it while moving.

I would like to upgrade my Fiio M11pro. What do you recommend?

The Fiio M17 for its power with my HE1000 V2 Steath. (93db 32ohm)
Or A Cayin N7 with 500mw?
Other?

I like the natural side of analog music, the timbre of the instruments and also a very beautiful soundstage as 3D as possible.

Will the N7 be too light in power? And better to go on the M17 even if it's less musical?

Have any of you tested on this kind of headphones?

thank you very much to all

Apr 17, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #924 of 1,875
Headfonics posted a comprehensive Cayin N7 review today.

Marcus holds Cayin N7 in high regard, please check out the full review to read about Marcus' detailed sound analysis and favorite IEM pairings if you are considering N7 or planning to purchase a new DAP in this price range. A must-read IMHO.

connecting n 7 with ipad air with supplied usb c cable cin n7 i don't hear anything and i can't locate the usb dac option

Marcus wrote in his review that the N7 needs more than 500mA to work as a DAC, hence USB 2.0 doesn't provide enough power.
Maybe same is with your iPad. Have you tried to use a USB Hub between your iPad and the N7?

Apr 17, 2023 at 6:11 PM Post #926 of 1,875
Hello all, Some were writing about online sources for DSD music, and I can recommend High Definition Tape Transfers https://www.highdeftapetransfers.ca/ a small Canadian company that has built an impressive catalogue of classical and jazz releases, culled from pristine tape or LP sources and remastered up to DSD256. The famous Boston Symphony Orch. Saint-Saens Organ Symphony recording of 1959 is simply not to be believed! Most classical releases are from RCA Living Stereo, Mercury or Decca, while the jazz catalogue features a who's who of classic jazz from Verve, Blue Note, etc. Try it out on the N7!

Apr 17, 2023 at 6:40 PM Post #927 of 1,875
Hello all, Some were writing about online sources for DSD music, and I can recommend High Definition Tape Transfers https://www.highdeftapetransfers.ca/ a small Canadian company that has built an impressive catalogue of classical and jazz releases, culled from pristine tape or LP sources and remastered up to DSD256. The famous Boston Symphony Orch. Saint-Saens Organ Symphony recording of 1959 is simply not to be believed! Most classical releases are from RCA Living Stereo, Mercury or Decca, while the jazz catalogue features a who's who of classic jazz from Verve, Blue Note, etc. Try it out on the N7!
Have you or any other lucky N7 owners try to do an A-B comparison of a very high quality recorded song on Flac format versus the same song with a DSD format? I find it a bit sad to have to duplicate a music collection. I'm sure most of us have large collections of regular Flac (or other standard lossless formats or hi-res). At this point, is the 1 bit technology really what companies should develop or continue to maximize the performance of R2R. BTW I'm in no way trying to say the N7 is not the greatest, or at least one of the greatest DAP on the market right now, I'm definitely going to buy one soon! :wink:

Apr 18, 2023 at 2:43 AM Post #928 of 1,875
and how to give power with ipad air? do i need to change usb c cable?
You need a powered USB C hub with USB 3.1 connector for the N7.
Sorry, I cannot test that. I don't have an iPad.

Apr 18, 2023 at 4:41 PM Post #929 of 1,875
i connected N7 to macbook pro by means of cayin cable this situation appears as dac and i don't hear anything. where am i wrong now? forgive me for asking, but I want stubborn N7 in all its main functions, I got it as a laptop and as a substitute for a desktop dac to complement my desktop amplifier and use it as a dac for my macbook pro.

Attachments

• IMG_2971.jpeg
    IMG_2971.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Apr 18, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #930 of 1,875

Users who are viewing this thread

Back