Cayin N7: A Voyager of Unexplored Frontier
Apr 9, 2023 at 3:32 AM Post #886 of 1,852
Hello, I'm looking for a upper-mid end game for my Meze 109 Pro, the Cayin N7 seems to be an interesting choice. Should I buy a full-fledged stack (Bifrost 2/64 and ifi Pro Ican Sig come to mind) or just this small cute but mighty DAP like this?
I think N7 should pair well with 109 Pro. And for just 109 Pro, you don’t need to get a full fledged stack. Get it if you are intending on getting more headphones. Shanling H7 and 109 Pro has excellent synergy for me. That’s one more option for you.

Apr 9, 2023 at 3:59 AM Post #887 of 1,852
I think N7 should pair well with 109 Pro. And for just 109 Pro, you don’t need to get a full fledged stack. Get it if you are intending on getting more headphones. Shanling H7 and 109 Pro has excellent synergy for me. That’s one more option for you.
Yeah, that's what I thought too, the 109 are very easy to drive, but I also have a plan to buy the Atrium and want to drive both of them properly. Thanks for the reply!

Apr 9, 2023 at 6:29 AM Post #888 of 1,852
Any feedbacks on the pairing of N7 with Traillii and D9200? I’m interested in N7 to have a Dap more on the warm analogue side to complement my other Daps.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2023 at 8:45 AM Post #891 of 1,852
May I ask what exactly do you mean by "stringy"?
They sound amazingly good, the tube adds some more body and timbre realism.
I rank them together with the Elite.
Not stringy, stingy. Stinging, like putting a needle somewhere it does not belong to.
Only certain tracks, only ocassionaly. As far as I remember it was female vocals, upper mids/lower treble where my pain level is very low anyways. Lowering volume may have helped, but the where remains the fun?
Lower frequency regions perhaps even cleaner than the Elite.

Apr 9, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #893 of 1,852
Not stringy, stingy. Stinging, like putting a needle somewhere it does not belong to.
Only certain tracks, only ocassionaly. As far as I remember it was female vocals, upper mids/lower treble where my pain level is very low anyways. Lowering volume may have helped, but the where remains the fun?
Lower frequency regions perhaps even cleaner than the Elite.
Yes, three is just a hint of upper mids emphasis that I don't find it annoying or piercing and it depends on the recording.
The headphone is ruthlessly revealing and transparent.

Apr 10, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #894 of 1,852
very very unusual experience I should say! there is air between every note, sound is so laid back but has weight and punch. I don't know yet how to review N7... is there any changes during burn in?
photo_2023-04-10_20-21-28.jpg

Apr 10, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #896 of 1,852
Apr 10, 2023 at 7:29 PM Post #897 of 1,852
very very unusual experience I should say! there is air between every note, sound is so laid back but has weight and punch. I don't know yet how to review N7... is there any changes during burn in?
photo_2023-04-10_20-21-28.jpg
skylinekursk

Yes, there is a pretty noticable change with burn in.
I asked Andy here and he mentioned 50 hours of burn, and anything after would be marginal gains, but I ran in a 75 hour burn in with a quick listen at 50 hours and again when I completed 75 hours (had a quick business trip so leaving it on for another 20+ hours was not an issue) and I still heard some changes and don't think its brain burn in as only took quick listens with tracks I use for reference at unboxing, at 50 hours and again when I got back with 75 hours and noticed the sound became sweeter a little additonal layering some changes L/R in soiundstage but big difference in soundstage F/B as well as with sub bass.
I've got about another 15 hours on the N7 and it seems to have leveled off but occasionally get a surprise and have to relisten to the track again
Out of the box and at 50 hours I definitely could hear a difference between my N8ii and the N7.
Now they are close, but the N8ii with tubes can sound a little nicer, but they are close.
I'm still not ready to pass on a final verdict but like the direction it is going.
Out of the box and with several new IEM's I've acquired there was a marked difference between the 2 Cayin DAP'sbut not anymore. Close enough that to me I'd like to see the next N8ii (or N9) be a combo of the N8ii's Nutubes with the 1Bit DAC of the N7.
Getting ready to run my N7 into my C9 and also try another amp borrowed from a friend, and I think it will prove out that N7/N8ii combo, it will be great.
But this is IMO, and YMMV

Apr 11, 2023 at 8:45 AM Post #898 of 1,852
2 questions for you owners of this DAP-
Does using UAPP make a significant upgrade in the sound quality like it does on the N6ii/RO1?
Can it handle a 1.5TB Micron card without issues?
Thanks!

Apr 11, 2023 at 11:04 AM Post #899 of 1,852
What does the "max battery" setting do? It charges above anyway, so I guess it's not working like other battery percentage limiters?

Apr 11, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #900 of 1,852
2 questions for you owners of this DAP-
Does using UAPP make a significant upgrade in the sound quality like it does on the N6ii/RO1?
Can it handle a 1.5TB Micron card without issues?
Thanks!
I don't notice much of an improvement with UAPP as I think that this device already bypasses android's internal processing already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back