Cayin N7: A Voyager of Unexplored Frontier
Apr 2, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #828 of 1,852
Delete

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #829 of 1,852
Hi, I bought a DSD512 song from Nativedsd and downloaded it to my PC, now I need to transfer the file to the MicroSD card and then insert it into my N7. How should I format the MicroSD card?

If you're exclusively Windows, NTFS is fine. Personally, I prefer ExFat for cross platform compatibility.

If you're using the NativeDSD downloader, copy the entire album folder over to microSD:

https://help.nativedsd.com/en/articles/3204814-nativedsd-downloader-user-manual

Screenshot 2023-04-02 at 2.47.43 PM.png

Apr 2, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #830 of 1,852
Has anyone a recommendation for the best software for transferring to the N7 from a Mac? - I've been using Android File Transfer and it is incredibly hit and miss, mostly miss. I recall asking this before, not sure where now and did get a couple of paid options suggested but forgot to take note! Strangely, some Android devices less fussy than others - my Shanling M6U for example tends to work most times.

Apr 2, 2023 at 4:11 PM Post #831 of 1,852
Still burning N7, but only listening it and more I listen more I love this dap.
I adore it with Fitear TG334, fantastic matching!🤩

Apr 2, 2023 at 6:36 PM Post #832 of 1,852
Scuba -- How would you say the sound signature of the N7 compares with the Shanling H7??

Apr 2, 2023 at 7:35 PM Post #833 of 1,852
Has anyone a recommendation for the best software for transferring to the N7 from a Mac? - I've been using Android File Transfer and it is incredibly hit and miss, mostly miss. I recall asking this before, not sure where now and did get a couple of paid options suggested but forgot to take note! Strangely, some Android devices less fussy than others - my Shanling M6U for example tends to work most times.
Commander One is a good option.

Apr 3, 2023 at 2:38 AM Post #835 of 1,852
I would say both DX320X (with amp11mk2) and H7 are more neutral with a bit of bass boost (H7 leaning a bit warmer vs DX320X) - N7 has a smoother profile, with more full bodied and richer mids, yet still very detailed. Vocals and instruments in the mid range sit quite forward on N7 in comparison, with a vibrancy and fullness where you almost feel you can touch them… but again, the overall delivery is still across a large soundstage with excellent detail. N7 has that more analogue type profile, where the others lean more towards a neutral signature with clarity and I guess a more digital slant.

I had hoped I would prefer one over the other (DX320X and N7), and ultimately sell one but they are both quite unique and serve different purposes for my collection - I prefer the extra power and neutral signature for example with DX320X and my Denon D9200 headphones, whereas the N7 is my preference with my recently arrived Camelot or Fibae 5.

Apr 3, 2023 at 11:52 AM Post #836 of 1,852
I would say both DX320X (with amp11mk2) and H7 are more neutral with a bit of bass boost (H7 leaning a bit warmer vs DX320X) - N7 has a smoother profile, with more full bodied and richer mids, yet still very detailed. Vocals and instruments in the mid range sit quite forward on N7 in comparison, with a vibrancy and fullness where you almost feel you can touch them… but again, the overall delivery is still across a large soundstage with excellent detail. N7 has that more analogue type profile, where the others lean more towards a neutral signature with clarity and I guess a more digital slant.

I had hoped I would prefer one over the other (DX320X and N7), and ultimately sell one but they are both quite unique and serve different purposes for my collection - I prefer the extra power and neutral signature for example with DX320X and my Denon D9200 headphones, whereas the N7 is my preference with my recently arrived Camelot or Fibae 5.
Hey would you be so kind to share some thoughts on N7 versus LGPT ?

Apr 3, 2023 at 2:29 PM Post #838 of 1,852
Sure, I’ll have to spend a bit of time to a/b but will do during the week. Very different beasts! Do you have LPGT?
Nope I just trying to figure out what are the main differences between both to have an idea whats best suits my needs...course on all reviews N7 looks as my choice for purchase... But I do like LPGT as well despite feel like it's slightly kind outdated and doesnt have pure lineout and since you have both I would like to know what do you think about these two

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #839 of 1,852
Cayin N7.

This is my first Cayin device, and what an experience!
I must to say that my preferences are DAPs and IEMs.

In my collection are Astell&Kern SP2000 Cu, Kann Alpha, FiiO M17 and Shanling M8.

Astell SP2000 was my favorite player…

On IEMs side, Empire Ears Odin, Legend Evo (sold), Sony IER-Z1R, Campfire Andromeda, 64 Audio Fourté, QDC Anole VX and Kinera Nanna.

My favorite is Odin 🧙🏻‍♂️
Since Cayin N7, even more.
Also important to say, I love jazz! 🎷 Almost 90% of my Flac Hi Res and DSD collection is on this genre.

Cayin N7 is so unique DAP. It’s beautiful, and well designed, with useful buttons and volume wheel. SP2000 wins on industrial design and materials, but N7 stands strong.

But the important thing, how it sounds?

A M A Z I N G ! !

The sound has a strong personality, it’s bold, powerful, highly detailed and with a superb imaging.

But the fist aspect that catches attention, is the natural timbre of instruments and a huge soundstage, wide and deep. Even with Odin, an IEM that doesn’t posses a wide stage.

IMG_2858.jpeg

Bass.

N7 has a strong bass expression, it’s well balanced on all frequencies with high levels of detail. Counter-bass artists like Christian McBride provides a lot of nuances on his improvisations. N7 posses the ability to shows every aspect on McBrides explorations. The rip of strings are powerful and natural, an analogue feeling.

N7 push Odin boundaries to another level, with more body on bass and mids.

Mids.

On mids, N7 preserves the natural feeling of each instrument timbre, it’s not a melted mid experience as A&K, but quite enjoyable. All the details are there, ready to fly thru your favorite IEM. Piano 🎹sounds delicious, as an example, DSD album Midnight Sugar from Yamamoto Trio has a lifelike expression on each piano note.

IMG_2544.jpeg

Also, flamenco guitar’s are a revelation on N7, beautiful acoustic feeling, so natural. Réquiem from Vicente Amigo can transport you to another dimension with a variety of guitars and voices plenty of texture, both, female and male.

About DSD tracks, doesn’t need special volume compensation and sound superb. N7 design is impressive on DSD files.

Highs.

Highs are extended and controlled, N7 can mitigate that crazy horse called Fourté from 64 Audio. No problem here, highs extend away in a very enjoyable experience.

Not so airy but you get body on cymbals. Also you can enjoy all the energy of Miles Davis or Christian Scott trumpets 🎺 , a little bit rounded but without losing information.

N7 it’s a true marvel, great user experience with streaming service as Qobuz preserving his unique sound signature.

It’s hard to say that N7 is superior than A&K SP2000, I prefer to declare they are different.

Paired with EE Odin, N7 without doubt it’s the choice for me. You can feel all the energy from jazz improvisations, truly dynamic and expressive.
IMG_2868.jpeg

Apr 4, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #840 of 1,852

Is N7, a complementary to H7 according to you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back